Spring Bear Hunt & a Near Miss

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
This is a 2 part story so bear with me as I'm posting both together. Some of you know that I have a spring bear tag in my pocket, one of my grandson's also got a tag & we have a spot that is loaded with bears. Here's the problem, I have one grandson who just recently turned 13 years old who didn't draw, he's been with us many times & seen more bears than most adults who've hunted them all their lives. He was really down when he didn't get a tag.
Idaho recently passed a law where a parent or a grandparent can legally transfer their tag to a son, daughter, grandson or granddaughter as long as they are under 18 years old. I've killed a lot of bears so I went to the Fish & Game office, turned in my tag & had it put in my grandson's name so now him & his 14 year old cousin will be side by side when we leave next week. They are real close pals & this will be a special hunt for all of us, I'll get to watch through the spotting scope as 2 young boys & their dads stalk bears!
This big canyon we hunt is ideal to be able to spot bears & watch as the hunt unfolds, plus a few hand signals can sometimes be helpful, I can't wait. Both of them are crack shots, having taken many rock chucks, a couple of bucks & a record book antelope. If all goes well you'll be seeing 2 young boys with a couple of dandy black bears on the ground in just a few days.
OK, now for the second story. Several times over the years I've warned of inexprienced hunters coming out west & getting in trouble in the Rocky Mountains because of weather. Most people think hunters die from exposure in Dec, Jan & Feb. Thats really not true, a person hunting in those months is usually prepared & pays attention, its the guys who show up in late spring, early summer or early fall wearing tennis shoes, Crocs, T shirts, shorts, no jacket, no rain gear, no matches & no plastic to get under to stay dry that get in real trouble & some of them pay the ultimate price.
Temps can change 40, even 50 degrees in certain situations & one small miscalculation can turn into a disaster in a matter of minutes. Twice I've found men miles from where they thought they were, scared, hungry, bone tired & not having any idea how to get back to where they needed to be, luckily after a little talking & reassurance they were able to make their way back to their own campsites. One had been in the same spot for over 3 days when I found him.
He was lucky enough to find a friends camp & was eating their food & sleeping in their tent but was too scared to leave the campsite, I showed him the way to walk out.
Anyway, just over a week ago a good friend of mine went bear hunting in the same area where we are going, I've known him for over 40 years, we've hunted hundreds of times together, including a 17 day backpack trip in Alaska many years ago, he's a veteran in the mountains, but he made a mistake.
He's had multiple back surgeries & has a terrible limp, he walks with a cane but still hunts & is probably the toughest man I've ever known. He killed a bull moose with my Harton 480.
Him & one of his son's were up on the mountain looking for bears & he started to get sick, they decided to return to their tent along the river. He had been taking a lot of pain medicine & he also told me he had taken part of a sleeping pill.
He woke up as near as he can remember about 10:30 at night, went out & got in the truck which was still hooked up to his trailer with the 4 wheelers in the back & started driving up the mountain.
After a couple of miles he jack knifed the truck & trailer & couldn't move so he got out & started climbing the mountain. He had NO clothers on, no shoes, socks, hat, gloves, nothing but his underwear & was walking in 2" of snow! He said he remembers climbing a long way up the mountain & said the brush was scraping his legs really bad. How he could do this bare footed, in the dark without his cane I'll never know.
After climbing for a long time he said he fell & started tumbling back down the mountain in the dark & he landed in water. He told me he could only remember bits & pieces of what took place he was so out of it from the pain medicine & probably hypothermia. He said it was pitch black but he knelt down & started praying & he was asking for help. I had tears running down my face. He said he crawled under a large pine tree & tried to curl up but was too cold & so he tried to climb the mountain again.
By then he figured it was around 3am, he had been out in the snow & cold at 7,000 elevation for 4-5 hrs. bare footed.
Finally he reached the top of the ridge line & could just barely make out a large meadow, he said he just wandered around & could make out some 4 wheeler trails going in different directions in the snow but couldn't make sense of which way to go. A couple more hours pass & he said he heard a voice & turned & it was Ben, his son yelling at him.
Ben got him down to the truck but the trailer & 4 wheeler had to be left behind, they drove into the nearest town & hired a tow truck to go get it for them while they headed to the hospital.
He has severe frost bite & they have been putting him inside some kind of pressurized tank for over a week now, some of you will know what I'm talking about.
As of tonight he's still in the hospital & still kind of out of his head, he may lose some toe's but he's probably going to make it, his son is headed back to get the trailer. Mother Nature can be brutal, I almost lost a very dear friend who's as experienced as anyone I know. The pain medicine did something that effected his mind & decision making & he was very lucky to survive.

Dick

Joe S.

Hunter
Dang man
That really is sad. Medicine can really do crazy things to some people. Know of a few people who have pretty much gone crazy due to bad reactions from meds. Hopefully he will be ok and they can get him on something that wont affect him like that.

As for the hunt, i hope it goes well for your grandsons and i hope they both fill the tags!

Hi I am very happy for part one of your story I would give up a tag for a young hunter any day I love to hunt but get a rush to watch a young hunter get excited taking a game animal I guess it brings back the excitement for me Part two bad memories come to mind I came across a lost hunter in the north maine woods he was terrified he came running through 2 feet of water for a few hundred yards thinking I would leave him I cant imagine being on meds and disorientated thank god it turned out good Thanks for the story some lessons to be learned here

Gramps

sixshot

Buckeye
Gramps, the second guy I found I was riding my 4 wheeler into my own camp with one of my son's & saw a guy running towards us, he was waving his arms & yelling. We thought it was Tom, the guy who owned the camp but it was some guy that had been lost for several days & was really out of his head. He was an adult but had done some really dumb things for the 3 days he had been there.
As we talked a while & got him calmed down I found out he was from Pocatello, Idaho & worked for the railroad & had got seperated from 2 friends while bowhunting along the Idaho/Wyoming border. We found out later that a search & rescue group had been looking for him but they were much too far to the east to find him. Anyway after calming him down I gave him very good instructions on how to walk to the highway & catch a ride & told him if he got nervous to just turn around & come back to Tom's camp & we would take him out later that evening.
We swapped phone numbers, this was long before cell phones & me & my son left & went to my camp. Along every trail leading away from Tom's camp this guy had stopped & carved his name & the date in trees & carved a message saying he was lost, that takes time, he probably did that in 6-7 different trees over the 3 days but he was too scared to leave that camp.
A few days later I called to check on him, his wife answered the phone but he wouldn't talk to me, he was too embarassed, she told me he was ok & thanks & that was it!

Dick

Don Lovel

Hunter
We see altitude sickness make people do some dumb decision making. And if you add some hypothermia on to that, yeah, odds are you will die in the wrong place.
I just had a discussion about the clothes that go into our "always dry and ready" bags. Wool socks, thermals, polar fleece, dry gloves, and such, that get sealed up and put into the bottom of our packs, just in case. Always in there, fire making materials, some munchies, water filtration drinking straw, spare knife and small flashlight in the pockets of the clothes. I have been cold, wet, tired, running out of light and a real long walk from the truck tracking a buck with an arrow in him. When you get the opportunity to get into that dry gear, man it sure is welcome.

I hope to hear the conclusion of your grandson's hunt. You did well! A timely update to our outdoor lore. Hypothermia can and does rear its ugly head due to our negligence. Pain meds, sleeping pills ( Ambien/zolpidem can make you sleep walk), throw in altitude sickness. Wow, your friend is very lucky( miracles/ prayer do happen) to be alive. They are using hyperbaric treatments on your friend to increase tissue oxygenation, and decrease tissue death/loss. I wish your friend well.
gramps

pete44ru

Hunter

I feel your pain.........................

One of the hardest things, I ever had to do, was to refuse to take my best friend (for over 50 years) on our annual Maine deer hunt.

The last trip he made, we came back to our wilderness cabin/camp for lunch, only to find him on the floor, incoherent - the ER doctors told us that he would have died in another 15mins (or so), if we hadn't rushed him to a hospital for medical attention.

He was a long-time diabetic, who underwent kidney dialysis for several years before he got a kidney transplant, a heart attack, diabetes-caused semi-blindness, and was constantly falling/tripping because he lost several toes to diabetes. (he never did get his blood sugar under control).

He finally passed away in January, after falling in the bathtub (he was alone) & breaking some ribs.