SR1911 broken front sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Wow, somebody needs more fiber.

I actually use mine, shoot mine.

The sight breaking on my SR is just about the lowest priority on my list of life issues.

Sounds like you're more excited about it than anyone here.

I just don't find it a big enough deal. Apparently you do, why don't you contact him. So what if it hasn't happened to you yet, obviously its got a burr up your keister.

Oh, and make sure you sound like a raving lunatic and use all caps in your email. :roll:

Jeezus, take a pill.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
:D :wink: Another of those urban MYTHS to be con"queer"ed. "All caps mean you are yelling." Not at all. Rather, I was whispering to myself(self talk is good for the soul, one must understand.......... I think some Sage or Guru must have said that somewhere down the trail.......) Frankly, again, NONE OF MY OTHER NON-RELATED MESSAGES TO MR FIFER HAVE EVER BEEN ANSWERED(including 'whatever happened to the rest of my non-issued SN 00028 guns?"...........) AND AS I AM NOT YET victimized by the broken front sight problem, it still remains logical(according to my self talk) that one of you other victims tell Fifer to fix this seemingly ongoing problem.....There, you have it. ONCE AGAIN. 8)

eveled

Hawkeye
I'm sure Fifer would say, "send it in we'll fix it". Not trying to start an argument, but what else could he say? What more could you ask for?

I agree wholeheartedly, that they should be changing the sights on the new guns to something better.

revhigh

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
http://www.dlsports.com/interchangeable_1911_front_sight.html

You get what you pay for.

If you're talking about the 1911's pictured on the site above .... You're paying for garbage ....

I must say Sam, I've never seen more hideous looking 1911's in one place ..... before I looked at the above link. Those front slide serrations, and those idiotic lines on the barrel visible through the ejection port are by far the most ugly examples of 'bling' that I've ever seen on a 1911.

Ugly, unflattering, and just plain silly and unnecessary machining. It looks like they gave a kid access to a milling machine.

Their sights may be good, but their machine work is flat out hideous. :D. Ugh .....

Just my opinion on the guns shown .... Nothing more .... :D

REV

mohavesam

Hawkeye
The outfit offers a permanent front sight solution for anyone who wants one, and is unskilled or unable to press a dovetail sight into place. Just trying to stop the hand-wringing here. I don't know or care what else they offer.

Yes, the Novak's MIM sight is poorly-engineered. Possibly dangerous. (none of mine have been a problem).
No, I do not believe their plastic 'light pipe' FS is any better or stronger or safer.
Yes, Ruger should have fixed this with a new supplier long ago.
Yes, shooting Ruger's SR1911 one must wear eye protection.
No, I do not consider $600-700 a high price for a USA made SS 1911 that works. There is always Remington for any thinking shooter.
No, I do not need all the gussied-up work on such a utilitarian killing machine, maybe some desire this. I have seen worse.

Just offering a quality 'smith should some not be able to complete their own internet search (I think I got about 1.8 million sites for "1911 front sight").

DCRuger

Single-Sixer
mohavesam said:
There is always Remington for any thinking shooter.

This is the kind of comment that always bugs me on 'Talk Groups', no matter what kind of talk group it is.
The statement infers that this is THE choice for anyone thats not an idiot!
Personally I've looked at the Remingtons and they certainly don't send any chills up my legs! along with about 10 other manufacturers ( most via the Philipines). Many are WAYYYYYY overpriced for a 1911 that has been copied so many times over the years. Pretty simple machinery there actually! Hype always plays a part. The troubling part about this Ruger problem is the lack of a "Fix" from a company with one of the best and oldest reps in the firearms industry! This is the kind of stuff that can kill ya!
But, telling someone, basically, why did you buy that and not this? is, well, great hindsight.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
mohavesam said:
Yes, the Novak's MIM sight is poorly-engineered. Possibly dangerous.

Novak DOES NOT make MIM sights. The SR1911 sights are NOT made by Novak.

Ruger is the "supplier" of the MIM sights on the SR1911, regardless of what they would have the public to believe.

revhigh

Hawkeye
DCRuger said:
mohavesam said:
There is always Remington for any thinking shooter.

This is the kind of comment that always bugs me on 'Talk Groups', no matter what kind of talk group it is.
The statement infers that this is THE choice for anyone thats not an idiot!
Personally I've looked at the Remingtons and they certainly don't send any chills up my legs! along with about 10 other manufacturers ( most via the Philipines). Many are WAYYYYYY overpriced for a 1911 that has been copied so many times over the years. Pretty simple machinery there actually! Hype always plays a part. The troubling part about this Ruger problem is the lack of a "Fix" from a company with one of the best and oldest reps in the firearms industry! This is the kind of stuff that can kill ya!
But, telling someone, basically, why did you buy that and not this? is, well, great hindsight.

I'm not so sure that's what Sam meant by his statement, but I will say that the R1 is a very good gun, as is the Ruger for an ENTRY LEVEL 1911. From what I've seen ... The R1 is built slightly better than the Ruger. I like its machining more, and I've REALLY grown to dislike the cheap 2 tone look of the SR. quality concerns have also raised their ugly heads. broken sights, rust issues, mag issues, etc., etc. If they wanted to cheapen it ... They should have just made it all blue.

In my mind there's a difference between 'entry level' and 'budget' when it comes to 1911's. Budget 1911's are the RIA's and other off brands and the like, although many people, myself included, consider the RIA's slightly above a budget 1911. Entry level 1911's are the cheapest offerings of the mainstream manufacturers ... Like the R1 and the SR1911.

