SR9 trigger bar upgrade

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rhino

Bearcat
Ok before this thread gets completley HIJACKED :shock:

Bye show of hands how many people think the new trigger will be released by Christmas?

<------- Raises hand :D

jhearne

Buckeye
Hoping to see it around Christmas, but whenever it happens to surface will suffice my needs.

Josh

Burley

Bearcat
OK, looks like nobody here has tried this carry system. I might have to get one when the new trigger's ready. I'll post how/if I like it.

woodsman1st

Bearcat
This is a question for opinions; not to start an argument at all. I know a lot of pros, like Massad Ayoob, condemn having a lighter trigger pull on a carry pistol, because it could lead to an accidental discharge, especially during an adrenilan dump. Also probably all of us have heard about an overly aggressive D.A. that will crucify someone for a lighter pull than factory; just like they will go after someone for eliminating the magazine safty disconnect. My SR9 had improved 80% by the time I shot around 2000 rounds through it; and that's without doing a F&B on it. So now the question: why would anyone want to take a chance on getting railroaded by a rogue D.A., or in a Civil Court for intentionally lightening the trigger?

jhearne

Buckeye
It is all about opinions, and hopes that you live in a place where common sense would triumph over politics, but that's hard to come by nowadays.

I'd settle for a 5.5-6 lbs. pull on a carry gun, and whatever I wanted on my range gun. That's why I'm still eyeing that SP2022 in 9mm for a carry/defense weapon and I'm just going to use the SR9 as a range toy. I'm not saying it's not a great defense tool if that's what you have it for. I'd rather have something for SD/HD and something I don't mind tinkering with, I've already got a lot of time invested in my SR9, even if it is all in How-To's. The 3.5 lb connector be a nice addition.

I emailed Ghost the other day and got a response:

"Soon!"

How soon? No idea, hoping before Christmas, but I'm still in no hurry.

Josh

aWoods

Single-Sixer
woodsman1st":16hln8b8 said:
This is a question for opinions; not to start an argument at all. I know a lot of pros, like Massad Ayoob, condemn having a lighter trigger pull on a carry pistol, because it could lead to an accidental discharge, especially during an adrenilan dump. Also probably all of us have heard about an overly aggressive D.A. that will crucify someone for a lighter pull than factory; just like they will go after someone for eliminating the magazine safty disconnect. My SR9 had improved 80% by the time I shot around 2000 rounds through it; and that's without doing a F&B on it. So now the question: why would anyone want to take a chance on getting railroaded by a rogue D.A., or in a Civil Court for intentionally lightening the trigger?

Unscrupulous people will always make up the facts in order to get their way. There's no planning you can do to protect yourself from people who don't believe that you have a right to defend your life. You just have to fight them in court and rely on the jury to make a the correct decision.

Grendel

Single-Sixer
jhearne":3btthvj4 said:
It is all about opinions, and hopes that you live in a place where common sense would triumph over politics, but that's hard to come by nowadays.

I'd settle for a 5.5-6 lbs. pull on a carry gun, and whatever I wanted on my range gun. That's why I'm still eyeing that SP2022 in 9mm for a carry/defense weapon and I'm just going to use the SR9 as a range toy. I'm not saying it's not a great defense tool if that's what you have it for. I'd rather have something for SD/HD and something I don't mind tinkering with, I've already got a lot of time invested in my SR9, even if it is all in How-To's. The 3.5 lb connector be a nice addition.

I emailed Ghost the other day and got a response:

"Soon!"

How soon? No idea, hoping before Christmas, but I'm still in no hurry.

Josh

I remember e-mailing them in March, and was told "in a couple of months". In May, nada. Then we were told July. Then August. Now 2010 is imminent.

-JT

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
woodsman1st":1yxrusbo said:
My SR9 had improved 80% by the time I shot around 2000 rounds through it; and that's without doing a F&B on it. So now the question: why would anyone want to take a chance on getting railroaded by a rogue D.A., or in a Civil Court for intentionally lightening the trigger?

2000 rounds is 40 boxes of ammo right? Say you're lucky and paying $10/box...it cost you $400 to get the trigger pull better?? Why not just do a little F&B and enjoy a better trigger pull for most of those 2000 rounds? Just wondering... I like to enjoy shooting, not grit my teeth every time I pull a nasty trigger. (Yeah, I F&B'd my SR9 trigger some after 100 rounds, couldn't stand it)

Grendel

Single-Sixer
After feeling striker-fired guns with much better triggers, the urge to trade up (and shell out $) for a different gun is growing, particularly since the trigger upgrade apparently is not forthcoming. Had I the money to do so, I likely would have traded for an M&P or XDm by now.

:cry:

-JT

woodsman1st

Bearcat
Actually I was kinda lucky I guess with my SR9; other than heavier than what I was used to with wheel guns, it wasn't that bad. I have carried wheel guns for hunting, target and sport for over 50 years and used to "tune" them up myself. Being new to pistols I was kinda shy about digging into the innards right away other than polishing the throat; and the improving trigger was really kinda gradual at first; then like a light bulb switching on, one day I realized that I was now used to the heavier pull, 6 lbs, and it had gotten pretty smooth. I now have 3 I need to do an F&B to; a Kel Tec 380, Ruger SR9, and a Ruger SP101. Now that winter is upon us, this is when I do my "tuning up" or F&B; refinishing old stocks and checkering and tons of reloading. Besides I was much too busy having fun shooting the SR9 and developing loads and casting bullets for it.
Ken

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
woodsman1st":2flbnx3k said:
So now the question: why would anyone want to take a chance on getting railroaded by a rogue D.A., or in a Civil Court for intentionally lightening the trigger?
There is another scenario where it makes sense. I use my SR-9 for IDPA and plinking. I do not carry it for SD at all, since I only carry heavier calibers. So the trigger upgrade makes perfect sense for my purposes.

Heck, even when I am target shooting my SR-9 at the range, I still have my .45 on my hip.

7tcu

Bearcat
The Ghost web site states that they are unsure of a release date for the SR9. I am now wondering if the company can indeed design a reduced trigger pull connector for this pistol. Reading between the lines, I traded off my SR9.

tango6

Bearcat
I am considering doing the same. I just have not been real happy with my trigger since I bought it and it just keeps getting worse. looking at a nice S&W M&P.

Grendel

Single-Sixer
Should we just abandon any hope of this coming out within our lifetimes, or at least, before the year is out?

-JT

jhearne

Buckeye
Yeah but it's still on the home page listing it's release as a TBD sorta thing. Sure wish they'd get this thing rolling though, or atleast give us some more info.

Josh