Spent Some Time With The Stones

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I was supposed to shoot a Steel Challenge match today but the weather was too bad and thinking the match would be cancelled I pulled out. I don't mind shooting in the rain but I had rolling around in my wheelchair when the dirt, filled with potholes, gets wet.

So, cold rainy day with nothing to do I took out my newest build and went to work on the trigger. It has a 6.5 pound trigger so following the book Build A Custom 10/22 Step By Step by Amilcar Hernandez I took out my set of stones and went at it.

I have a Power Custom Trigger Kit on the way, ordered the KIDD but it won't work in the aluminum housing, so I went with Powers that advertises 1.5 to 2.5 #s.

I thought I could bring my poundage down a bit with stoning and polishing and worked on it for a couple of hours. Testing with my Lyman Digital Scale I got it down to 4 pound. Disappointed, I put the rifle away and while having lunch I decided to give it another try.

Second attempt and I went from 4 pounds to 4.5 pounds. Then I decided to go one step at a time and worked on the hammer first, the sear followed by the disconnect . It took a little longer but I finally got the trigger pull down to 3 pounds exactly.

Now that's where I stopped. My Powers trigger should be here Thursday and I'll install it. With all the practice I've had it should take me about 10 minutes to complete the upgrade and I will be happy with this rifle.

Then I can work on rifle #2 again.

Attachments

• Glenn's rifle.jpeg
    Glenn's rifle.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 29

contender

Ruger Guru
A proper smoothing of the mating surfaces in a guns action is always good as long as it's done w/o changing any angles. And most often,, really helps the feel & pull weight.
Kudos!

Dan in MI

Staff member
To a point I'm usually not so concerned with weight as I am with a clean break.

I've said this before. I have often been just pulling away watching my sights until it got to the point I KNOW I am pulling way too hard and realize the safety was on, or some other similar cause for the shot to never break.