SS cylinder in a blue single six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cutlassguy1976

Bearcat
I would like to find someone who could fit a SS cylinder in one of my blue .22 single sixes. I wrote Ruger wanting to send it to them and they said they would only fit it with a blue cylinder and would not sell me a SS cylinder to have fitted elsewhere.
Anyone have any idea if this is even possible and know of a gunsmith that could do it?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks, C

contender

Ruger Guru
NM gun or an OM gun?
If NM, all you really need to do is find a spare cylinder that has the same OAL as your current one. Or, it can be a few thousands longer & can be honed to fit.

medicdave

Blackhawk
It will work. Kind of spiffy when you pinto more than the cylinder as well. Picture was during the build.

cutlassguy1976

Bearcat
Nice! cool handles too.
I've got a pair of consecutive numbered SS guns and put the spare cylinder for one of them in one of my blue guns. Looked pretty nice so that's what's spurred this little adventure. Once done, I'm going to polish the cylinder to a high gloss for even more contrast.
I polished the cylinder out of one of my SBH stainless .44's to a high gloss. Even that contrast with the brushed finish on the rest of the gun looks nice, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say.
I can find all kinds of magnum cylinders for sale on the interweb but no ss LR ones that I can find.
Thanks for sharing.

winchester348

Single-Sixer
I picked up a blue NM Single six at a pawn shop for cheap because it was missing both cylinders. I kept bidding for ones on Fleabay but kept getting out bid. Some on here listed a SS Lr cylinder one day so I picked it up. It fit great so I went with it. works fine but I'm not big on the look. another member was looking for a SS cylinder as well. I was going to trade him a blue one for my SS. but went it arrived it was too long. Oh well back to the pinto version.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
cutlassguy1976,

Save yourself all the expense and hassel; just polish out your blue cylinder and you won't be able to tell the difference.

With normal care, polished steel will not rust any easier than blued steel. The high polish almost completely negates the ability of rust to take hold. Blue steel grip frame polished out and fitted to my Hawkeye that I never got around to re-bluing. After 6 years, I decided the hell with it and I like the look:
large.jpg

This polished frame is 8 years old:
orig.jpg

steamloco76

Single-Sixer
Strip the bluing off the cylinder with white vinegar and polish to a high shine. Finish by waxing with either the yellow can Johnson's Paste Wax or Renaissance Wax, and expensive, but fantastic product. Pinto without the search for the stainless parts.

mikewriter

Blackhawk

Not as highly polished as some of the others shown in this thread, but this is my "Purple Pinto" Herter's .44 mag, with polished steel barrel, ejector rod, cylinder, and grip frame and "rust browned" cylinder frame, wearing purpleheart wood grips. Just a DIY project to keep me busy during retirement and recovery time (seems like these days I'm ALWAYS recovering from something!).

Mike