SWC ib SR1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

salover

Single-Sixer
Has anyone used SWC ammo in their SR1911? If so, how did it function, what bullet weight and powder was used? I bought a box of 500 , 200 gr. SWC, I thought for my .45 Colt but turned out they are sized .452 so thought I'd try them in my CMdr.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I've probably shot 50,000 rounds of those bullets over the last 30 years.

They're fine. Pretty much all I shoot.

REV

dlidster

Single-Sixer
My SR1911 thrives on a diet of LSWC from three different cast bullets suppliers. All use the basic H&G #68 profile. I've run more than 10K through it since I purchased the gun in May, 2011. I use Wilson 47D magazines. Absolutely no problems.

I'll be using the combination in Single-Stack in a USPSA matchTuesday, as I do almost every Tuesday when the weather cooperates.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
salover said:
Thanks for the responses. Dlidster, do you have to seat them any deeper than with other type of bullets?
No. I seat them for a COAL 1.25". This is what Wilson recommends for the 47Ds and they feed perfectly.

Interestingly, I purchased some plated semi-wadcutters from a club member who said they wouldn't feed in his Kimber. The look almost exactly like the cast SWC bullets that work so well in my SR1911. To make a long story short, they don't feed in my SR1911 either, so subtle differences can make a big difference.

I'm now loading them in 45 Colt cartridges. They feed fine in my New Vaquero. :wink:

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Not all SWCs are equal. There are some designs that have a long caliber diameter and a short nose, and others have a shorter caliber diameter and a long nose. The classic Hensley & Gibbs #68 falls into the latter category, and has been a reliable feeder even in all my old, unaltered USGI pistols...even when fed from the original "Hardball" magazines.

The other design...not so much.

The clones and variants of the old #68 should feed in any of the modern pistols with the now standard open barrel ramps...or "throated" if you prefer. The RCBS 201-grain mould is a close copy of the #68, and I've cast and shot a buttload of bullets dripped from that mould in various 1911s that I've owned throughout the years without a single issue.

EDIT TO CORRECT:

The RCBS mould that I mentioned is listed as 201 grains...not 210. Corrected. Mea culpa.