Stag grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

J.Johnson

Single-Sixer
I have been toying with the idea of getting some stag grips, something like what Patrick Grashorn makes. Elk Stag. My questions are: 1. how do they hold up for everyday wear and beating around? 2. I have seen pictures of elk antler and they look pretty porous. Are the grips somehow sealed?

I would be putting them on a Blackhawk or New Vaquero that would be carried while doing ranch type work. Fencing, cattle work, horseback, on the tractor and such. The guns ride on a belt holster and the grip frame would be exposed to it all.

I am a young guy and would want these to last for a long time. I wouldn't want to put the money into them if they wouldn't hold up.

So overall, durable and tough, or not? How have yours held up?

NorEaster

Blackhawk
They will only get character with use and age.
I like the look of an old well aged revolver with stag grips.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I have a couple pairs of genuine stag grips, but for my pistols that see a lot of work, there are polymer "Stag" grips available that look the part, feel the part, but aren't as pricey, and aren't as sensitive. Might be an option if you're planning on putting a lot of palm time on the pistol in question.

Some makers will seal stag with cyanoacrylate, but it's not a perfect system.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Elk antler and India Sambar or German Stag antler are bone and almost indestructible. I can't think of any tougher grip material or with more durability, even the modern rubber/synthetic grips which I have seen ripped or had chunks taken out of them. I've occasionally seen a broken bone grip in my 67 years but very rare, takes some extraordinary event or it was a poor piece in the first place.

Elk antler is not as large as Stag and every piece large enough or close for grips is used. In addition to that, Elk is not as dense, therefore porousness is closer to the surface. The reason for currently available genuine Stag porousness is because of the value. Like with Elk, today pieces of Stag are used for grips too big for the piece after final shaping that in the old days, were deemed too small for large grips and saved for smaller size grips. Porous areas are much more subject to deterioration and staining.

I don't usually try to seal antler. But they can be stained by ink or paint, etc. If left out in the elements they will dry and crack like antler sheds in the wild. But the gun they're mounted on will corrode much faster. The best protection IMO is a very smooth, well polished finish except the bark. If you want to seal antler I would use Tru Oil in very thin coats so it can soak in and protect it from drying and staining just like it does wood. And they can be recoated when needed. I use Tru Oil to preserve the 'bark'. The color is dried blood stain on Elk and Stag and including old dried remnants of the velvet on real Stag. Mineral oil will not hurt them either.

If damaged or scratched and even broken, they're very easy to restore.

These genuine Sambar Stag grips are about 50 years old, were heavily used on a ranch, and recently I cleaned them up and replaced a missing corner if you can tell:
medium800.jpg

A re-polished set of Sambar Stag over 35 years old, and they looked much better than the original gun they were on even before they were re-polished:
orig.jpg

The set of Ruger factory Stags in this photo were purchased new in 1957 for another gun that no longer looks anywhere as good as the one they're on below. Notice the crack that runs thru the emblem. It does go all the way thru the grip and is no worse now than when I got the grips new in 1957:
orig.jpg

BearBio

Buckeye
This MIGHT help you decide or, confuse you more!

My Lipsy's 44 spl with Grashorns:

My wife's Vaqueros with Grashorns:

Python with Grashorns:

Old Model Flattop (44 Mag) with Boone ivories:

Rams horn by Grashorn with matching knife:

Buffalo horn with Home-made knife (unfinished)

J.Johnson

Single-Sixer
Hey guys,

Thanks for all those great pictures. Sounds like I don't have to worry about the durability of stags. BearBio, I believe you have sold me on the Grashorns. Now just to decide which gun!

BearBio

Buckeye
Give you a tip. If you find a picture of what you want send it to him, he'll try to match them (same if you want to match 2 guns-I had two matching pythons-sold one) He also does Colt, S & W and autos.

The sheep horn have a waiting list==I'm waiting for another pair!