SR9 slide lock/release

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Max8700

Bearcat
Just bought a SR9 yesterday after some considerbale research and test shooting; very happy with the purchase. Quick question: At the gun store range, when firing their used SR9 empty and with the slide open, I could push in a new magazine and then press the slide release with my thumb to engage the slide forward and chamber a round (this also is how they explained to do it).

After picking up my new SR9, I read through the manual yesterday evening and it only refers to that piece as a "slide lock" and not a "release." With the slide open and a magazine inserted, I could not apply enough force to engage the slide forward.

Was the test pistol just broken in, or is that only designed as a slide lock and not a release?

Thanks.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Max8700 said:
Just bought a SR9 yesterday after some considerbale research and test shooting; very happy with the purchase. Quick question: At the gun store range, when firing their used SR9 empty and with the slide open, I could push in a new magazine and then press the slide release with my thumb to engage the slide forward and chamber a round (this also is how they explained to do it).

After picking up my new SR9, I read through the manual yesterday evening and it only refers to that piece as a "slide lock" and not a "release." With the slide open and a magazine inserted, I could not apply enough force to engage the slide forward.

Was the test pistol just broken in, or is that only designed as a slide lock and not a release?

Thanks.
The slide lock/slide release question seems to come up a lot. Depending on who you ask, using the slide lock as a release is damaging to the pistol or harmless, your choice. But, yes the slide lock lever can be used as a slide release but requires a pretty hard push on some pistols so that may be your problem. Push harder. :)

The alternative, and preferred method by most shooters is to "slingshot" the slide. Grasp it by the rear, pull it fully back and just let go. Do not "ride" it down, that is don't let it down slowly, just let the recoil spring send it home at full speed.

Max8700

Bearcat
22/45 Fan said:
Max8700 said:

Thanks.
The slide lock/slide release question seems to come up a lot. Depending on who you ask, using the slide lock as a release is damaging to the pistol or harmless, your choice. But, yes the slide lock lever can be used as a slide release but requires a pretty hard push on some pistols so that may be your problem. Push harder. :)

The alternative, and preferred method by most shooters is to "slingshot" the slide. Grasp it by the rear, pull it fully back and just let go. Do not "ride" it down, that is don't let it down slowly, just let the recoil spring send it home at full speed.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will use the slingshot method; appreciate the tip on not "riding it down."

Scott

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum Max8700! - do a search on this forum and you'll find a lot of threads related to the "slide-lock" on the SR9. May give you more opinions and info if you're interested.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
As an SR9 owner and a longtime fan of steel S&W 39 family of pistols, I got into the habit of "dropping the switch" on a fresh mag after it has been inserted. I haven't noticed any damage but the slide release on the SR9 is much harder to drop than the old S&W heavy steel slide lock. Whatever works for you. 2 years of dropping the switch on the SR9 and no problems...but it's probably easier on the gun to slingshot it.....maybe not.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
My understanding is that most will not release by depressing the slide lock button when new. Many will wear to the point that they will. Some have eased the edges of the mechanism to allow it to function this way.

Bottom line for me is that it was not designed as a release. After taking a good look at the mechanism, I have decided to slingshot it for the duration.

jnichols2

Bearcat
Max,

The Ruger manual says to slingshot it. I think slingshot is a better way.

Of course, being left handed, I can't reach the slide lock anyway.

Max8700

Bearcat
Thanks for the feedback everyone; I did find a previous thread as well from last fall (sorry I didn't originally search) and read through that.

Seeing how the manual calls for the slingshot (and especially since the gun is brand new and the slide is tough to release using my thumb anyway) I think I will use the slingshot method for now as I continue to become more comfortable with the gun.

Going to put a couple of hundred rounds through it this weekend; can't wait.

Taterman

Buckeye
jnichols2 said:
Max,

Sorry to jump into your thread, but I have a similar question about my SR9. I also read in the manual that it says to slingshot it and that's what I would prefer to do, however is doesn't work on mine. The slide always just stops when it hits the slide lock button. Are you supposed to hold that button in when slingshotting?
Sorry for the rookie question but it's been bugging me.

