Super Blackhawk Hunter experience?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

s4s4u

Hunter
SHOOTER said:
Will the SBH in 44mag handle the 300 grainers and the hot plus P garret and buffalo bote ammo? Or is the Red Hawk a stronger revolver?

The SBH will handle them just fine.

Yetiman

Bearcat
The Redhawk and SRH are a tiny bit stronger, but the SBH is more durable if that makes sense.

The RH and SRH will take a (slightly) bigger bang, but shot for a lifetime with full power loads, a SBH should hold up (slightly) better.

I have a Bisley Hunter in 44. I would say mine is a lot like the dozen or so other Hunters I have handled. The fit and finish is quite good with good cylinder lock up. But every one I have handled had a lot of creep and a pretty wide BC gap out of the box.

A couple of things bothered me about mine and I sent it out to David Clements to have it tuned up. I had a trigger/action job done, had the barrel set back to correct the B/C gap and the forcing cone cut to 11 degrees. I also had a different front sight made from a Bowen blank (a Bowen rear sight had been in place right after I got the gun) and a #5 locking pin. I had a number of other things done I don't recall right now.

I also found there was a slight constriction in the barrel at the threads (less than .001") but it took quite a few fire lapping rounds to eliminate it. The gun will now shoot better than 2.5 inch six shot groups at 50 yds, and handles like a hand tuned revolver should.

I tend to look at most Ruger's as base guns or kits to be completed though.

1C5Ybn6.jpg

t-reg

Single-Sixer
My hunter was very accurate at 100 yards with 240 / 300gr XTP's and slow powders.

It just was not a good match for my most common type of deer hunting - fast moving, relatively close deer in corn fields or being pushed. Scopes are a no go for that type of hunting and the heavier barrel was not fast enough on target at times.

I had a scoped SRH that excelled at long ranges as well. The 7 1/2" SRH would be my choice for hunting from a stand with longer range (100-150 yard) shots in mind. Better balance IMO, better grip for heavy recoil and quicker lock time in SA.

Yetiman

Bearcat
I have not handled enough Redhawks to get a grasp on the typical gap on them. I have seen somewhat narrow gaps and a few wide ones as well. The wider gap isn't so much a problem as a point of preference.

I have a SRH made in 1996 that has a .004" gap which seems reasonable. My Hunter was originally .008" (now .0015"). The biggest difference I see is that it stays a good bit cleaner on the outside than it used to.

I didn't ever chrono it when stock. My 7.5" SRH seems to shoot the same loads slightly slower than my Hunter (50-80 fps on hotter loads), but it also has .431" throats vs .430" on the Hunter.

98Redline

Blackhawk
I have had a Bisley Hunter (44 mag) since around 2008 or so. Topped with an UltraDot Match Dot sitting on a Weigand rail it is by far my favorite hunting revolver.

I will 2nd Yetiman's experience with it. Mine had a pretty creepy trigger and a slight barrel constriction when I received it. I polished up the trigger and hammer hooks myself, and while the trigger still creeps a bit, it is significantly smoother.
The barrel constriction was addressed with firelapping (100 rounds if I recall correctly) which left the barrel constriction free and mirror smooth. That gun will now do 2.5" @100 yards with a .432 WFNGC over a full load of H110.

Holster wise I have become very fond of my Wyoming Combo Holster from Ringler Custom Leather. It carries like a cross between a bandoleer and a shoulder holster and makes carrying that big handgun a non issue.

I have zero hesitation about recommending this gun as a hunting gun. Out of the box, it is more than capable, but with just a touch of effort, it can become an exceptionally accurate gun.