No matter what any of the koolaid drinking fanboys say ... The SR1911 is an entry level gun. That's why it's funny to hear people say that their SR is 'better' than their Colts, Springfields, and Kimbers ... Yeah right .... Sure it is .... Try to trade it in or sell it and you'll very quickly find out which gun is thought to be 'better' by the 1911 buying public. I'm not saying that one example of an SR can't be 'better' than one example of a Colt, or any other manufacturer, but in general that is not the case. I've NEVER seen a 1911 sight break on any gun OTHER than an SR1911, EVER. all my Colts and Springfields will run with any generic mag that I grab out of a box of over 100 ... totally at random, with no issues. And I've never had a 1911 rust ... Blue OR stainless.

The SR is a good gun, but it has it's issues, which really shouldn't exist at all, given that the design has been around for 102 years and has basically been perfected. Ironically ... The early guns seem to be built to a better quality than the current guns ... Which is just the opposite of Ruger's typical new release. As I said from day 1 a few years ago ... It's a good entry level $600 gun ... And there's nothing wrong with that.

REV

DCRuger

Single-Sixer
Revhigh,
I certainly agree with most of your statement. I too own several high quality 1911s by different folks and none of the $600-700 models such as the Ruger, but, I was looking at the Ruger with 4" barrel as a possible carry gun value. ( I refuse to carry a $1,200+ plus gun for several reasons!) . I THINK you probably took exception to my comment abouut the prices on some of the guns in the 1911 group nowadays. i can STILL buy a top notch Colt in several models for $1,000ish, but keep seeing Dan wessons, Kimbers and a few other models for $1,700-$2,500. I think that is just ridiculous. My most expensive model is my Springfield SS TRP (Which I got early on in pricing) , next to that my old Gold Cup . I can't see what another $400-$1,500 would get me! The most expensive model I'll even think about carrying is my Colt Defender .45.

Robert1955

Bearcat
Well, after about 600 rounds in total thru my SR1911 I experienced the dreaded "Where did my front sight go!!!!" My pistol was manufactured in May of this year and I was hoping Ruger had gotten this CHRONIC issue corrected. I will not replace it with the same failure prone part. Any suggestions for a front sight, or a complete sight set to get her back on the range?

w5lx

Single-Sixer
Robert1955 said:
Any suggestions for a front sight, or a complete sight set to get her back on the range?

Choose the Novak plain black front sight. It is not the original OEM sight that has been breaking. This one is made by Novak.

scottl

Bearcat
w5lx said:
Don't think that one will fit the dovetail.Even if one has the slide machined to fit the sight your still not going to get rid of all the dovetail.
pic_2006_12_15_1615_large.jpg

revhigh

Hawkeye
DCRuger said:
My most expensive model is my Springfield SS TRP (Which I got early on in pricing) , next to that my old Gold Cup . I can't see what another $400-$1,500 would get me! The most expensive model I'll even think about carrying is my Colt Defender .45.

Agreed .... my most cherished guns are my Colt Gold Cups and Pythons. I too can't see justifying the difference between a CGC and a boutique $2500+ Baer or Wilson or whatever. If I can't see improved groups with a more expensive gun ... I don't want it.

I carry either a KelTek P3AT or a Glock 26. Carry guns are carry guns, and range guns are range guns.

REV

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Bigboreshooter said:
mohavesam said:

Ruger is the "supplier" of the MIM sights on the SR1911, regardless of what they would have the public to believe.

Hmmm... better check the shopruger.com site...

Robert1955

Bearcat
Well I emailed Ruger Customer service since it was the day before Thanksgiving and surprisingly I got both an email and phone call in less than 30 mins. After talking with the rep for awhile its going back to the shop for the replacement, it will not break, new front sight. I was told there was a batch, or several, that were either not heated enough or not put under enough pressure and that allowed air bubbles to remain inside the casting and caused the weakness that lets them snap off under use. Also as to who make the sights I am not sure but the rear has the Novak name stamped into it. Here is a closeup of the broken sight.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/h3ciy1ujnmez18u/6_AXEsPLG4

6_AXEsPLG4

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
mohavesam said:
Bigboreshooter said:
mohavesam said:

Hmmm... better check the shopruger.com site...

Not sure what the intent of your comment was, but if you doubt what I posted I suggest you contact Novak and ask them. I did.

Novak neither manufactures nor sells any MIM sights. PERIOD. They do not make the sights for the Ruger SR1911's. Ruger makes them under license from Novak. PERIOD.

Novak is not particularly happy right now that Ruger is dragging their name through the mud with this broken sight fiasco. If it continues, I expect that Novak will put a stop to it.

The information I have is confirmed. I'll just leave it at that.

Merle1948

Buckeye
revhigh said:
DCRuger said:
My most expensive model is my Springfield SS TRP (Which I got early on in pricing) , next to that my old Gold Cup . I can't see what another $400-$1,500 would get me! The most expensive model I'll even think about carrying is my Colt Defender .45.

Agreed .... my most cherished guns are my Colt Gold Cups and Pythons. I too can't see justifying the difference between a CGC and a boutique $2500+ Baer or Wilson or whatever. If I can't see improved groups with a more expensive gun ... I don't want it.

I carry either a KelTek P3AT or a Glock 26. Carry guns are carry guns, and range guns are range guns.

REV

Yep, just like the Western BBQ guns - all flash!!!