SR9c or SR40?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mr25-06

Single-Sixer
I already have an SR9, so which of these 2 should I purchase next? I eventually hope to own both, but can only get one here soon.

Are the SR40's kinks(if they had any) worked out? Any color variations yet? I am not a huge fan of the stainless slide SR9 I own, but really like the looks of either the black on black or black on green.

How does the SR9c compare to the SR9? Can is use the same 17 round mags in each?

Jon

Lateck

Single-Sixer
I own the 9c and SR40, (not the SR9, yet).

The two do different things.
The 9c is a great carry gun and it "Feels" the same only lighter then the SR9.

The 40 is a larger bullet! (I would like a .357SIG barrel to go with mine!)
So it hits harder, or so it is claimed, (9mm vis .40 S&W)

I see the 40 is now available in both black and stainless.. (Mines stainless) and NO PROBLEMS have come up....

I would vote for the SR9c first then the SR40, that's what I did (I'll add the SR9 later :lol: )

My two cents, for what it's worth.

Lateck,

Yawn

Blackhawk
Do you carry your SR9? Would you rather carry something smaller? Would you prefer a bigger round? Turthfully, other than small trigger/striker spring issues/varriants, the size of the gun (Compact or Full Size), and the caliber of the round, there really isn't much difference between the three current SR series guns. So, it is really more about prefference and intended use at this point in my opinion.

Ret_Fed

Bearcat
In my opinion, the most important factor for your choice of a weapon for personal protection purposes should be the weapon that you can fire with the most accuracy. If you're not hittin' your target, you're wastin' your shots !

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Lateck said:
I own the 9c and SR40, (not the SR9, yet).

The two do different things.
The 9c is a great carry gun and it "Feels" the same only lighter then the SR9.

The 40 is a larger bullet! (I would like a .357SIG barrel to go with mine!)
So it hits harder, or so it is claimed, (9mm vis .40 S&W)

I see the 40 is now available in both black and stainless.. (Mines stainless) and NO PROBLEMS have come up....

I would vote for the SR9c first then the SR40, that's what I did (I'll add the SR9 later :lol: )

My two cents, for what it's worth.

Lateck,

+1 I agree..... I have both too... both stainless..

boomer 8)

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
I have the SR9c and I use it as my CCW. I am patiently waiting for Ruger to come out with an SR40c. I really like the feel of the compacts, and I'm sure the 40c would be a great carry gun.

K_Mac

Bearcat
I have not seen the SR40 yet.

You can use the 17 rnd mags in the 9c. It will come with a 10 rnd. and a 17 rnd unless purchased where 17 is prohibited. The 17rnd mag comes with a slip on grip extension that makes the 9c feel very much like its big brother. With the 10 rnd mag it is very concealable yet big enough to feel comfortable in my hand. For all of these reasons I own the 9c (blackened alloy). It is accurate, fun to shoot, and has been completely reliable.

Lefty

Bearcat
I have the 9c and love it. My choice would be an SR9 so that I can use the same mags. I have a lot of .45's but no .40's. If they had an SR45 or 45c I'd buy one.

Yawn

Blackhawk
Yeah, if I wanted a bigger cartridge than a 9mm, I would not go .40... I am wanting to step into the .45 world though.

Nevada

Single-Sixer
Most police departments seem to have moved to the .40. It's supposed to be more effective. I have 9s and 45s, so an intermediate round doen't make sense for me. Considering the 40 has 180 gr ammo and the 45 has 185gr ammo available, I don't think you would be losing anything with a 40 except the larger size of a 45 pistol.

FWIW, I have never shot a 40. I have a P95 and P345. These are just my thoughts.

jeffegg2

Bearcat
I have the SR9c, and couldn't see the point in getting the SR9. With the 17rnd mag and extension the SR9c is essentially a SR9 with a slightly shorter barrel.

I have been thinking either the 1911 /45, or lcp .380 for the next gun.
I also have found myself looking at the Mark III Target in SS. Sweet looking plinker and cheap rounds!

I love my SR9c!!! :shock: