SR 1911 or Colt XSE Goverment

Help Support Ruger Forum:

reid

Bearcat
I'm looking to add a full size 1911 to my arsenal. I have a Colt Commander and a Light weight commander. I've narrowed my choices to these 2. My question: Is the Colt XSE worth the extra money over the Ruger? The difference in price would buy a lot of ammo.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Given your ability to afford it ... Always get the Colt.

If its range use only ... I'd get a Gold Cup instead ... Most of the stuff on the XSE is cosmetic doo dads anyway. I ALWAYS go for accuracy first ... Never cosmetics.

If you want to save $200 and still have the accuracy .... Get a Range Officer (around $825-850).

If you want a bare bones 1911, and you can deal with all the cheap looking black MIM parts, the Ruger is a good choice at the $600 price point. At $700 I'd probably get the R1 SS Enhanced.

If you don't already own a Gold Cup, and you're a Colt guy ... I would HIGHLY recommend the GC. I have 2 ... They are spectacularly accurate, and most have great triggers right out of the box.

Any of the Springfield Loaded Target models are also very nice, especially in stainless.

The Ruger is a great gun at the right price ($600 or so), but the two tone look has really started to turn me off lately. Especially after seeing the R1 stainless at about the same price. A very classy looking gun.

REV

dakota1911

Buckeye
I would buy the Ruger SR1911. I have a couple. Down the road you will like owning it. If you have the money and see one then buy a new Colt Series 70. I got one a month or so ago in SS for $1019.

6gun

Hunter
If price is no object take the Colt, I only buy Rugers cause I can't afford Colts.

GKC

Blackhawk
Colt is the original and iconic 1911...but the Ruger is a solid choice. If you want a shooter, the Ruger will suit you well. If you need service, Colt may take a couple of months or more, while Ruger will be much faster and better. Of course, Colt will likely hold its value or even increase some...not sure what the SR1911s will do, but I wouldn't expect them to appreciate in value a lot, if at all.

Personally, I don't like a 1911 with a FPS...or FCS...and if money IS an object, the Ruger will cost you about $200 less. But then, a Colt is a Colt.

revhigh

Hawkeye
GKC said:
If you need service, Colt may take a couple of months or more, while Ruger will be much faster and better.

Personally, I don't like a 1911 with a FPS...or FCS...and if money IS an object, the Ruger will cost you about $200 less.

It's a rare Colt that needs service or QC work in my experience. I own dozens of Colts and only one has ever needed service ... A very old Python that was bought by me well used that needed a new pawl. Colt repaired it, retimed it, and it cost me $45 for the repair. As for Ruger ... It's probably a very good idea to consider the quickness of their service and repair performance these days, especially if you rely on, and need your gun on a daily basis.

Saying you don't like FPS's is fine ... But do you really have a justifiable reason for that stance ? I don't. I could care less what 'series' a Colt 1911 is ... It doesn't affect their functionality, and I can't tell the difference in triggers either way. I have examples of Colt 1911's in all different series. I don't buy a gun with a bad trigger, no matter the brand. Saying 'I don't like FPS's' is no different than me saying 'I don't like green'. It's your opinion, and that's fine. If I gave you a bunch of 1911's to shoot ... I guarantee you'd never be able to tell the difference. As a matter of fact .... I'd put money on it.

I read about all the feeding issues, mag issues, sight issues, rust issues, etc etc, that people have with other 1911's ... and I think ... Hell ..... I've never had ANY issues with my Colts ... Not too hard to connect the dots .... to say nothing about retained value.

If you can afford the Colt ... Buy it ... You'll never go wrong buying a Colt ... Especially a Gold Cup.

REV

montegomx70

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
Given your ability to afford it ... Always get the Colt.

If its range use only ... I'd get a Gold Cup instead ... Most of the stuff on the XSE is cosmetic doo dads anyway. I ALWAYS go for accuracy first ... Never cosmetics.

If you want to save $200 and still have the accuracy .... Get a Range Officer (around $825-850).

If you want a bare bones 1911, and you can deal with all the cheap looking black MIM parts, the Ruger is a good choice at the $600 price point. At $700 I'd probably get the R1 SS Enhanced.

If you don't already own a Gold Cup, and you're a Colt guy ... I would HIGHLY recommend the GC. I have 2 ... They are spectacularly accurate, and most have great triggers right out of the box.

Any of the Springfield Loaded Target models are also very nice, especially in stainless.

The Ruger is a great gun at the right price ($600 or so), but the two tone look has really started to turn me off lately. Especially after seeing the R1 stainless at about the same price. A very classy looking gun.

