SRH Barrel Chop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AZRuger

Bearcat
Have a 7.5" SRH. Even had Gemini do some custom work on it. I like so much about it, and thought I'd really like the extra barrel length...except, I don't. The gun feels so muzzle heavy and it starts to weigh on me after shooting for a bit.

So, I thought about chopping the barrel to 5.5" but I got thinking, is the forward weight from the long barrel or the reinforced frame forward of the cylinder? In other words, will I even get relief if I chop the barrel?

My brother may have had the best suggestion...get a SBH w/ 4 5/8" barrel.

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
A couple years ago I had Cylinder & Slide chop my 9.5 inch SRH down to 6 inches. It really makes a difference in the way the gun points and balances. They magnaported the muzzle as well, so there is almost no muzzle flip -- just a very hard push into my palm.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Among others, I have a couple of 7.5" SRH's and 5.5" Toklat SRH's. The balance in hand is markedly different. You won't even recognize your gun after having it cut down. Granted, there's an ounce or two shaved off of the sides of the slab-sided Toklats, but the bulk of the weight savings is from cutting down the barrel.

I've owned a couple hundred revolvers in my relatively short life, and have worked on multiple times more than I've owned come across my work bench. The 5.5" Toklat SRH is the best balancing magnum revolver I've ever handled.

Chris at Bayside Custom Gunworks cut my 480 down. Shoots better than before it was chopped and feels great. Reasonable and fast turn around time.

2wpkwad.jpg

whichwatch

Blackhawk
I have the SRH Toklat with the factory 5" barrel, I feet it has perfect balance. I prefer shorter barrels on my revolvers, with this one, my 4 5/8" SBH and 4" S&W
Model 29 being just about perfect. I had an 8 3/8" model 29 also, the barrel was just toooooo long, hard to carry, muzzle heavy and more trouble than it was worth, to me anyway.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
I had a 7.5" SRH cut down to 4.5", everyone that shoots it is surprised how balanced it is and how well it handles full house loads. I'm happy with it.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Or start lifting weights.....................

LOL, But I do like a 4 1/2" SBH w/ slab sides!

MaxP

Buckeye
My .500 Linebaugh SRH had a 5-inch barrel and think it was a great length -- great balance even with the Ultradot up top.

P1010551.jpg