Striker spring cup SR9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
Ok, hiccup with the SR9 today. A couple mags into steel shoot the striker won't release in fact the entire slide slightly moves backwards as I try to depress the trigger. So I get everything cleared and a safe place to handle and work on the pistol, I go to release the the striker cover and its not moving. Closer examination I see the striker spring cap at the back of the striker is cracked, well really its missing a piece and has slide into the striker plate. I manage to get the plate off with a little coaxing remove the striker and the striker spring cap comes out in two pieces, with a smaller third piece gone. End of shooting for the day, since this effectively renders the pistol useless.

Will call Ruger tomorrow, my question is does anyone make an after market metal striker spring cap? the plastic piece just does not seem up to the task even though this particular SR9 has approx 7000+ rounds through it without issue.

Anyone else have this problem, or know of a more sturdy replacement part.

Shoot straight and shoot often.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Have never had any problem with the striker cover on any of the SR pistols, but i have ordered 2 extras covers and an extra retainer spring and plunger just in case the cover brakes or the spring or plunger gets lost. All 5 models of the SR pistols use the same ones so it is a good idea to have extras anyway, i try to keep any part that is easy to loose or subject to breakage or wear on hand in case they are needed.

carbonyl

Single-Sixer
Sounds like the same thing that happened to me with my SR9c. Called Ruger and they sent me a replacement cover.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I have an SR9c with about 2K through it. No problems with my cover, but I will likely purchase a new one as a spare when I decide to order a couple items from Ruger.

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
No this was not the striker cover as shown in your picture. It is the striker spring cup that rides on the end of the striker keeping pressure on the striker spring and butts up against the striker cover. If you look at a exploded part view it's number 25 part number VS02450. It's a little plastic cup which retains the spring on the end of the striker with out it no real pressure can be applied to the firing pin when released. There is not much to them and this one simply disintegrated with use. I will be picking up a few spare parts once fixed as recommended.

I would say I am around 7000 rounds + with this particular sr 9 with the 1st real failure. It has some peening but other than this has been pretty solid. You cycle plastic enough times it just gets thin and comes apart. If no steel replacement is available I'll keep a spare on hand is all.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
guidedfishing said:
Customer Service update in striker spring cup in the mail be here in 5 to 7 days

My cover started to disintegrate in the same way the one in the picture did. My striker cup started to wear off on one side from coming into contact with the channel it rides in. All of this started around the 2000 round ish mark for me. Ruger was great about replacing it but -->

Ruger if you are listening please start making these out of some form of metal. Even cheap metal would be better then this plastic, its simply not holding up. I'd gladly accept any slight increase in weight or a few bucks more in cost.

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
Spoke to customer service on Tuesday. Striker spring cup arrived today from Arizona. Not happy the part broke, I am pleased again how quickly and without question I was taken care of by Ruger

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
did not have these in my spare parts kit. have four in route as of 9/10. sooner or later I'll need one for one of my SR's and it will be there.

GKC

Blackhawk
I was looking at Ruger's site today, and I can see parts available (like springs) but not the striker itself. I sent Ruger an e-mail asking if the striker could be purchased directly, and they replied promptly:

"No the striker is not available to purchase as a separate component. They are factory installed on an exchange only basis. The complete pistol must be sent to the factory for replacement. If it is found to be a manufacturing related issue, the striker would be replaced at no charge. If not manufacturing related, the replacement charge would be the cost of the part(s) and $35.00 return shipping."

I have to admit, this disappoints me...I was sure that Ruger would be different in this regard. What prompted me to ask is that on the S&W forum, there are a few people who are having issues with their strikers on SDVE edition pistols, and S&W is saying they have to send them in. Since the issues are pieces breaking off the striker, I'm sure they will be covered...but S&W is also experiencing a very big backlog, with delays in servicing guns. If that's the only gun you have, it's hard to be without it for several months...especially when it's a part that you can drop in yourself.

So, Ruger will sell or give you parts of a striker, but not the entire striker...does that make sense to anyone?

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
I'm not sure what Ruger's reasoning maybe, but I know they will not hold on to a gun for more than a couple weeks no matter how busy they are. After they sent me the new striker spring cup, I went to Numrich and bought a spare spring cup and striker cover. Numrich will sell you a Striker for 26.75 plus minimal shipping. The spring cup and striker cover are each less than 5.00$ I threw the spares in my pistol bag, along with a role pin punch to quickly change it out if needed.

Shoot straight and shoot often
GF

GKC

Blackhawk
guidedfishing said:
I'm not sure what Ruger's reasoning maybe, but I know they will not hold on to a gun for more than a couple weeks no matter how busy they are. After they sent me the new striker spring cup, I went to Numrich and bought a spare spring cup and striker cover. Numrich will sell you a Striker for 26.75 plus minimal shipping.

Ruger's CS is phenomenal, that is very true.

I'm glad to know there are aftermarket strikers available...it makes no sense to me to sell parts of a striker, which to install you have to take the striker out, but not the entire striker. They mentioned "on an exchange basis only." Maybe they should consider something like "send me your old striker and I'll send you a new one." That would be cheaper for them than shipping in and returning the whole gun.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I know one of the reasons they ask for parts back is they do like to inspect some them when something breaks or goes wrong. It kinda gives em feedback I think for how their new guns are doing in the field so to speak. They asked me for a bum spring I got last year in exchange for a new one. I was fine with that. I ended up getting a supervisor on the phone who seemed interested in what went wrong and how even after they had already agreed to send me another.

I suppose it also keeps people from taking advantage of them in that some would probably just request numerous parts they don't need.

GKC

Blackhawk
Rei40c said:
I know one of the reasons they ask for parts back is they do like to inspect some them when something breaks or goes wrong. It kinda gives em feedback I think for how their new guns are doing in the field so to speak. They asked me for a bum spring I got last year in exchange for a new one. I was fine with that. I ended up getting a supervisor on the phone who seemed interested in what went wrong and how even after they had already agreed to send me another.

I suppose it also keeps people from taking advantage of them in that some would probably just request numerous parts they don't need.

That makes sense...the inspection as well as the control of "freebies"...but I was asking to buy a striker, so I still don't understand the whole concept of "we'll sell you parts but not the whole striker."

Ah well...I may never, ever need one. I'll worry about it then...and in the meantime, I may check out that aftermarket one. 8)