Ruger LCP VS Taurus TCP 380s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
vito said:
I guess the definition of a quality gun varies by what criteria you use. My Ruger P97 that I have had for many years is accurate and absolutely reliable. It is an inexpensive steel and polymer gun. For me it is a lot better gun than my Kimbe.r that cost triple what the Ruger cost, was all steel, but unreliable in its functioning

Agreed ... now compare the workmanship between your P 97 and an LCP or an LC 9.

That is what I am talking about. Not the fact that it has polymer parts ... there is a difference between having polymer parts and being built cheaply.

REV

dlay

Bearcat
revhigh said:
vito said:
I guess the definition of a quality gun varies by what criteria you use. My Ruger P97 that I have had for many years is accurate and absolutely reliable. It is an inexpensive steel and polymer gun. For me it is a lot better gun than my Kimbe.r that cost triple what the Ruger cost, was all steel, but unreliable in its functioning

Agreed ... now compare the workmanship between your P 97 and an LCP or an LC 9.

That is what I am talking about. Not the fact that it has polymer parts ... there is a difference between having polymer parts and being built cheaply.

REV

It is a tool, will work, low maintainence, not a target pistol by any means but it will work when you pull the trigger. This is what it was made for and one that is no problem to carry. It is only pistol that I have that I carry every day consistentlyl

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
dlay said:
It is a tool, will work, low maintainence, not a target pistol by any means but it will work when you pull the trigger. This is what it was made for and one that is no problem to carry. It is only pistol that I have that I carry every day consistentlyl

I have no issue with this. It is also true that some plastic pistols and non-plastic have issues when fired in great quantity. I know that Rev enjoys a steel gun as I do, we both own some plastic ones but when it comes to something to cherish or hold on to, it won't be some plastic fantastic. Glocks and some other large frame plastic pistols hold up well enough from breakage, you find as they get smaller they tend to fall apart sooner. I own an SR9 (I consider that a large frame) that has taken a fairly large amount of abuse and it shows, more so than with some other metal framed guns that have been shot far more. The SR9 still shoots fine and is reliable but it is wearing in some spots and is a bit loose.

hittman

Staff member
An FFL buddy of mine who has access to NEW guns at wholesale and more access to used guns than most of us can possibly imagine, carries a Makarov or a CZ.

I tend to agree .... like cars, many guns are carbon copies of what can be made for the least money but appeal to the largest audience.

If we had open carry here I'd likely carry the CZ75 or P90.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'm guessing a lot of these LCP or other plastic fantastic proponents have never even fired .... let alone handled the likes of a CZ75, Browning HiPower, Colt 1911, Colt Python, S&W 29, Sig 226 or any other truly high quality firearm to even have a point of reference.

REV

dlay

Bearcat
revhigh said:
I'm guessing a lot of these LCP or other plastic fantastic proponents have never even fired .... let alone handled the likes of a CZ75, Browning HiPower, Colt 1911, Colt Python, S&W 29, Sig 226 or any other truly high quality firearm to even have a point of reference.

REV

You are comparing apples and grapefruits, totaly different purposes, I am not saying a lcp is in the league of these, but for ever day carry I will take the lcp, simply because the others are too heavy and you will not carry them day in and day out. To each his own, I have my eye candy ones also.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
hittman said:
An FFL buddy of mine who has access to NEW guns at wholesale and more access to used guns than most of us can possibly imagine, carries a Makarov or a CZ.

I tend to agree .... like cars, many guns are carbon copies of what can be made for the least money but appeal to the largest audience.

If we had open carry here I'd likely carry the CZ75 or P90.

I recently PM'ed Rev about CZ discontuning the CZ 83, a pistol that I believe is the end all and be all of the older design compact .380 ACP also in .32 ACP and a Mak 9x18 (CZ82).
I owned a nice Bersa many years ago and I replaced it with a CZ 83, it was my second CZ ever owned and even though I liked that Bersa just fine, that CZ 83 was miles ahead of it it style, grip, function and accuracy. I really love that gun but I don't shoot it all that much as it's my only .380 and I don't reload for it.
My favorites as many know are those CZ 75 based 9mm pistols that seem to occupy many of areas of my home but that CZ 83 is just a wonderful gun, it's production life ended by smaller and lighter and cheaper, less lovable plastic fantastics. It would have been the same as if the Glock replaced all 1911's being made, a travesty of class.

revhigh

Hawkeye
dlay said:
revhigh said:

REV

You are comparing apples and grapefruits, totaly different purposes, I am not saying a lcp is in the league of these, but for ever day carry I will take the lcp, simply because the others are too heavy and you will not carry them day in and day out. To each his own, I have my eye candy ones also.

I was talking about the general look and feel of the gun the quality workmanship not t
hat they compete directly with the guns I listed. These new cheap plastic guns make the Lorcins and Jennings of days gone by look good.

REV

dlay

Bearcat
Carry whatever trips your trigger, I once knew a man that carried two 1911s, would do the job, but were a bit heavy, I like the lcp.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Here is a pic of my CZ 83 with one of my CZ P-01 compact 9mm pistols, which is about the same size as a Glock 19. As you can see the .380 ACP CZ 83 isn't much smaller than the 9mm P-01. I can see why someone would want a smaller gun for carry, although both of these are capable of tight concealed holster carry. My guess is that CZ will jump into the mini .380 or even the ultra small 9mm market and that is why they dropped the '83 but that '83 is a kick to shoot.

photo18_zps170f8f94.jpg

I have a DB9 9mm that's about the size of an LCP, smaller than an LC9 by a longshot, it is no fun to shoot and has reached it's half life at about 800 rounds.