Tank Safety trigger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

soupy

Bearcat
Folks ,
I've got a 1973 / 74 vintage M77 tang safety 30-06 . I bought it new and have hardly shot it until this last year . Had a 3x9x40 VX II put on it and it wouldn't group under 3" with 150 or 165 grain bullet handloads . So I had the barrel free floated and the action bedded - went to 180 gr loads and it grouped this week to a clover leaf about 1/2 " .This was only 50 yards from a half as%$* rest . I ran out of time for 100 yard shooting .
I don't know the twist on these rifles but I'm going to guess 1/10 because it seems to like the heavier bullets . Has anyone else had these results ?
Also do these rifles have a long throat as seating the bullet way out there seemed to help ? Do you have a lon COL ?

Now I want to move to the trigger which is 4.25 lbs. -thats after I made all the adjustment I'm comfortable in making . I'm looking at 2 replacement triggers -Basix and Timney . The Basix seems to be just a replacement part and the Timney looks like a job . I'm not against having a smith install the the Timney or tackling it myself , but before I do I would appreciate any information youall can give on the pros / cons of each .

PLEASE , any help you can pass on about the above issues will be greatly appreciated .

Sorry for the long post . Thank you in advance for your time , help & consideration .
Semper Fi,
Soup

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
My response probably won't help much. I have a Timney on my 416T. I have a Basix on a 22 250. I like them both. The basix doesn't seem to have many parts, but really, from a user's finger, there doesn't seem to be much difference if the properly installed and adjusted. I would say, if my Taylor doesn't shake something mechanical apart, it must be pretty well put together. I told you I probably wasn't much help.
:D Bfly

martyj

Blackhawk
I do know with the timney trigger you will have to make room for it to fit into the stock.
The screw on the timney will bottom out before your action does and that causes problems. Also the safety wire rubs on side too.
That was my experience anyway with timney and Ruger 77.

JimHnSTL

Single-Sixer
i have never adjusted an older tang safety trigger but i was under the impressions from what i have read here and elsewhere that the earlier model M77 such as yours had enough adjustment avaiable in the design to get the trigger pull way below your 4.5lbs you're at now. could someone with experiance chime in on what is realisticly expected in terms of adjustment available by someone who is competant and schooled in the older trigger design?

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I'm betting that you free-floating the barrel and bedding the action on your '06 was the fix for your accuracy problems, not the switch to 180 gr. bullets. Although every rifle will show certain preferences, you might want to re-try the 150 and 165 grain bullets again, no reason they wouldn't shoot better than those initial results you were getting.

soupy

Bearcat
Folks ,
First I thank you all for your information and response . Next I express my regrets for spelling TANK vs TANG safety .
Update , I purchased a Basix sear and installed it last night . Very straight forward and uncompli :mrgreen: cated installation , the instructions were easy to follow and complete in content . I currently have the trigger pull @ 3.25 pounds and I don't think I want to go lower with a hunting rifle . Even though I don't wear a glove on my right hand when I'm in my stand it is still normally cold and a lighter pull could be detremental rather than an aid . If our weather breaks I'll get to shoot it next week . I am going to retry the 165 grain bullets - also got a better COL measurement and the throat is not as long as I imagined .
PLEASE - if you have any further information I can use it . We all benefit from fellow shooters first hand knowledge .
Happy Birthday Saturday to all the Marines !!!
Happy Veterans Day Sunday to all the Gallant men and women that have made my Country safe -I thank you .
SEMPER FI ,
Soup