SR1911 CMD Fit & Finish

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
After spending a few range sessions with my new Commander (now at 400 flawless rounds), I wanted to take a moment and offer my initial thoughts for what they are worth. While some 1911 "aficionados" aren't excited about or comfortable with with the SR's cast frame and MIM parts, I must say that this relatively inexpensive pistol has at least so far exceeded my expectations.

Finish
In one word .... Flawless. It was perfect out of the box and looks IMHO equal to stainless steel pistols costing hundreds/thousands more.

Fit
While I was impressed with the fit the day of purchase, the digital calipers confirmed what I already suspected to be true:
1. Slide to frame fit - uniform and very good at .0019 clearance (no "slop" vertically or horizontally).
2. Barrel to bushing fit - very good with a .0017 clearance
3. Bushing to slide fit - good with a .0023 clearance (it can be removed with my fingers but is much easier to remove with the bushing wrench).
4. While in battery, there was no perceptible vertical movement when pressing on the barrel hood.
5. Both magazines had a positive lock and a proper release with no hangups.

Accuracy
While I've seen reports (http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR1911CMD.htm and others) demonstrating that these pistols are capable of sub 2" groups at 25 yards from a Ransom rest, my only concern is what it will do in my hands out to 10 yards or so. So far it has consistently produced sub 2" groups off hand at 10 yards, which in my book makes it plenty accurate for my needs.

At the end of the day, while the SR1911 is certainly not a match grade Les Baer, Nighthawk or Ed Brown, it is a pretty impressive production 1911 for the price IMHO :). (YMMV)

loaded round

Hunter
You discovered what I found out in early January. My SR1911 CDR-LWT was flawless with both fit and finish plus being extremely accurate to boot. :D

BuckJM53 said:
After spending a few range sessions with my new Commander (now at 400 flawless rounds), I wanted to take a moment and offer my initial thoughts for what they are worth. While some 1911 "aficionados" aren't excited about or comfortable with the SR's cast frame and MIM parts, I must say that this relatively inexpensive pistol has at least so far exceeded my expectations.

Finish
In one word .... Flawless. It was perfect out of the box and looks IMHO equal to stainless steel pistols costing hundreds/thousands more.

Fit
While I was impressed with the fit the day of purchase, the digital calipers confirmed what I already suspected to be true:
1. Slide to frame fit - uniform and very good at .0019 clearance (no "slop" vertically or horizontally).
2. Barrel to bushing fit - very good with a .0017 clearance
3. Bushing to slide fit - good with a .0023 clearance (it can be removed with my fingers but is much easier to remove with the bushing wrench).
4. While in battery, there was no perceptible vertical movement when pressing on the barrel hood.
5. Both magazines had a positive lock and a proper release with no hangups.

Accuracy
While I've seen reports (http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR1911CMD.htm and others) demonstrating that these pistols are capable of sub 2" groups at 25 yards from a Ransom rest, my only concern is what it will do in my hands out to 10 yards or so. So far it has consistently produced sub 2" groups off hand at 10 yards, which in my book makes it plenty accurate for my needs.

At the end of the day, while the SR1911 is certainly not a match grade Les Baer, Nighthawk or Ed Brown, it is a pretty impressive production 1911 for the price IMHO :). (YMMV)

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
dakota1911 said:
Yes, all of that and did we mention they are cute? Well I think they are.

Dakota ... I think that JMB would be a bit aghast to hear the words "1911" and "Cute" used in the same sentence :shock: :? . With that said, the SR1911 certainly does have a certain visual appeal and class about it :wink:.

Latest posts