Scott

Single-Sixer
If you're doing it right and it doesn't slingshot, then there's something wrong with the release. With the slide locked back, don't touch the button - just pull the slide back enough to disengage (the button should drop down) and LET GO. If that doesn't work, then the button is catching and the spring that holds it needs attention.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Taterman said:
jnichols2 said:
Max,

Sorry to jump into your thread, but I have a similar question about my SR9. I also read in the manual that it says to slingshot it and that's what I would prefer to do, however is doesn't work on mine. The slide always just stops when it hits the slide lock button. Are you supposed to hold that button in when slingshotting?
Sorry for the rookie question but it's been bugging me.
"Slingshotting" will work only if a loaded magazine is in the gun. It won't work on an empty magazine, and it shouldn't. If you are trying to drop the slide after the gun is enpty, you must hold down the slide release or drop the magazine part way.

BTW, I'm left handed also and find pushing the slide release with my left trigger finger works well and I do it that way even on guns with ambidexrtous releases (and magazine releases for that matter).

Taterman

Buckeye
Thanks 22/45 Fan, that makes sense. So you use the slide release at all times to release the slide? Even with a full mag in?

JohnKSa

Single-Sixer
Two other things to consider about slingshotting the slide.

1. It works on virtually any semi-auto pistol. Not all pistols have slide releases (PPK, CZ-52, etc.) and those that do often have them in different positions. Nearly all semi-auto centerfires have a slide, or similar part which can be operated manually. By consistently chambering the first round by slingshotting, you will be teaching yourself a skill that will make it easier to pick up a different pistol and operate it properly.

2. It provides slightly more slide energy on the feeding/chambering cycle because the slide starts from slightly farther back when slingshot vs. when released using the slide release/stop.

Not only is this a theoretical benefit, I have demonstrated that it can be a practical asset on the range. I once fired over 1000 rounds through a Ruger P95 in a single shooting session in a reliability test. On round # 969, the gun jammed while feeding the first round from a loaded magazine using the slide release instead of slingshotting the slide. The gunk from nearly 1000 rounds, plus the extra force required to chamber a round from a fully loaded magazine combined, and the there just wasn't enough forward slide energy to chamber the round properly.

However, the gun continued to function perfectly when the first round from a loaded mag was chambered using the slingshot technique. The small amount of additional energy generated by the additional spring compression was sufficient to chamber the round properly in spite of the gunk and the force required to overcome the friction of the top round in a fully loaded magazine. I fired another 200 rounds or so, and as long as I used the slingshot technique, the gun did not malfunction.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Taterman said:
Thanks 22/45 Fan, that makes sense. So you use the slide release at all times to release the slide? Even with a full mag in?
No, I usually slingshot it but when I occasionally use the slide release I use my left hand trigger finger.

OnTheSide

Bearcat
After reading this thread I went back and read the owner's manuals of the three different pistol designs I have: SR1911, Kahr, and Springfield XD. Springfield recommends releasing the slide with the slide stop. Kahr says ONLY release the slide by depressing the slide stop. Ruger says to release the slide by sling shotting. Funny that the SR1911 slide stop is the most ergonomically designed for pushing with the thumb.

JohnKSa

Single-Sixer
Kahr says ONLY release the slide by depressing the slide stop.
That is correct, and therefore I will not contradict them. They know more about their products than I do and therefore are more qualified than I to tell people how to use them properly.

What I can tell you is that I always slingshot my Kahr CW9 and have never had any issues with doing so.

I suspect that their recommendation is because it can be difficult to properly slingshot a small pistol with a stiff recoil spring. It's hard to get a good grip on the slide and may be difficult to maintain a firm grip on the slide all the way to the end of rearward slide travel. If you don't get the slide pulled all the way back and released abruptly at that point, you will likely end up with a misfeed.

When you don't get full travel (as I discussed in my previous post) then you aren't getting the full amount of forward slide energy to feed and chamber the round. I suspect that Kahr is telling people to use the slide releases because the slight reduction in slide energy incurred by using the slide release is worth the benefit of avoiding what may be a problematic operation for some individuals.

OnTheSide

Bearcat
The CM9 sometimes gives me trouble when trying to slingshot. The round sticks on the feed ramp, or mag, I can't tell. This is with Walmart Federal though. I'm sure my carry ammo, Hornady Critical Defense, would work ok. For me and my weak hands (getting old is a .......never mind) the slide stop is the best way. Always works.