Strange At The Range

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lance0812

Bearcat
I'm not one to pat myself on the back (except for shamelessly promoting my books) and I hope no one will think I'm doing that now, but...
Recently, I made three range trips trying to break in a new pistol (which shall remain nameless) and after 300+ rounds of FMJ and LSWC, the holes were still all over the targets.
I'm sure some of it was me; I'm equally sure the pistol did not like the one box of Federal .45ACP I put through it.
But on the last trip, I also took along the SP101. I haven't fired it for a while (didn't do all that great when I did fire it) but I'd bought 300 rounds of reloaded JHP .38SP from a friend and thought it high time I started burning them up.
So after final disappointment at the highly regarded auto, I loaded the Ruger. I'd just grabbed a box of ammo at random and these were 125gr. Never shot those before, always bought 158gr.
With the first cylinder fired, I brought the Orange Peel target close enough for a good look and all the shots were in the midsection of the siloughette target - 4 in the 10 ring and one in the 8.
Well, that was better than I'd ever done before so I knew it was a fluke...until I repeated the feat with the second cylinder-full.
Now by golly, this is fun! I thought. OK, I'll try some double-action shooting just for grins.
Went well. Then I tried shooting strong hand only. Still doing great (compared to previous outings with the 101, anyway).
So then I tried some with my weak hand.
Ha! Shots all over the place (which surprised me only because it looked like the pattern I'd been getting from the vaunted automatic earlier.)
By the time I finished the box, I was wishing I'd brought more ammo for the Ruger (did I mention I can shoot that thing darn near forever, whereas the lightweight snubbies beat me up before I've finished a box of ammo?)
Anyway, consider these things: Was it a matter of breaking in the Ruger?
Or was it the lighter-weight ammo?
Or was it me that made this too-brief performance the best I've ever done with the SP101?

P.S. When I left the range, I stopped by my son's house. Like me, he'd been impressed by the nameless pistol's reputation - until he held it in his hands a few minutes. However, he did offer to keep it for a few days and take it to the range to see whether it was me or the pistol causing the erratic performance. But when I told him how to break it down and put it back together, he threw up his hands. "Hell, I'll just run a boresnake through it!"
Instead, I took it home, cleaned it and traded it on a pistol whose track record I know personally.

PPS: For those who may have wondered: I had the heart and bypass surgery on March 2, left the hospital on the 15th and I'm doing fine.

And a final question for any medical types on the forum: Now that I have a new heart valve, can I get an extended warranty?

M'BOGO

Buckeye
That is a broad OP.

Sorryt the nameless toy de jour wasn't all you hoped.

Some barrels are picky, and really like one thing over another.

Glad your valve job went well, hope you don't need an extended warranty.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Sure you can. That valve will probably last the rest of your life.

Mine was a cow valve. Worked fine, though sometimes I get a taste for hay.

Bob Wright

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Bob Wright said:
Sure you can. That valve will probably last the rest of your life.

Mine was a cow valve. Worked fine, though sometimes I get a taste for hay.

Bob Wright

Bob, I got a good laugh at the taste for hay comment. This came on a day when a good chuckle was needed. :D

Jeff

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
A perfect example of 'shootability'. Some guns got it and some don't. May also vary person to person, gun to gun, or even time and place. May also have something to do with the alignment of the stars.

Continued good speed with your recovery. :D :D

akbluz

Blackhawk
Erv,
Glad to hear that you are doing well and had a nice trip to the range. I hope you got a 100 year & 100,00 mile warranty with that work on your ticker. Keep on keepin' on.
Steve

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Lance0812,
Glad to hear your well on the road to recovery from your open heart surgery. Bet it feels good to get back out doing a little range work again.
God Bless,
Sal

stantheman86

Buckeye
Hmmmmmmmm, I'm guessing the new toy was one of those hard to break down pistols like a AMT Backup or a Hi-Point :D

Lance0812

Bearcat
stantheman86 said:
Hmmmmmmmm, I'm guessing the new toy was one of those hard to break down pistols like a AMT Backup or a Hi-Point :D
Guess again.

By the way - after firing a few hundred rounds the re-assembly was easier - but still aggravating.
First time I've encountered that.

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
IMO there is so much variability in the way people shoot guns that it's hard to know what the gun itself will do unless it's shot from a rest.

My shooting buddy ( an ex cop and very experienced shooter) picked up a S&W 910 for a very good price. Down at the range his shots were all over the place. I tried it and got most of the rounds through a single hole. He ended up selling it to me :)

Another day we were out shooting our S&W 686's. He pulls out his GP100 and shoots great groups. I try it and I struggle to hit the paper target anywhere.

I'm sure that if I spent some time with the GP100 I'd do ok with it. Likewise if he had been more patient with the 910 he might still own it :)

Actually he wants to sell the GP100 too. He's in one of those "I have too many guns" phases that that come over incurable gunaholics from time to time ( I'm going to stop drinking tomorrow .... yeah ... right ). I confess I am experiencing physical pain trying to keep my money in my pocket. I want that GP soooo bad but I already have too many guns....

Sal1950

Blackhawk
meshugunner said:
Actually he wants to sell the GP100 too. He's in one of those "I have too many guns" phases that that come over incurable gunaholics from time to time ( I'm going to stop drinking tomorrow .... yeah ... right ). I confess I am experiencing physical pain trying to keep my money in my pocket. I want that GP soooo bad but I already have too many guns....

You can never have too many guns, you know better than that. :lol:
Go on a buy it, you know you'll just be kicking your self for years if you don't. Life's too short to deprive your self and live with regrets.
Sal

Hugh

Buckeye
Sorry to hear about the semi. I've owned and shot a few; two 70 series Colt Combat Commanders, .45 ACP, and one Colt Government Model .45 ACP. Now have a Springfield M1911A1 .45 ACP. The best of all of those was my blue Colt Combat Commander, and then the 1911A1. I still have the Springfield.

About the SP-101. My favorite is a 3-1/16" .357; which is my carry piece. It's pretty accurate. I had no idea just how accurate until Fredericksburg, Texas a couple of weeks ago. There was a rock up on a hill. Folks, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was about 150 yards away. Shooting .357 125 grain I was able to hit it more than half the time. Otherwise a little low or high. I call that very good shooting, and a dern good shooter. Next year we'll bring that rock down.

I will be going to a little heavier bullet with that one.

Nowata

Single-Sixer
In regards to the heart valve, ceramic valves are generally good for about 8yrs., and pig valves are usually good for better than 25yrs.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
I've got what is a semi-serious question.
Can a person who's religious beliefs forbid them from eating pork, accept a pig heart valve replacement?
Sal