Tang Safety RSI Stock Conversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

toddsmith8075

Bearcat
A few years ago I purchased a beautiful tang safety M77 .308 RSI. I found it online as none were showing up at local gun shows. Well, after one session at the range I noticed that the stock was cracked. I posted pics on here long ago...

Called Ruger - no tang safety RSI stocks. Found after market stocks, but they were going to cost more than I paid for the rifle to begin with...

I was going to ask a friend to repair and perhaps bed the rifle for me - but that too would probably end up costing as much as I paid for the rifle to begin with.

So... Last weekend I found one of the Zytel boat paddle stocks at a local gun show and even though I LOVE the looks of the full length RSI stock - I always wondered if that would cost me accuracy. (At least until bedded.)

Of course the Zytel stock did not fit - but after about three hours with a Dremel tool it did. It's not a perfect fit, but the end result is a weather proof lightweight stock that does not touch the barrel anywhere except at the attachment point of the recoil lug.

How it was...

Online sources say that rifles mounted in these stocks are not 'free floated', but I can run a dollar bill all the way back with no contact.

Sure I lost the graceful lines of the pretty little RSI, but I got my rifle back and it may end up being the best thing I could have done for this rifle as far as accuracy goes.

How it is...

It ends up being a slick little package. I have not taken it to the range yet - and am holding my breath hoping for good results when I finally do shoot it.

I wanted to share this because it might be something that hasn't been considered by some Ruger shooters that might end up being a slick combination.

toddsmith8075

Bearcat
BTW - The only areas I had to Dremel were a spot for the tang safety to seat, just a touch for the back of the receiver, a little little stock removal for the action to seat in one spot, and the back of the trigger guard. Everything else dropped into place. Oh, I did have to 'waller out' the hole in the stock for the bolt that goes through the back of the trigger guard up and into the back of the receiver. I did it all free hand with the Dremel tool.

RJ556

Buckeye
Todd,

Great job! I did something similar, about 20 years ago, to a Remington M600. I installed its barreled action in a Remington Model 7 synthetic stock. All it took was a Dremel, epoxy and time. It came out real well and I still have the rifle to this day.

toddsmith8075

Bearcat
Blackhawk,

Thanks! I wanted to share the tip in case anyone else found themselves in a similar situation. At least I have a good all-around rifle now in a short compact package that will probably allow the barrel to be as accurate as it is able.

I hear that barrels in the 1980's were hit and miss... My fingers are still crossed. :)

todd

pamtnman

Bearcat
Just me speaking my personal preferences, old/ collectible/ discontinued nice guns like the RSI should be left alone and original. You can have a replacement stock made from any wood you choose. Lots of stock makers can put the old cracked stock in a duplicator and give you a brand new stock in days. From $75-$100.

toddsmith8075

Bearcat
I would have LOVED to keep the gun original. I MUCH prefer the look of the full length stock and the lines of the original Ruger stock. If you have any leads on a stock maker that can duplicate what I have for $75.00 - $100.00 please let me know.

pamtnman

Bearcat
Hey Todd. Where do you live?
My suggestion is to find a black powder gun maker and start there. Those guys know all the stock makers around. With modern duplicators so ubiquitous now, finding someone should not be too tough, unless you're in an urban area or some commie state like RI that has actively suppressed gun ownership for so long that most support service providers migrated out long ago.
If you were here in pa, I'd give you ten names of stock makers who use duplicators to get the close dimensions with a rough exterior, and then either refine it by sanding the surface, or you can take it to the next steps.
Oh - I see you're in Indiana. There's a ton of black powder guys out there. Start talking to them, see who they use to make their stocks. Follow the trail.

toddsmith8075

Bearcat
pamtnman said:
Hey Todd. Where do you live?
My suggestion is to find a black powder gun maker and start there. Those guys know all the stock makers around. With modern duplicators so ubiquitous now, finding someone should not be too tough, unless you're in an urban area or some commie state like RI that has actively suppressed gun ownership for so long that most support service providers migrated out long ago.
If you were here in pa, I'd give you ten names of stock makers who use duplicators to get the close dimensions with a rough exterior, and then either refine it by sanding the surface, or you can take it to the next steps.
Oh - I see you're in Indiana. There's a ton of black powder guys out there. Start talking to them, see who they use to make their stocks. Follow the trail.

Bearcat,

I appreciate it. Sounds like a plan. Finally found some ammo... Seems like it's getting a bit easier these days. Thanks for your help and your comments. I appreciate it. :)

Latest posts