SR40c trigger/feed issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

norfolknova

Single-Sixer
Hello all. I picked up a SR40c Friday and afte buying it I took it to the range and ran 50 rounds through. I am new to rugers so I do not know if I had a problem with the weapon or maybe the ammo. 4 times while firing it either failed to chamber the round all of the wa or the trigger would not come back to the full forward position to fire the next round. When this happened I could push the trigger forward with my finger then fire another round. It did this with both the 9 round magazine and te 15 round magazine. I was using Winchester 165gr FMJ ammo. I really like this pistol. Do you think it is a weapon issue or an ammo issue. I am going to go this week back to the range and run some different ammo through it. Thanks in advance

Matt

A

Anonymous

Did you clean it first? All guns should be cleaned of the factory oil and grease before shooting, especially the striker channel.

I've never shot a gun right out of the box, I always do a thorough cleaning.

norfolknova

Single-Sixer
I didn't before I shot it, but did after I got home. I didn't clean the striker channel as i didn't see that in the small manual, but I will look for the video on you tube I saw referanced in another thread and clean that also.
Matt

A

Anonymous

I really don't know why Ruger doesn't stress cleaning prior to shooting, but they should. It seems like they don't want the user removing the striker, but it's necessary in my opinion, or at the very least something like Gun Scrubber should be used to clean it out before shooting it. The factory grease cannot be good for striker performance.

Ruger wastes more money having guns being sent back that you'd think they'd actually stress the cleaning.

I don't know what they're thinking honestly, but I've been around guns so long, I know to clean them first, but new comers won't necessarily know that.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Disassembling a slide might be outside the ability of more people than you'd think. Not every semi-auto needs this to function properly out of the box either. Do many makers explain slide disassembly in the owner's manual?

Maybe Ruger should rethink the type of grease they put in the striker if it's causing problems.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
I have 7 new Rugers that I have taken to the range right after buying them and I have had 0 problems! New right out of the box! I did this to know that THEY work! (I did it with my SIGs also)
Are they loaded with extra grease? Maybe so, but good quality new guns will work. Are the problems at times.....YES! But for the most part Ruger's are good guns!.....
Now as to the light strikes... yes, I have had a couple in my LC9 and a couple in my SR9c over their lifes so far. All with the same brand of ammo. WWB.
As for my SR40c, I have not had any problems other then the trigger needing to smooth out,,,, which is happening.

Lateck,

A

Anonymous

ArmedinAZ said:
Disassembling a slide might be outside the ability of more people than you'd think. Not every semi-auto needs this to function properly out of the box either. Do many makers explain slide disassembly in the owner's manual?

Maybe Ruger should rethink the type of grease they put in the striker if it's causing problems.

It's not exactly slide disassembly in my opinion. You just need to push in a spring loaded pin, then slide the back plate off then the striker will come right out, but when you do that, you can easily remove the stupid mag disconnect, and that's probably what Ruger really doesn't want you doing.:(

That may not even be the OP's problem, but I always clean new guns myself just to be sure.

norfolknova

Single-Sixer
I took the pistol back to the range today and while waiting for a lane to open up I was talk to one of the gun shop employees. I told him what the pistol did. He call the Gunsmith up( One of the reasons I bought the gun from this shop is they do have a reputable gunsmith)> The gunsmith cycled the slide unloaded and dry fired the trigger and it was still hanging up. He took it to his shop and disassebled it and got what he said looked like a very small piece of plastic out of the trigger mechanism. He recleaned and greased it again then fired 15 rounds through it. He was back with my pistol ready to go before there was a lane open on the range. I then fired 50 more rounds through it with out a hitch. Please don't think I am mad or upset at ruger in any way. I bought a ruger on their reputation, i had an issue and my gunshop took care of it. So far the more I shoot this pistol the more I like it.

Thanks for everyones replies.

matt

Mike J

Hunter
norfolknova Thanks for letting us know that you got the issue resolved.

89grand I'm not slamming the Rugers as I kinda want a SR40c right now but it might be a while before I can do anything about it. I have never cleaned the striker channel on my XD though & I have never had a light strike issue. If I do ever buy a SR series gun I will probably clean it since I have read so many folks post here saying it is a good idea.

A

Anonymous

I don't think the guns should have an issue right out of the box, I just think some do. It's just a habit of mine, but I disassemble any gun I get and clean it, then oil it the way I think it should be done before I ever shoot it. I've never had a gun not work right, so I just keep doing the same thing.

I don't like the looks of the stuff Ruger has on the striker from the factory, it shouldn't be left on there in my opinion, or something different used in the first place would be even better.

I think the light strikes are inexcusable whether the gun was cleaned or not, so I'm not defending them at all. If the factory grease is the problem, Ruger should be smart enough to quit using it.

I hate to say it, but I've heard of more light strikes on this forum regarding SR's, than about all models of Glock combined. Although I haven't had that issue myself yet.

dman22

Bearcat
I was experiencing the same.issue with.my Sr9c. The trigger not.fully.returning seemed to be the plastic on the trigger but I couldn't get in there to check it you myself. I sent it to ruger I just hope.to get it back soon. I'm glad the problem was solved for you

norfolknova

Single-Sixer
I am sure Ruger will take care of it. IThe gun shop I bought mine from has an onsite gunsmith, which is one of the reasons I bought from there, plus the local reputationthey have

matt

Sky1

Bearcat
I had the same issue with my SR9c but I fixed it myself.

With mine the problem that was causing the trigger not returning all the way was the angle of a metal linkage that runs up the right side of the gun and did not have enough of a bend to it so it was binding where it goes into a slotted grove made of black plastic near the trigger.

I used a needle nosed pliers to carefully align by increasing the angle of that bend. (right twist) I then noticed it affected the other end where it runs very close to the top edge of the magazine so had to re-angle that side slightly as well. I then cleaned the firing pin and re-assembled.

I ran 50 rounds through it and it is great now, the trigger is smooth as glass.

When you dry fire there should be no binding at all it should feel very smooth and after it releleases the firing pin hold the trigger in and half rack it and then release the trigger slowly, both triggers should pop all the way back.

With mine I noticed if I lightened my squeeze on the gun the trigger returned on its own, that is how I found that it was me distorting the polymer by squeezing so tight that caused this linkage to rub.

Ruger will fix it for ya. I was just in a hurry and is why I went in there to figure out what was up. It is a very tight fit, the angles on these linkages are critical.