Super Blackhawk Hunter experience?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I currently do a bit of handgun hunting with either a S&W Model 57 or Ruger Blackhawk in 41 Mag. I am considering adding something that would allow me to shoot a bit farther, and was looking at the Super Blackhawk Hunter that would enable me to easily mount a scope. I'm interested in feedback from those of you who have a similar setup. I would probably go with a 44 Mag, but I see that there is a 41 Mag distributor exclusive right now (Gallery of Guns).

I don't really want to start a cartridge discussion here - I'm more interested in general comments about the Super Blackhawk Hunter. Let me know your thoughts/experiences.

Thanks,

SR

Missedagain

Bearcat
I have one in .44 magnum with a 2 x 8 Weaver scope. It's an awesome set up. Used it to take four deer this year all between 50 and 85 yards. The quality and fit and finish of mine is excellent.

375hh1973

Single-Sixer
I have one. Absolutely love it. When I bought mine I was looking for a 41mag just because I had never owned one. I happened to stop by a local store. Just happened to be when Barack Obama was gonna come and take everyone's assault rifles and it was a madhouse. I stood in line to get to the front to ask to handle what I thought was a 41mag Super Blackhawk Hunter. As it turns out they had sold the 41 but they had one left in 45colt. I had never even known they made one. So I bought it. I have big hands so I got rid of the factory stocks and put one of those big ugly Hogue rubber finger-grooved grips on it. Ugly as hell but fits me perfectly. I also put a Nikon 2x scope on it.

I have found it to be a very accurate revolver. I have tried 300gr XTP, 260gr hollowpoints, and 250gr XTP. Have shot 3 deer with the 250gr XTP @ 1400fps. One was at 30 yards, the other 2 were 50 and 55. I got a Bianchi HUSH scoped holster for it, seems to work pretty well.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Unless your S&W 57 is really old, it is factory drilled and tapped for a scope mounting rail. The holes are under the rear sight and easily accessible. Weigand, Weaver and many others make suitable Weaver style or Picatinny mounting rails.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
375hh1973 said:
I have one. Absolutely love it. When I bought mine I was looking for a 41mag just because I had never owned one. I happened to stop by a local store. Just happened to be when Barack Obama was gonna come and take everyone's assault rifles and it was a madhouse. I stood in line to get to the front to ask to handle what I thought was a 41mag Super Blackhawk Hunter. As it turns out they had sold the 41 but they had one left in 45colt. I had never even known they made one. So I bought it. I have big hands so I got rid of the factory stocks and put one of those big ugly Hogue rubber finger-grooved grips on it. Ugly as hell but fits me perfectly. I also put a Nikon 2x scope on it.

I have found it to be a very accurate revolver. I have tried 300gr XTP, 260gr hollowpoints, and 250gr XTP. Have shot 3 deer with the 250gr XTP @ 1400fps. One was at 30 yards, the other 2 were 50 and 55. I got a Bianchi HUSH scoped holster for it, seems to work pretty well.
. What powder do you like in that .45C?

RaisinRiverRon

Single-Sixer
I have a .45 Colt SBHH.
I don't really have a lot of experience with it, when I took it to the range when I first got it, the best I could get it to do was 1.5"@25yds off the bench.
My 5.5" .45 Blackhawk will do .75" or less at that distance off the bench.
So my Hunter sits in the safe.
Mine seems to be the exception to the rule when it comes to Hunters.

I like 231 with my 250 grn WFN in my 5.5" and 2400 with the 340 grn WFN in the Bisley Hunter, along with the 250 WFN and Blue Dot. Both are identical nosed Bullets, from custom molds I had made, from the crimp grove forward they are identical, made to fit the Blackhawk cylinder.

What I like about the SBBH in 45 Colt over my 5.5" Bisley is with the heavy rib on the barrel, along with the 2X Weaver mounted out between the sights, with all that added weight on the barrel, it keeps all loads shooting to the same POI. Even the 250 grain Blue Dot loads hit in the same spot the 340 grain bullets do. at 25 , and even at 50 yards aim and kill, no matter which load I have in it.
XD7_P1485-_II.jpg

IMG_9030-_II.jpg

I prefer to hunt with open sights, BUT, age has caught up with me, and I just can't see them open sights the first 1/2 hour or so and last 1/2 hour or so of legal hunting time here which is 20 minutes before and after sunup and sundown. So with the scope centered between the sights, I can hunt with the scope till I have enough light to use my sights, then all I need is a quarter or my keys to remove the scope and use the sights, then when the need comes reinstall it and hunt till quit'n time. The scope stays sighted in and has worked flawlessly and never needs reset after the past 7 or so years.

I had one of the original Hunters in 44 mag. I had a Leupold 2x scope on it and it was very accurate with many loads from 240 to 300 grains. Unfortunately I sold it to buy something else. Hardly any recoil with the heavy barrel and scope mounted.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all of the input. The feedback is pretty universally positive. This seems like a 'must do'.

22/45 Fan,

My S&W 57 is from the late 70s or early 80s (I can't remember exactly). It's a pinned & recessed gun and from the time frame before they were drilled and tapped. Otherwise I would definitely add a scope to it instead.

SR

s4s4u

Hunter
Had one in 41, didn't care for the scope location on the barrel. Threw the whole balance off for me. Couldn't find a holster I liked either. Sold it and D&T'd the topstrap of my Bisley. It did shoot good tho.

Mus408

Hunter
I had one in .44 Magnum and it was a really nice shooting gun with factory loads before I started reloading for that caliber. Sold it to buy my Ruger Alaskan.....BUT now have a nice SBH in .44 Mag now!

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Mine has the Hunter grip frame. Of course it's a .45 Colt. Have a Weaver 2-8x Scope. First handgun I ever put a scope on, first shot with a healthy Ruger Only load the scope came off. Make sure it's tight. :oops: I put Micarta grips on mine and reamed the throats to .4525".
Nice guns, enjoy.

Dana

firecaptain

Single-Sixer
I have a Super Blackhawk Hunter in 41 mag. Bought it maybe 10 years ago when they first came out as a Distributor exclusive. I have kept it open sighted for <50 yard deer hunting in WI. Great gun. A few years ago I got tired of the horrible trigger and had a gunsmith tune it up a bit. Now its crisp and smooth. Before the smith job, there was a lot of creep. Gun is very accurate with handloads. I'm at work right now and don't remember the exact load, but I'm using the old Sierra 220 gr flat point with H110.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
I have the Hunters in 41, 44, and 45c. The 41 will do 2" at 100 with Hornady XTPs and Imr 4227. The 44 and 45 will do 5" at 100 with XTPs and 4227. I think the 44 and 45 will do better but I have way too many irons in the fire and need to spend more time with them at the bench and range. All three wear scopes and shooting is done off of sand bags.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Mine in 45 Colt averages 2.492" groups (3 shots) at 100 yards (XTPs and H110). I've taken several deer with it. The Ruger only loads will rattle your fillings. Great gun!

SHOOTER

Buckeye
Will the SBH in 44mag handle the 300 grainers and the hot plus P garret and buffalo bote ammo? Or is the Red Hawk a stronger revolver?

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a couple of the Hunter models. And I think they fit the desires of many looking for serious handgun hunting rigs. Well designed,, and in general,, quite accurate. Go for it!