SR9C Magazine - Can it be modified to hold 12 rounds?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

robilmichael

Bearcat
I have a SR9C and a Taurus PT111. The magazines are almost exactly the same size, but the PT111 holds 12 rounds.

Can the follower in the SR9C mag be modified to allow the mag to hold 12 rounds?

Just asking, and checking to see if anyone has cut off the "legs" of the follower to see if it can be modified to hold 11 or 12 rounds.

Thanks.

jhearne

Buckeye
The SR9c is also available for sale in more states than the Taurus.

You could but you might effect the mag's ability to efficiently stack and feed properly. I could hold 12 rounds, but it might not work properly is what I'm getting at. I wouldn't bother with it.

You can't extend the mags either at the base due to the shape of the metal tabs on the bottom, they bend inwards, not outwards like the 17 round mag bodies.

Josh

robilmichael

Bearcat
Thanks, yes, I know it is not possible to modify the bottom of the mag, but if you take the mag apart and look at the follower you will see that it is the elongated legs and extended base of the follower that stop the follower from going any lower.

I may order a follower from Ruger and try it.

Thanks.

Anyone else try this yet?

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
Josh is spot on. It won't run reliable enough to be more than a range mag or a malfuncation practice mag. If you plan to carry the SR9c with that mag size don't try to out smart the factory on this.
So...
Short answer yes it will hold 11 if you cut it, no it will not work for a mag you bet your life on, and it will cost 35 dollars or so to replace since you can't get just the follower. Ask me how I know...

robilmichael

Bearcat
Thanks for the input and advice.

Is was a question and thought that I had, and it sounds like Galloway has already tried it!

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Has anybody tried it!!! Sure, many of my customers over the years. That's exactly why they "became" my customers! Contrary to popular belief, factory engineers spend a lot of time and research when they put new pistols together. Part of that time is engineering a properly operating "feed" system. (Not so much these days though it seems)! I marvel at some of the "modifications" I have seen over the years. 99% of them did not work right! If you must do this kind of thing, then keep factory spare parts on hand. Good advice also given above..................Dick :wink:

robilmichael

Bearcat
Thanks. Note however that my inquiry was not to question the engineering done by Ruger (i.e., your comment about "contrary to popluar belief"), but I was only wondering if Ruger designed the follower with the elongated legs so as to limit the mag to 10 rounds so as to make it legal in all 50 states.