SR1911 Bullet Setback Problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

w5lx

Single-Sixer
I'd be disappointed in that gun too. Send your photos to Ruger, preferably to the CEO, and explain your situation as to being in Germany and the difficulty and time involved to get a replacement and see what he says. I'm betting they will send you another gun that has been thoroughly inspected, and hopefully will be perfect. Best of luck. Keep us updated.

WolfK33

Bearcat
After a hint from another forum I took a look at the barrel play at it´s aft end with the recoil spring removed using a dowel. It´s a milimeter or a tad more in all directions, see for yourselfes: http://youtu.be/rWv0y2camGE
It´s the same with the spring in place, just needs a little more force.

Should be the explanation for the extremely poor accuracy I guess.

Does anybody know where to find the CEO´s email adress ? I had no luck looking for it.

WolfK33

Bearcat
Thanks, I was looking under "contact" :)

edit: I hope it´s not some intern´s job to answer those ;-)

andyo5

Single-Sixer
This effect is evident with all 3 of my 1911s regardless of gun manufacturer or the magazine used. It is a result of the autopistol design. The nose of the bullet slams against the ramp on its way into the chamber. I deal with it by avoiding rechambering rounds. My carry gun is kept cocked and locked. When I shoot at the range, I shoot the whole magazine and do not rechamber rounds.

Jagdhund

Bearcat
A few weeks ago, I noticed a set-back problem with Hornady FTX 185 gr. rounds in my CMD. Before this morning, I was unaware of this thread. It just so happens yesterday I ran a test of the factory ammo I had on hand. I fed sample rounds out of a full Wilson Combat mag, four times each. I found that some brands are less susceptible than others to set-back.
OAL 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
R-P 230 gr. BJHP Ultimate Defense 1.209 1.208 1.204 1.200
R-P Golden Sabre 230 gr. HP 1.240 1.240 1.239 1.240 Why these apparently identical bullets have different OAL, I don't know.
Speer Gold Dot 230 gr. HP 1.205 1.207 1.206 1.203
Federal 230 gr. Hydro-Shock 1.283 1.282 1.281 1.281
Hornady TAP FTD +P 200 gr. 1.230 1.228 1.221 1.214
Hornady Custom 200 gr. XTP HP 1.247 1.235 1.222 1.205
Hornady Critical Defense 185 gr. FTX 1.250 1.235 1.225 1.210 You'd think this super-streamlined bullet would glide thru with no setback.

My conclusion is that probably all brands would cycle once or twice w/o enough set-back to be critical. Hornady's are another matter. They would seat past the crimp in two cycles. I alerted Hornady to this and I got a somewhat bland, non-committal answer from them.

My method for loading a carry pistol has always been to chamber the first round out of the mag using the slide release. However, with any Hornady rounds, I will drop the round in the chamber, drop the slide and insert the mag. I might also try taper crimping Hornady ammo before using it.

Good shooting!

chaindrive

Bearcat
I noticed this bullet set back with the hornady's also.

first round chambering from the magazine did indeed push the bullet past the cannelure.

very surprising from an outfit like hornady.

this did not happen with Winchester's PDX1 ammo, which does not have the crimp ring.

my hand loads with berry's plated bullets using a taper crimp don't do this either.

think i'll put a taper crimp on the FTX rounds and see what happens.

Jagdhund

Bearcat
Chaindrive: I tried my Redding taper crimp die on two of the Hornady rounds. It did not seem to be making much contact with the case, although I did not mike them before and after to confirm that. There was little or no resistance at the end of the stroke. I would have to set the crimp die down to really put a good crimp on those rounds. I am going to mike the case walls. I wonder if Hornady cases are thinner than others.

chaindrive

Bearcat
jagdhund,

just happened to have some once fired nickel cases I'm prepping so I thought I would mike them.

Winchester, hornady and double tap all came out to .011" - .011.5".

no discernible difference.

I will put a taper crimp on the hornady's using a lee carbide factory crimp die and check the results.

I've got the redding taper crimp die also but the lee seems to put a better taper crimp on the cartridge.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I have 4 1911s and never noticed that on any of them. I really need to test this although I at first had some rough chambering issues before breaking in my SR 1911 before selling it.

George

Blackhawk
OP I didn't read all the post. But this is not a real issue most all 1911's will have bullet set back after you chamber the same bullet time after time.. This is what I would do.. or how I would do it if I was you.. You can have one extra mag load it with one round. You will see this will load much easer with out much if any bullet set back.. Then slap in your full mag..Yes always slingshot the slide closed there not made to work slow as when ridding the slide back.. It's easy to do more harm then good that way because that's one sure way to have a round jump past the extractor then the extractor must ride over the rim of the case and can break off the extractors hook.. I mark my first rounds with a shrpie and I can see when it's time to not use the round for the first round anymore but don't let it get set back to the point I can't fire it at the range.. Hope this helps.. Read a little sorry you sent back your first pistol.. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.. Again some set back is not a issue.. If you load 1 round in a extra mag and load the chamber with that mag there will be no more issues! People who don't have to unload there guns as much just don't have this issue.. George

WolfK33

Bearcat
Hi George,

the problem with the first gun was that the setback occured when chambering a fresh from the box round only once, not repeatedly.
--------

After writing to the CEO about the second SR1911 that was worse than the first, they offered me to send yet another one, inspected by the "line leader" and the "service manager" or get a refund.
As I can´t wait another few months to get another gun that might be ok I chose the refund.

For now I got a HK45 so that I finally have a backup gun when hunting wild boar again. But I´m still willing to give the SR1911 another try, I really like it. Now I have time to look for one that I can thoroughly inspect and maybe test shoot before purchasing, I should be able to sell the HK45 without much loss if I find a decent SR1911.

George

Blackhawk
Glad you have something to get you buy.. Bullets do get some set back with a new 1911 pistol Break in helps polishing the feed ramp does wonders too.. I may be wrong but I don't think you will find a place that will let you shoot a new gun to see if you like it or want to buy it any place.. Maybe a copy " rental" .. If you can great. I'm a 1911 guy got 35+ years. I have a few Colts $1000 + and love then had them some 30 years and I just got a cheap Taurus PT1911 .45 full size with all the bells and whisles for a song and a dance. $499.. No issues at all with any of them.. Hope you get lucky and find one that makes you happy! George

Latest posts