SR9 - Who here has shot the most rounds

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gotime

Bearcat
I've realized I'm going through a decent amount of rounds a week (500) and was wondering who here has shot the most through their SR9. I'm basically looking for reliability data. I LOVE my SR9, but I didn't think I'd be spending this much time at the range and a part of me now is wondering if I should have gone with a Glock which has decades of proven reliability.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

jhearne

Buckeye
Welcome to RF.com gotime! I put my first 1000 rounds without a cleaning. Reliability is something I'm not worried about. I clean it regularly now, but I've had zero issues. You'll find this a common trend with SR9 owners. It eats anything I feed it, but I don't give it junk either, WWB and CCI Blazer (Aluminum) are my favorite for FMJ. I'm not that picky on SD/HD loads, but I've had no problems with feeding anything I can.

I don't shoot a fraction of what most anyone else here shoots. My first 6 months I did ok, now I'm lucky to get 250 rounds in every few months. Doesn't help that the closest range is a good 20-30 minute drive for me one way.

Josh

graygun

Hunter
I'm only at 1,280.

Before I bought mine in Aug of 08,I read some online reports. In one of them,the guy put 12,000 rds (of various type) through an SR-9. I believe he was shooting at the Ruger plant in Prescott. He said he had no problems.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Approximately 1050, zero issues shooting WWB. Cleaned three times, dry-fired about 300 times total during practice sessions and when I was familiarizing myself with the pistol.

The gun is better than new. I'd trust my life on its ability to go bang accurately.

sparks701

Bearcat
I got mine in Feb. 08' and have 8325 rounds with 1 failure for trigger to reset at 3500 rounds. Could have been due to my reloads, but had another trigger fail to reset again around 6000 rounds. Those are the only failures I have had.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
glocks fail. I am waiting on an extractor as I type.
While my sigma ran circles around it.
Most guns are good, it's not the design usually, but guns and parts
will fail eventually. All guns, even Glocks have issues.
(well except for my p89, it won't ever fail :))
If you like the way the Ruger trigger handles and the gun handles
you made the right choice.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I'm pretty sure that someone has passed me up by now and I haven't kept track so well lately but I have over 9,000 rounds thru mine. I have never had a glitch with mine except two short loads (factory ammo) very early on, the gun has been absolutely amazing in it's reliability.

A

Anonymous

I'm at almost 1500 rounds in just a few weeks of owning it. It's been flawless. :0)

Strange

Bearcat
I'm not even close. Just got my SR9 in Feb and love it, but have only had a chance to fire around 400 rounds. :oops:

A

Anonymous

Strange":26o81hn7 said:
I'm not even close. Just got my SR9 in Feb and love it, but have only had a chance to fire around 400 rounds. :oops:

My wife travels for work a lot and I have a lot of free time. (I also like to contribute to the economy.) :lol:

bigfanofsr9

Bearcat
In one month on ownership, I've managed 650 flawless rounds. 250 Reloads from Ultramax, 100 WWB, and the rest have been Federal.

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
Aprox 1200rnds
2x FTF, both times was the ammo.
So far, it is flawless.
I do more dry fire than live fire with most guns and using caps, but a striker fire is a PITA, so it gets less...

pamato18

Bearcat
As of tonight 699 rounds through my SR9.

During break in period before cleaning and due to some novice limp wristing I had I believe 1 or 2 FTF/FTE. Since then I have had only 2 FTE: one was a round I had dropped and the bullet slid deeper into the brass, the other was a handload that a guy was shooting in his Glock 34 and had loaded to be real light and have less recoil. Other than that it has performed flawlessly, eating up Federal, UMC, and Independence.

flyers76

Bearcat
I've got close to 1,300 rounds through mine, had two FTE's my first clip, mainly due to limpwristing. Not one problem since -- have shot Independence, Federal, American Eagle, CCI, S&B, WWB, Remington, Speer ammo, all 115g or 124g--also put Corbon JHP +P (which I highly recommend for SD--1,350 fps muzzle velocity in a hollow point will seriously slow down ANYTHING), Hornady Critical Defense JHP and Winchester Silvertip JHP through, no problems...none, nada..even with the JHP +P can fire as fast as I can pull the trigger and no jams whatsoever.

rugerfan100

Single-Sixer
gotime":1n55icbb said:
I've realized I'm going through a decent amount of rounds a week (500) and was wondering who here has shot the most through their SR9. I'm basically looking for reliability data. I LOVE my SR9, but I didn't think I'd be spending this much time at the range and a part of me now is wondering if I should have gone with a Glock which has decades of proven reliability.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Has your SR9 been unreliable?

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
Bought mine in early 09 and have just over 4000 rounds mostly federal or winchester white box. Only problem I,ve had was the mag release got stiff so I cleaned it lubed it and no problems sense. Dusterman

gotime

Bearcat
rugerfan100":5o59kgvk said:
Has your SR9 been unreliable?

No... but "reliability" is something that is associated with long-term use. I obviously haven't shot a ton of rounds through it yet (or I'd have the answer to my own question), so I thought I'd check here to get data from people who have.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
jhearne":1gqrcjqb said:
Welcome to RF.com gotime!
I don't shoot a fraction of what most anyone else here shoots. Doesn't help that the closest range is a good 20-30 minute drive for me one way.

Josh

Gosh, I wish I could shoot that close. I have two places, outdoor handgun and indoor handgun/rifle; both are 45 minutes one way.
I used to live in Kansas (KU) and lived four miles out of town; used to walk out my back door (with my Golden Retriever) to shoot. Now that was nice. That was God's country.
On the other hand, I've lived near Carlisle, Pa and we had our own indoor shooting range, right in town, with about 15 stations. We had our own door-key and could shoot 24 hrs, except when we had Cub Scouts shooting .22 matches. Our dues were $5 per YEAR. We shot a lot of .45 ammo those days. I suspect that political correctness has closed it by now. I know we have one fellow here from Carlisle; maybe he'll sign in.
Sonnytoo