SR9c - Loaded Chamber indicator, how I love thee

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sky1

Bearcat
This morning I had to pack up my gear for the IDPA shoot this afternoon.
I grab the box and put the high cap magazine in it, then rack the gun to eject the bullet that was chambered.

I then stopped and looked at the gun and noticed the Loaded Chamber indicator was up, is it stuck? I press down on it, nope. Then I noticed the OTHER magazine was still in the gun OMG!!!

I then do proper clearing by ejecting the mag then anther rack. Okay so I always go by the rules of safety so would probably have been fine but just goes to show you that it take practice, practice, practice of proper handling technique in case on rule had been compromised.

Had I shown up at the range with a loaded round in my gun, I would have probably lost my membership.

THANK YOU RUGER!!

boltons75

Single-Sixer
I just took mine out, removed an 1/8 inch or so of metal from where it rest on the case, then I polished it up a bit with my dremel and a bit of stainless polish. I was careful to leave the angles as the were originally, it still serves its function, but looks a heck of a lot better now IMHO. And also doesnt get snagged on my Desantis anymore while holstering.

IMAG0967.jpg

IMAG0969.jpg

ConradM

Blackhawk
I liked it on my SR9 and XDm... but I found myself doing press and chamber checks anytime I handled the gun anyway.

Verndog

Blackhawk
Lateck said:
I too, like the LCI on the SR's...
BUT we are in the minority.....
Thanks for the heads up... Sky
Lateck,

I'm not so sure we are the minority (yes I like it also).
I think those that dislike it are just more vocal....Rev...your up. :lol:

rugergal11

Bearcat
The SR9c is only the second pistol I've ever owned. My other is a revolver. As a somewhat new gun owner, I love the LCI. I still check everytime to see if the chamber is loaded, but it makes me think to check it again!

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Maybe it's not so much the idea of an LCI, but the execution of it that some people dislike. The XD has an identical type of LCI but it's far less obtrusive, does the same job and is just a cleaner execution.

Some will say it doesn't matter if it's a bit clunky...hopefully not the same who say how handsome the SR pistols are. :?

The Mark IIIs have a bogus LCI, the cause of FTFs by design. A guy on rimfirecentral has a nice little business making fillers for the Mk IIIs when the LCI gets deleted.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Verndog said:
I think those that dislike it are just more vocal....Rev...your up. :lol:

Nah .... I don't like them and won't have them on guns I own .... don't really care if guns I'm not interested in have them or not. If people like 'em or don't like 'em ... makes no nevermind to me. Personally ... I think they're useless ... I would properly clear ANY gun ANYWAY, and that doesn't mean I'm going to trust some stupid lever being up OR down.

My Springfield 1911 has one of sorts, but it's just a tiny hole drilled into the chamber hood where you can see brass if you look into it .... never looked into it once.

Carry on !! :D

REV

Sky1

Bearcat
And some don't like a thumb safety either, but I like them as well

Curley Red

Bearcat
I like the LCI and the thumb safety of my SR9C. It was some of the things I was looking for in a CC piece and so far I love it.

Sky1

Bearcat
And some don't like a thumb safety either, but I like them as well

Knecht

Single-Sixer
StarfireSR9 said:
Love the LCI! How do people without them check for a loaded chamber in the dark?

They pull the slide and wait to hear the "clink" :lol:

I don't mind having the LCI on my LC9.

gunman42782

Hunter
To each their own. If you treat all guns as if they are always loaded, as you are supposed to, a LCI is not needed. I, for one, despise them, as I do internal locks and magazine disconects.

gfw1985

Bearcat
Still becoming comfortable with both my new SR9C and MKIII. LCI, I have no opinion one way or the other as I rarely notice, and don't depend on it. Mag release, I can see being an issue when seconds count. Thumb safety is a natural for me having shot mostly 1911's.

Ratster

Bearcat
Would rather it did not have one. However, it doesn't "bother" me either. What I see that is stupid, is the "LOADED WHEN UP" on the top and the red paint on the sides of it. Looks cheesy and the whole thing is totally unnecessary.

The thumb safety is no issue for me. Disengagement is pretty much automatic while drawing with some practice.

OldNavy

Single-Sixer
Ruger should have made the LCI smaller and the thumb safety larger (and a bit further forward).
With a little bit of effort, I can flip the thumb safety off with one hand, but it almost always requires two hands to flip it on.

Rat1

Bearcat
Don't have an SR9C but on my LC9 I removed it ground a little off the tab so it don't stick up quite as high and colored it black so it blends in a little better.

Love my LCI now since it doesn't stick up even a fourth as high as it used to. It will be better next time I do a full cleaning on the slide since I am going to take the dremel after it some more.

mogtbiker

Bearcat
I have been shooting for a little over two years and have owned the SR9C for most of the time. Personally, I like the LCI. I understand why many do not care for it. However, they have been shooting much longer, in most cases, than us newer shooters. While I am striving to attain the automatic safety check levels the experienced shooters employ as if it were second nature, the LCI has certainly helped me in those instances where I am still learning but, unfortunately, made a mistake. Thanks to the LCI, embarassment was the only result of my mistake. I personally prefer the LCI to the potential consequences of not having the LCI.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
We are after all only human and as such will on occasion make mistakes. Anything that can save us from ourselves definitely has at least one positive attribute.
The only guy that's ever been perfect came to a very unhappy ending.
Sal

Latest posts