SR1911 & leather OWB holster?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

akbluz

Blackhawk
I've been looking for an OWB leather holster for my new SR1911. I have tried the Search function here with no luck. What are the pros/cons of a "thumb-break strap"? What carry holster do you use and would recommend?
akbluz

Mike J

Hunter
I have been using a Galco Fletch holster a friend on the forum gave me. http://www.amazon.com/Galco-Fletch-Holster-Springfield-Right-hand/dp/B0002ILLLW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1420153311&sr=8-3&keywords=galco+fletch

I like it. There are other options and holster choice is a very personal thing. Most of us wind up buying more than one for various guns learning what we do & don't like.

akbluz

Blackhawk
Thanks for your feedback. I'm going to do some "hands-on" looking so hopefully I will wind up only buying one that I'll be happy with.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I don't favor a thumb break on any holster, short of horseback use. For LEO's it makes some sense as they may have to wrestle with a law breaker. A good fitting holster will not allow the piece to fall out, and unless you're an LEO or participating in one of the combat pistol 'games' which sometimes require somersaults etc. you'll be well served by a strapless design.

The old Tom Threepersons open top is quite popular, works well from the tried and true FBI 4 o'clock position and is about as fast as is possible for presentation. A Yaqui slide is also good, but be sure you get one that tightly fits your piece. I like and use them both for CCW.

Best Regards, Rod

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I use a thumb break when I am out in the wild.
In town I like an open top holster.
As far as make there are lots of good holster makers out there.
High Noon and Galco make nice holsters.
There are some people on this sight that make some pretty nice looking holsters also.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I have a Galco combat master for my full size colt & a concealable belt holster for my commander. But I've been wanting an IWB holster for the commander & have been thinking about El Paso's EZ Carry model.
Does anyone have any experience with the EZ Carry holster?
The price is appealing & it's designed so no part of the gun contacts the skin.
I had a Fletch for my SP101 & it's a nice holster.

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
If you have gun shows in your area you might want to see whats there. I bought mine at the local show from a guy that makes all kinds of holsters and belts. He makes some pretty nice stuff and I'm happy with it.

Yes, its a lefty. Thats one reason I bought from him. Left handed can be hard to find some times.

bb26c8c7-c47d-4971-9467-59066eb25ef3.jpg

y2k-fxst

Single-Sixer
Have not found any one holster that fills every need. Currently I have 3 different holsters for my SR1911, and use them at different times depending on what I am doing, and how I'm dressed.

gramps

Hawkeye
It depends on your activity. Out in the boonies a tanker style would be good. Around town an open topped belt slide is minimal, but effective. Good luck in your selection.
gramps

Gunner4640

Bearcat
I carry mine 1911's in a Tagua OWB also sometimes I carry my Beretta 9 in the same holster $35.00 on ebay

brushunter

Single-Sixer
I also use an El-Paso , cept mine has the thumb break. Seems good quality , good leather. I've always used a thumb break ....just because . False sense of security ...maybe

regards , brushunter