REV

+ 1 the little horsey rules.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
I have a Range officer and a newly aquired SR 1911 commander. I like them both , but the RO is of better quality ... as it shud be considering price. I have never owned a Colt 1911. I've handled a few ... both older and newer versions. From what I've seen Colt is NOT the Colt of yesterday. IMO ... my RO is of equal quality and will shoot with the newer Colts. AND for a lot less money. I stopped in a gun shop near Erie , Pa a few months back ... deals real heavy in Colts. I handled their new Single Action , New Frontier , I think ... For ( if my memory serves me right ) in the 1000 dollar range ... me thinks not. Sorry to offend the Colt gurus...but the quality just isn't there.

regards brushunter

revhigh

Hawkeye
brushunter said:
I have a Range officer and a newly aquired SR 1911 commander. I like them both , but the RO is of better quality ... as it shud be considering price. I have never owned a Colt 1911. I've handled a few ... both older and newer versions. From what I've seen Colt is NOT the Colt of yesterday. IMO ... my RO is of equal quality and will shoot with the newer Colts. AND for a lot less money. I stopped in a gun shop near Erie , Pa a few months back ... deals real heavy in Colts. I handled their new Single Action , New Frontier , I think ... For ( if my memory serves me right ) in the 1000 dollar range ... me thinks not. Sorry to offend the Colt gurus...but the quality just isn't there.

regards brushunter

We're talking about 1911's ....

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
brushunter said:
Yep , Ok then , Pick the Ruger , Colts are overpriced.

brushunter

especially if you can't afford one ...

no rational person would pick the Ruger over the Colt if they could afford both

REV

6gun

Hunter
brushunter said:

brushunter

Depends on where your buying the Ruger round here shops are wanting $799 that what I call over price, might as well go with a Colt for not much more, I can't afford either so it really don't matter I guess.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
brushunter said:

brushunter

especially if you can't afford one ...

no rational person would pick the Ruger over the Colt if they could afford both

REV

Nahhh , Don't think so. Why would a rational person buy a Colt when for very close to the same money you could buy a Les Baer ??? Truely its a matter of opinion ...To me , Colts are way over priced. Period ...My Opinion Only !

regards , brushunter

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Nothing wrong with a Colt. But they are not the best made 1911s. But they have the name, and that sells. That said, I don't think the SR1911s are perfect either. So to summarize: neither is the best; both are good; the Colt will hold it's value better in the long haul. Probably can't go wrong with either.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
6gun said:
brushunter said:

brushunter

Depends on where your buying the Ruger round here shops are wanting $799 that what I call over price, might as well go with a Colt for not much more, I can't afford either so it really don't matter I guess.

6Gun ,You have a good point. I wasn't considering the price differences through out the states. My Commander was purchased in W. Pa for $650 out the door , that included a 50 round box of 185 PMC Hollow points , and a nylon belt holster. ( el cheapo, but a holster ) At the lgs in Erie , they had Colt government style ( sorry I don't know the Colt models )with a price tag of $1050, blued edition. Maybe they would deal ... that would be plus tax and fees also.

regards , brushunter

revhigh

Hawkeye
brushunter said:
I have never owned a Colt 1911. I've handled a few ... both older and newer versions. From what I've seen Colt is NOT the Colt of yesterday. IMO ... my RO is of equal quality and will shoot with the newer Colts. AND for a lot less money.

regards brushunter

First ...Range officers are great guns. One of my favorite 1911's.

Next ... so .... you've never owned a Colt .... never shot a Colt .... yet you state that your RO will 'shoot with the newer Colts ... an interesting assumption given the fact that all you've ever done with a Colt 1911 is touch one in a store for a minute or two.

I wish I had the ability to determine a gun's reliability, build quality, and accuracy through osmosis, as you evidently do ... would have saved me a lot of money over the years. I own more than a dozen 1911's ... mostly Colts ... with a few Springfields and others mixed in, so I actually have tens of thousands of rounds of real experience with Colts, but I guess that can't compete with osmosis, guesswork, rumor, and conjecture.

REV

brushunter

Single-Sixer
Believe you over looked one thing ...I stated : "IMO". Guess I based that opinion on how the RO shoots. It shoots well ...very well.

Sorry , I still think the Range Officer will shoot with or better than any production 1911 out there. Thats my opinion ...and I have a right to it ... as you do yours. Your not that far away , lets get together and share our opinions over coffee ?

regards , brushunter

revhigh

Hawkeye
brushunter said:
Believe you over looked one thing ...I stated : "IMO". Guess I based that opinion on how the RO shoots. It shoots well ...very well.

Sorry , I still think the Range Officer will shoot with or better than any production 1911 out there. Thats my opinion ...and I have a right to it ... as you do yours. Your not that far away , lets get together and share our opinions over coffee ?

regards , brushunter

Sounds good ! You can shoot any of my Colts, and see what you think. As I said I absolutely LOVE the Range Officers. I'm guessing you'll be very impressed with the Gold Cups.

Unfortunately, as I'm in eastern Pa, I think we're about 6 hours away.

REV

brushunter

Single-Sixer
Rev , I would love to shot a Gold Cup...They were the standard everything else was compared to. The older Colts had that rich blue color. Doesn't sound like our meeting is to realistic though. I'm along I-80 between Erie and Pittsburgh. Depending on how far east you are ...yes indeed , a good 6 hours. Maybe in another lifetime :lol:

regards , brushunter