correct caliber loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including high-velocity and
hollow-point loads, loaded in brass, aluminum, or steel cartridge cases. No 9mm
Parabellum or .40 S&W ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO,
U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or known
not to function in these pistols.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Iron Mike Golf said:
I understand that to mean 9mm +P yes, 40 S&W +P no.
AFAIK, there is no SAAMI definition for "40+P" so no standard exists and anything labeled as such can be whatever the seller wants to make, including ridiculously unsafe. Remember, the .40S&W is a very high pressure round to begin with so there is no room for +P.

Also, there is no SAAMI standard for 9 mm +P+ so, again, you have no idea what you are getting. However, a couple of big ammo makers do sell what they label as 9 mm+P+ so I expect they can be trusted but they limit the sales to LE and you won't find it at the local Cabelas.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
RedlegM109A1 said:
Frankly I have never seen or heard of S&W 40+P. It is already a very potent round so not sure why +P would even exist.

Agreed I don't claim to have seen them all but as far as my Gold Dots 180g / Critical Duty 175g neither of them are marked +P,

Its possible +P versions are out that there I just haven't seen. Corbon I think does make +p loaded variants I could almost swear I've seen them on the shelf but can't be sure.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
RedlegM109A1 said:
Trucker said:
RedlegM109A1 said:
Frankly I have never seen or heard of S&W 40+P. It is already a very potent round so not sure why +P would even exist.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/53...w-p-155-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20

You could not pay me to shoot this stuff.

It was posted as informational. You said you'd never heard of +P 40 cal ammo. I don't care whether you shoot it or don't shoot it, now you've heard of it.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Trucker said:
It was posted as informational. You said you'd never heard of +P 40 cal ammo. I don't care whether you shoot it or don't shoot it, now you've heard of it.
Point made but there were a lot of disclaimers in the Midway write up. Buffalo Bore is generally a reputable manufacturer but they tend to work on the leading edge of acceptable pressure. I wonder what the pressure of that round really is.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
The 9 mm is an old round, introduced in 1902 and with pressure limited to 35,000 psi. The 9 mm +P loading was developed in the early 1990s with pressure up to 38,500 psi and is only recommended for use in modern firearms and will shorten the useful life of most compact pistols like the LC9. The 40 S&W is a new design introduced in 1990 and is already loaded to close to it's safe limits without a +P version. If a person feels the need for power or performance that is beyond the capability of the 9 mm +P, 40 S&W or 45 ACP they should consider the 10 mm Auto or 50 Action Express rather than pushing the firearm to it's absolute limits. There are too many things that can happen, like a bullet getting set back or seated too deeply that will cause pressure to soar way beyond limits, and things like that will probably get by with a normal load, but with an absolute maximum load it is a invitation for disaster.

woodman39

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
Iron Mike Golf said:
I understand that to mean 9mm +P yes, 40 S&W +P no.

Also, there is no SAAMI standard for 9 mm +P+ so, again, you have no idea what you are getting. However, a couple of big ammo makers do sell what they label as 9 mm+P+ so I expect they can be trusted but they limit the sales to LE and you won't find it at the local Cabelas.
The Winchester Ranger T series 9mm +P+ 127gr is labeled as L.E. only but is available to the public. I bought 6 boxes of it about a year ago from sgammo.com
There is no saami specs for +P+ but the manufacturers load it to 40,000-42,000 psi. as opposed to 38,000 for standard 9mm and 38,500 for +P.