Stainless Mini14 Ranch

Help Support Ruger Forum:

soupy

Bearcat
Folks ,
Has anyone been able to get MOA accuracy from their Mini 14 ? I've got a Ranch model and it just shoots so so , but I have not tried work up a load for it . I'm just wondering what youall have done to get some decent grouping for your rifles .
Thank you in advance for your time and help .
A Happy and Healthy New Year to all .
Soup

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I have a stainless mini-14 Ranch rifle. It is one of the newer ones with the tapered barrel. It consistently shoots 1.5 MOA with Hornady 55-grain v-max factory ammo. I have never shot anything else through it because the Hornady results were good enough for my requirements for the rifle (coyote hunting, beat-around truck gun).

So it's at worst a 1.5 MOA gun, and likely better than that - what are the odds I picked the optimal ammo from the beginning...surely not very good.

SR

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I had one that was green laminate stainless. Using Federal FMC factory ammo, it did MOA if you used a ten round mag and shot slowly. It wouldn't do it with anything else, or for some reason with the five round or the twenty round mags. I have an early Mini, nonranch, that isn't close to MOA. But I like it more.
Bfly

In this vain... I have a mini 30 that will put the eye of a knat out at 50 yards on the first shot... then the next ones go all over the place... most of these semi-autos just aren't designed to shoot that well even AR's in my experience won't do it. I shot a Savage 308 sniper rifle (bolt action) this past September and that puppy was awesome.... wish I had one.

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
I have a Tikka 695 25/06 that has shot 1/2" and 5/8"three shot groups at 200 yards with two different loads with a 3-10 Weaver Grand Slam. If that is the kind of accuracy you are looking for, I will trade with you. I have Minis that can consistently hit a grapefruit a city block away with whatever I feed it. They each suit its purpose.

soupy

Bearcat
Thank you for your prompt replys . I have read of their less than moa accuracy , but I saw a couple of web sites that stated with some smithing services they sell and the addition of a few add on items you could achieve moa . I don't know the reality of it . Also I remember quite some time ago an ad in Shotgun News , " Chief AJ " could get then Mini to shoot . I have not heard of him in many years nor have I found anyone who specializes in accurizing just Minis .
If anyone has knowledge of or has used a gunsmith that works on the Mini 14 I would appreciate hearing from him.
Soup

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Soupy,

I certainly recommend a trigger job. I sent my trigger group to Great West Gunsmithing and he sent it back about two weeks later with a much lighter pull. I believe he charged $65 but that was a few years ago.

Some may be able to do this work themselves, but I was a bit leery of the 2-stage trigger. To me the money spent was well worth it. Other than the trigger job, my mini is stock.

SR

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
I agree with south_ridge, I'd get a hold of John "Gundoc" Baker of Great West Gunsmithing. He is the Mini 14 go to guy!

Has lots of videos on his site as well. Great information.

http://greatwestgunsmithing.com/

BluNosDav

Bearcat
Here's a company that guarantees the level of accuracy by the fraction of MOA.
If you want tighter groups . . . . all you have to do, is add more $$$ to the job.

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ruger_mini_prices.php#

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
I had an older model purchased new around 1994. It shot 69 grain BTHP's better than 55 grain projectiles. If I took my time, it would shoot 1.5 MOA. The rifle had a trigger job and I had bedded the metal insert into the wood stock using Accra-glass.

Major T

Blackhawk
I did my own trigger job and got it a little too light, but it surely did help accuracy. It shoots Remington factory , Lake City military, and commercial re loads , all 55 grain, between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 @100. It is the SS model with the thicker barrel. I have a 3-9 Redfield Revolution on it. Jack

cataway

Bearcat
i have seen one mini 14 that did shoot remarkably well . the guy was using 62gr fmj and there was a pi-pod on the barrel.

sp327

Single-Sixer
I have a new barrel version. I did get some MOA groups. Not saying the gun is a MOA gun. Think I just shook the right way a few times. But I do get consistant 1.5 inch groups, few 1.25, few 1.75. But all under 2 inch. l 'm happy with it. I've have bolt actions shoot worse