Tang Safety accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Danny

Single-Sixer
mohavesam said:
?
Any first-hand experiences? or just barstool experts?
I've not met many guys IRL, who can even shoot 2-3 MOA in a hunting situation. On a bench, with cool barrel and sandbags, etc. it is not easy to shoot 2MOA in any rifle.
Insofar as "some of the older Rugers..." I have a few that seem to break all the "experts' " rules. Solution: Fit, sight, breathe, trigger.

To be certain, I am sure that in some cases, these stories of some certain examples of particular arms "not being accurate", have some basis in truth. That is how the rumor started. I would say that this is the minority, and that the large number of " inaccurate examples" can be traced right back to the shooter. I know that in my case, I have some of these that are supposed to be inaccurate, but are not. When I have seen bad shooting days, my groups are also bad with them. I also shoot a bunch of Remington 700s which are supposed to be accurate (and often are). I usually see the same kinds of issues I had showing up on target with the Remingtons as I do with some of the so-called inaccurate types, so it all comes back to me, the shooter.

Danny

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
I buy THEM. Put them on Gun Broker - @ a cheap start, and I will buy them.... They have bent barrels. Let me put them threw my 4020 john Deere front axil and pull them straight.

Arkansas Paul

Bearcat
Here's my only experience with a tang safety M77.
It's the wife's .243 and it does fairly well with my handloads.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Those targets look good! I have one made in 1980. .270 has always shot exceptional. 2 shots and 2 deer this year. Now Im loading 90 gr. at 3500 fps.

taxed2death

Bearcat
taxed2death said:
I have an old Round Top 77ST in 30-06 that I have used since the early 80's. I have bedded the action, floated the barrel, and glass-lined the channel, but it is stock otherwise. With a 4x Zeiss scope, and either my handloads (53.5gr IMR4350, CCI 210 primer, Nosler 180gr spitzer partition) or Federal Premium with 180gr Nosler Partitions it will produce 200yd groups of 1/2". Yes, I said 200yds. At 100yds the group is essentially three 30-caliber bullets in a 32-caliber hole. Needless to say that gun is never leaving my possession! I have tallied over 300 head of game with that combo and have yet to need a second shot. Matter of fact, I've taken two pigs with one shot more than once!

I've had similiar luck with a 35 Whelen 77RS (wish I'd kept that one), 300 Win Mag 77RS and a .270 77R, all of which I was able to get under 3/4" at 100yds. Interestingly though, I had a 77RS in 7X57 that I couldn't get under 3", and a 7mm Rem Mag that I also could not get under 2" at 100yds. Not sure why, but my guess is that Ruger's 7mm barrels at the time just were not as good for some reason.

The ol' 30-06 spoke in anger again 4 times last week! 4 shots, 3 deer and 1 pig down. Longest shot was 180yds at the pig, shortest was around 90 at one of the deer. All head shots too BTW. Her "One shot, one kill" record remains unblemished!

Beruisis

Single-Sixer
I've had nothing but good luck with the tang M77s after I free float the barrel & bed the action.
I just bought an RSI in 308 & I really didn't expect much from it with that short whippy barrel but once I gave it the treatment it shoots 1/2" 3 shot group with the first handload I tried. Did not, however, shoot well with the factory 150 gr bullet.
Beruisis