Synthetic stock for SS Mini 14 Ranch Rifle?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Greetings, All,

I've lately given thought to seeking out a proper Ruger synthetic stock for my Mini 14 RR, and wonder if mine, made in 1988, would fit into the synthetic stock that Ruger offers today? Any idea about that? Also, does Ruger actually offer that stock as an accessory, and for sale? I've seen some online, but it seems they are out of stock (no pun intended) right now. Your thoughts and comments will be much appreciated. Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

DGW1949

Hunter
Generaly speaking, with the exception of the early 180-series rifles, all of the factory-supplied Mini-14 stocks interchange. That said though, you may have to do a small amount of "fiddling around" to get it just right for your particular application.
And just in case you happen to run-up on a used factory stock, be aware that the factory Mini-30 stock looks just like a factory Mini-14 stock but is wider in the magazine-well area, so the two are not directly interchangable.

The part number for the (Ruger) Mini-14 synthetic stock is MS30426.
The forearm liner (KMS02200) is included with the stock.
The butt pad (D06315) and it's two screws (B91) are sold seperately.
My parts list is not clear as to whether the grip cap and it's hardware is included with the stock or not, but if you need to buy them seperately, you'll need one-each part numbers D-80SB, C-96SM, D-82.
Please note that the above information is for Ruger's "All Weather Stock"...it is NOT for what I call "the Ruger Star Wars" stock, nor for their rubber-coated (Houge) stock.

The phone number for Mini-14 parts & service is: 603-865-2442.

Hope this helps.

DGW

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Evening, DGW,

AS always, you are right on the money with the straight info!! Much appreciated, and I've already begun hunting for those parts. I am patient, and am sure that the proper goodies will come to hand, sooner, or later! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Update:

Howdy, DGW, and All,

Well, after patiently hunting for a good OEM Ruger synthetic stock for my Mini RR, I found and bought one!! Yeah, it was on "the bay of evil", and it cost me a bit, but after looking at quite a few such stocks, I soon saw that the original stocks, if complete and in excellent condition, do seem to command a slightly high price. I "bit the bullet", and bought one such stock, complete with all it's goodies, and in close to new condition.

As you mentioned, DGW, I will need to do some minor fitting, as my action slides into the new stock nicely, but the trigger group will not lock the entire thing together, as it should. So, I see a bit of work with files, and maybe my Dremel tool, when time permits. I'll take it slow and easy, and only remove whatever seems to be keeping the trigger group from locking into place. Any suggestions as to where I should begin? No hurry, as work is super demanding right now. But, when I do have time, I look forward to fitting the stock to my barreled action, and seeing how I like it. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

DGW1949

Hunter
Good morning Doc.

Assuming that you've got the "All Weather" version, and assuming that you're telling us that the trigger guard won't latch, my first suggestion would be to make certain that the (stripped) barreled receiver is sitting-down flush against the top of the stock. If you stick it in there and can see any gaps between the bottom of the receiver and the top of the stock, you'll need to determine why the receiver is not going in deep enough.
The problem could be at the rear where the receiver heel sits, or it could be the lug area. In either event, that's the direction I'd work from.....meaning from the top down....meaning that I would not mess with the trigger guard recess unless I absolutely had to.

On the other hand, if you're saying that you can assemble the action to the stock but the trigger guard fits too loose, about all you gotta do is fit a shim to both sides of the stock to raise the receiver up a hair. If that's the case, once you get the right shims in place, you'll need to add an AcraGlass "horseshoe support" to the stock, right where the heel of the receiver is supposed to sit down....otherwise, after the sides are shimmed, the heel will be hanging-out in mid air.

Also bear in mind that I can't see what your seeing, so I'm having to do a lot of guessing here. That, and I aint all that good at describing stuff sometimes. Anyhow....

....I hope this helps.

DGW

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Good Morning, DGW,

Many thanks, as always, for your excellent guidance and advice, Sir! Much appreciated! Here is a photo of my 1987-88 MiniRR, along with the new synthetic stock, which I believe is the "All Weather" version of which you speak.

The barreled action drops down into the new stock, tightly, but well, and it seems to be sitting flush against the top edge of the new stock. But, when I try to snap the trigger guard back into place, locking the whole thing together, there is some sort of obstruction, and the trigger guard does not want to snap fully closed. Feels more like a spring, instead of snapping tightly into place.

Here's a link to the Ruger site. Is this the "All Weather" stock? This is what I actually bought, and it's very well made, and in excellent condition. Perfect for being out in the rain, and snow, during the inclement months.

At your convenience, please let me know if I'm on the right track, and if you have further suggestions, I'm always eager to hear them. And, if you need to see what I am experiencing, I can snap a pic of how the barreled action looks, when installed into the new stock, including a good view of how the trigger guard looks, when closed as far as it will close. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

DGW1949

Hunter
Hello Doc,

Try to overlook my redneck vernacular, and forgive me for being hard headed...but I'm going to plow this ground again. :lol: .

Place the (stripped) barreled receiver down into the stock (again) and do whatever you must do to insure that the receiver itself is sitting as flat as possible. I've sometimes held it in place with a couple of strong rubber bands, but it can also be done by gripping the assembly with one hand or by improvising some sort of clamping arrangement. At any rate, the object is to determine for certain that the entire "contact area" of the receiver is sitting on the stock.
In my experience, there's a good chance that you'll find small gaps somewhere, with that "somewhere" either being under the receiver heel, or almost in the center of either side. And when I'm saying small, I mean slight...as-in, you may need to poke around with a flat feeler gage to find whether they're there or not.
If you're totally satisfied that the "top fit) is in order, it's also safe to assume that nothing is amiss relative to the receiver legs sitting down right too, and that the fore arm liner is not interfering with anything.
If it aint sitting flat, and/or you choose to file the top of the stock anyway, I think that you'll find it much easier to do with the stock clamped in a padded vice. Also bear in mind that it don't take much material-removal to allow a stubborn trigger ass'y to latch into place....so try your best to keep everything level, go slow, and recheck how the trigger guard latches often.
Just as a point of reference, none of the factory M1 Garand, M-14, and Mini-14 stocks which I've had to refit in such a manner (be they "gappy" or not) required more than about .040 of stock removal before the trigger Ass'y could be latched properly. That's way-less than 1/16"....so like I said, go slow.

On the other end of the mule, you may find that even a slight amount of lowering the action into the stock results in the receiver legs contacting the top of their recesses. The good news there is that it's easy to look into that area from the bottom and watch what's going on as you go along. Plus, all of that is molded-in on your stock which makes it easy to address if need.

All in all, none of this is as hard as I'm probably making it sound. Mostly it's just a few little details. And hey, what's the worse thing that can happen?...ya take of a little too much, and that's why they make AcraGlas. :wink: .

Hope this helped.

DGW