Stainless Steel: Rollmarks Turning Black?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

How do I remove the black out of the rollmarks and serial# on stainless steel firearms. You can see it strong in the "17" and the "L"s in the pic below. Normal cleaning doesn't seem to remove it.

6AB76416-6B7A-427A-89C8-21D6CE75C404.jpeg

not an issue, because the stainless alloy for guns is not surgical steel quality, one reason magnets stick to it,,,there can be staining, or tarnish? for the lack of proper metallurgical terms.....I'd leave it alone as you may cause more harm to the surrounding area by picking, digging, scraping, whatever.........:cool::rolleyes:;)

not an issue, because the stainless alloy for guns is not surgical steel quality, one reason magnets stick to it,,,there can be staining, or tarnish? for the lack of proper metallurgical terms.....I'd leave it alone as you may cause more harm to the surrounding area by picking, digging, scraping, whatever.........:cool::rolleyes:;)
It wouldn't be so bad if all the lettering was black. I'd say 90% is clean like the rest of the gun, especially the side. But having a few scattered letters and numbers filled in black, just makes it look dirty, lol.

I see other 17-00xxx stainless signatures that are still spotless, but then some are like this one. I figured the ones without the black in the rollmarks were being cleaned someway.

I knew there was a reason why most my guns are blued. ;)

Cholo

Staff member
Rugerguy gave some solid advice!

If you still want to try something that can do no harm: Soak the lettering in some Hoppe's and let it sit. Soak it and let it sit some more. Use a nylon bristle brush, something like a hard nylon tooth brush. Scrub the living hell out of it. Do it again.

I know this was easier, but I had to do it with a Colt SA that was filled with gold lettering for about 45 years. The seller said it was factory LOL. I eventually got it all out. I thought it would be easier than it was. I did get it out, though.

It's at least worth a try.

OxCart

Bearcat
Kleanbore Lead Away cloth will clean it right off. (don't use on a blued firearm!!)

The Clean Bore Lead Away just may work,, as well as a drop of acetone, see if its something else in the particullar number or letter...just be careful...I prefer to use an old well worn 22 caliber brass cleaning brush that is WELL worn, the bristles boogered, gently scrub the area,,,,,,,,,, have to be able to get IN the cut of letter/number indent ( groove)even a sharp pointed dental pic?? BUT again, you slip or screw up you make things look worse, can always wipe across with a nice new 3M Scotchbrite pad to clean the surrounding area........neatness counts:cool::rolleyes:;)