Speed six question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The .380 is smaller in case / rim dia by about .020 (.374 on .380 vs .392 on 9mm ) The groove dims are probably similarly different. Rim thicknesses are .045 for .380 and .050 for 9mm so a .005 diff in headspace

Will .380 cases work in 9mm moon clips?

I'm not going to tell anyone that they can or can't do something but here is what I found. I took out my 9mm Speed Six and one of the moon clips. The .380 would go into the moon clip with light finger pressure and came out very easily also. Since the bullet diameters are the same, if the bullet gets into the barrel, it should come out. That said, would I do it? Nope, I don't take chances with ammo that has different dimensions. There is nothing stopping someone from doing it but maybe a little common sense.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Are not cylinders made as to insure rimless ammo head spaces in the cylinder? Like an old model Blackhawk in 45 colt has a different cylinder than same gun but X giving a second cylinder for 45 ACP (rimless and shorter) and Blackhawks .357/9mm two different cylinders as far as chambers are concerned. Where do 9mm Scty Six guns headspace? Like Blackshawks inside chambers of cylinders? Do the half moon clips determine head spacing on guns made for them?

yes. the standard convertibles of the Blackhawks in 45 or 9mm the auto shells headspace on the mouth of the case thats why they tell reloaders NOT to heavy rollcrimp, may allow the 'acp' shell to move forward, misfire.............the double action guns are st up for the use of moon clips or like some very early Ruger and S&W they tried "tricky" extractor setups and springs and wires,,,none really worked,,,,,,duh
bottom line use the ammo the gun was designed for,,,,,all too many "try" and most of it becomes "internet lore":rolleyes:

kean57

Single-Sixer
Don't know why this came to my head but I was wondering if you can shoot 380 ammo on moon clips in a Speed six chambered in 9mm. Seems that it would work but I don't know. I have a few boxes of 380 that I could shoot up if it's safe to do so....
If you enjoy searching for things at gun shows, you might want to look for a round called "9mm Federal". It is literally a 9mm Parabellum-dimensioned cartridge with a rim, so that you can use it in 9mm revolvers without moon clips. As far as I know, only Federal made rounds for this caliber. It's basically the 9mm equivalent of the .45 Auto Rim.

Have gun-will travel

Single-Sixer
I called Ruger customer service this morning and asked the question. Can you shoot , plus P 9mm ammo in the 9mm Speed six. He said he didn't know and could not find anything on it
So my question to you 9 mm speed six owners ,Have y'all shot only plus P in yours?
I guess he could not find info because they didn't make plus P ammo when the revolver was made.

hittman

Staff member
I wouldn't have any reservations about shooting +P ammo in mine but the bigger question (to me) always is ….. WHY?

The cylinders in the Security Six, Police Service Six and the Speed Six are the same dimensions. The cylinder chambers are just bored differently for the respective ammo to be used so shooting +P shouldn't be a problem.

Now as to why, people will probably give an arms length list of whys but I agree, WHY? The Six series has been out of production since 1988. If someone buys one now, how do they know (unless it is sold as new in box) what stresses/abuse it has undergone? Personally, I would trust a Speed Six 9mm to handle +P but would I shoot it? No, I have no need to.

Now, to play devils advocate, on the other hand, if a Speed Six 9mm is the ONLY gun I have, and I carry it daily, and I'm going somwhere, for whatever reason, and the area is not the most safe area, would I load it with +P's? Oh heck yeah, in bad places I want as much firepower as possible to help get my a@@ out of a jamb if need be.:)

Have gun-will travel

Single-Sixer
I go to Henderson,NC a lot. It's the closest town to me. Lots of shootings there.
I work in Durham,NC What a 💩 hole. So yes there an average of 2 shootings a day. So I want to have best ammo I have in the gunI have a good supply of plus P 9mm LE ammo. So why not load it up. I love revolvers and I love the speed Six and have a great holster for it. It's my new edc. Pill bottle in console with 3 loaded moon clips.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I never shoot Plus + anything. Never a need. If I really thought I needed more power, I would choose a different caliber like a .40 or 357 SIG etc. I have used 9mm my entire life, long before it was popular. It works just fine. There are a ton of stats to back it up.

Have gun-will travel

Single-Sixer
I never shoot Plus + anything. Never a need. If I really thought I needed more power, I would choose a different caliber like a .40 or 357 SIG etc. I have used 9mm my entire life, long before it was popular. It works just fine. There are a ton of stats to back it up.
If it wasn't needed then why do Police departments issue them

Snake Pleskin

Banned
If it wasn't needed then why do Police departments issue them
Police depts used to issue .357 magnum too. So? You actually think because Police do it, that makes it good? LOL! Plus P+ ammo creates more flash, noise & recoil in a short barreled revolver that far outweighs any increase in power in a pistol. It also makes it harder to make good hits. Most Police are not known for their shooting skills! It is also much harder on the equipment.