SR9: removing manual safety levers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pevadijk

Bearcat
I love my SR9, but I shoot with a very high grip and the manual safety levers dig in my hand, I guess it won't hurt to remove the levers?
I'm sure that removing the safety levers isn't a good idea, because it's needed the keep the triggerbar and ejector housing in place, but grinding off the protruding parts should be easy...........I guess.

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
hmm
i am sure you can do it, but you better have something with you to push the lever back down if it accidentally works its way up locks itself up...

i am not quite sure how the lawyers wold use this if it were ever used to shoot someone in self defense

i wouldn't want it to get engaged when you needed it if the SHTF..

if you do remove it, you should probably look into ways to keep it from activating itself...

for range use, go for it, but if it is a carry piece then you might want to get some other folks' opinions

pevadijk

Bearcat
I live in The Netherlands and I use the SR9 only on the range, so I'm not concerned about lawyers and such.
The Dutch importer has ordered a spare manual safety, when I have the spare one I'm going to attack the safety with my Dremel.........

keith81

Bearcat
You are not kidding about the high grip. I saw your post and had to pull out my sr9 to see if I could get my hand that far up. I can't even imagine how the safety levers could be in the way but maybe my hands are just that small.

jhearne

Buckeye
I've removed the right lever of the pair, but kept the left side. It won't effect function, and it shouldn't slip unless you make it do so. The indentions in the lever and the spring plungers that are the stops are fairly stiff. I don't recommend doing what you're going to do, but if/when you do, be sure to have a spare ready.

Josh

Gun Fan 70

Single-Sixer
It seems like there was a post from Josh (jhearne) where he had shaved off one side of the safety to keep it from catching fingers on the over hand rack, but it may have been somebody else. Taking down one side might be helpful and still allow you to engage the safety if you need to. That is a really high grip you've got. I'm suprised the slide is'nt biteing you.

Dang Josh, you beat me to it!

Simms65

Bearcat
I've considered doing that myself as I grip very high on both of my SR9's. Instead I rounded off the rear angles of the safety lever and I stopped getting a blister on my thumb from shooting.