SR-556 (5.56mm) for an AR newbie?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tankhead

Bearcat
I don't have any AR's but I want to get my 1st one in a couple months. I just put a 686+ Deluxe on layaway I need to pay off first next month. A few ppls on AR15Armory have recommended something from Addax, Daniel Defense, BCM, LMT and a couple other quality rifles with lifetime warranties. But after picking up a couple magazines today with reviews of the SR-556, I like how much easier it is to maintain. One didn't like the weight, especialy if you gonna add accessories up front though. I love good customer service so why not get a Ruger. I bought a couple 1911's last month and that's one reason why I bought Springfield Armory Loaded models. I did a search a read a handful of threads but thought I should ask this first. Would this be a good rifle for someone just starting out with AR's? Thanks for your help.

BulkAmmo

Bearcat
I wouldn't talk you out of a getting a SR556. They are fine piston ARs and you get a lot of rifle for your money. That being said I don't think you need a high speed AR for your first. Depending on your budget the CMMG or S&W M&P15 rifles are great quality for the price.

While there isn't anything wrong with the piston system. I think they hamper the one thing that really makes a AR shine. That is accuracy. The DI system is a inherantly more accurate platform.

If cost isn't an issue the SR556 is a good option. So are the Addax, Daniel Defense, BCM, LMT. If you have the extra money I normally suggest getting a Colt.

Tankhead

Bearcat
They look like a fine rifle with lots of good reviews. The only thing I'm not liking about it right now is that the upper doesn't break down say like the Sig SWAT 556 does. I really liked how far you could break down the Sig 556. I'm haven't really decided yet on a piston or DI type yet. But in my research I did read an e-mail from Ruger to a customer about the accuracy of it's AR he was having trouble with and 4 MOA at 100 yards, although much better from independent tests, is not what I would have expected. :shock: Or maybe thats about right for a piston driven AR.

SIGWatchman

Bearcat
I drank the piston cool-aid and purchased the SR-556. Accuracy is about 1moa with good ammo. Certainly more accurate than other chrome lined ARs I've shot. It has all that one could want out of the box and has a nice EBR feel to it.

I get a large feeling of 'meh' over not being able to break it down further like the SIG. The op-rod is pretty simple and really doesn't need anything maintenance wise. The piston and regulator will give you some grief if you let it foul up. And in true Ruger fashion, it could be easier to open up and put back together. Mine has a little bit of carrier tilt and I'm thinking a Seth Harness anti-tilt buffer is on the horizon. The chamber is tight and doesn't like wolf. No biggie for me as I have a nice stash of good brass for it. The hogue grip is nice but does nothing to remove that teeny tiny feel that AR grips have. The trigger is good for AR standards but still nothing to jump up and down over.

I like it and will keep it however it has more cons than pros. It's heavy. Piston conversions (the Ruger is a conversion and not some redesign) have inherent problems with carrier tilt, cam pin drag, and some suggest uneven lock/unlock of the bolt. The regulator can cause a hassle to remove if carbon is left to build up. And once you understand the AR a little better, spotlessly clean ARs are a bit of a waste of time.

Some words on maintaining an AR. The DI AR is *simple*. Unless your shtf scenario includes some Dune like environment with lots of sand or you plan on using antique ammo with corrosive attributes, put away the notions of keeping it clean. My zen moment with DI carbines is when I gave up keeping the bolt/carrier/upper receiver clean and moved on to accepting a sloppy soup of thick axle grease along with a few drops of motor oil to thin the grease out a little. Run a bore snake through the barrel, ensure the chamber and bolt face is clean, call it a day. Every 500 rounds or so, wipe everything off with paper towel, remove any excess carbon build up from gas chamber and the back of the bolt, re-grease/oil. The so-called POS Bushmaster I sold to fund the Ruger functioned like, like a well oiled machine. :wink:

If you can get past having a gun that is not spotlessly clean in your safe, get a DI S&W M&P15 or better and call it a day.

chopprs

Single-Sixer
For some reason they just never did anything for me. I am a big Garand fan and just love the Mini-14. It comes apart extremely easy and out of the box accuracy is better than most other .556s I have shot. I have had mine for almost thirty years and done just about anything you can imagine to it and it still runs like greased lightning. I am not saying that I would not buy one, just that there are many things on the list ahead of an AR type gun....