SP101 Trijicon or Meprolight?!?!? Pics Please!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jgalanti

Bearcat
I have a SP101 and am looking to change the front sight. I keep hearing mixed reviews on the front sight replacements. The Meprolight seems to slope in the opposite direction of the original sight and the Trijicon, but yet gets the best reviews from what I see.

Please post some pics of your SP101 with either of these sights installed and what you think?

jgalanti

Bearcat
Thanks! I hadn't even considered that one until now. How do you like it? Any issues getting caught on clothing?

jdmb03

Bearcat
I'm from Michigan so I would have to say Trijicon. I also had a SP with a Trijicon sight and it worked well.

mudsnake

Bearcat
Just ordered the Trijicon for my SP, but dang, have to wait 4 weeks to get it! Hope it glows nice.

nicktulloh

Bearcat
I just received my SP101 sight back from Trijicon saying it's ok. I had returned it because there is absolutely no, as in zero, glow in the dark. Nothing.

It is still absolutely black in the dark.

I've emailed them again (this has been going on for a couple of months) to ask if they even looked at it in the dark.

I've had two Trijicon night sights on Glocks so I know what they're supposed to look like. This is just a blank.

So far I am totally and absolutely unimpressed with Trijicon customer service.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I have a trijicon in my parts bin for a SP101 it was "SO TINY" that you couldn't hardly see it, It did glow in the dark but was barely visable..
I went with the fiber optic site from Marc Morganti @ Gemini Customs..
His sites are great & install fairly easily, The sight picture is great & being it's the same height as the factory with no sharp edges etc is great for carry & no holster issues either..

dipper

Bearcat
I like the trijicon on my SP. The one I used IS NOT the one they sell for the SP, it is one they sell for a different model but it has the same profile for barrel fitment and is the same height.... fits perfect. I looked at the one "made" for the SP 101 and new this one would be better.
It shoots to POA.

It glows nice in the dark: better than in the picture.

nicktulloh

Bearcat
The SP101 sight diesn't come with the external circle. I wonder how much of the problem comes from that.

In your second picture, the sight looks tilted forward. Did you do that on purpose or is it just the photo? What is that sight made for? Does it snag at all?

dipper

Bearcat
nicktulloh":8sgivlgx said:
The SP101 sight diesn't come with the external circle. I wonder how much of the problem comes from that.

Don't know what you mean " doesn't come with an external circle??
The sight pictured is very close to the Ruger factory sights in all regards.

nicktulloh":8sgivlgx said:
In your second picture, the sight looks tilted forward. Did you do that on purpose or is it just the photo? What is that sight made for? Does it snag at all?

It's not tilted forward ... it sets flush with the barrel just like the factory sight... It may be the picture.... the sight is TAPERED ... higher in the front towards the trigger... lower in the back towards the muzzle.. but the sight is not tilted.
The sight is made for another Ruger pistol... I would have to look in my papers, it's been awhile since I installed it.
It doesn't snag at all.... it is no higher than the factory SP sight... it's the 3 inch model and I carry it in a simply rugged holster.

It glows very well in the dark.

bkhann

Bearcat
On my SP101 I had my gunsmith machine a slot into the front sight and glue a bright orange plastic insert into that slot. Works quite well, much like the Gemini sight.

On my XDm I have the Trijocon and have found the sights are not visible unless it is pitch black; in low light situations, they are useless.

What I did on my SP101 is install a Crimson Trace Laser. Now, in bright light situations, I use the iron sights, and in low light situations I use the laser. Truely the best of both worlds.

I might also suggest that when you use the laser, look over the gun, directly at the target. Of course, for iron sight, look through the sights. This, if practiced, creates 2 different sets of muscle memory, thus you pecome quite accurate a proficient using either method.

J. D. Moreguns

Bearcat
Good luck getting the TRIJICON front sight from TRIJICON I have had one on order since Jan. 2 2010 has not been shipped yet.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I have the Trijicon made for the SP-101. (it does not have the white cicle around the glowing dot). It is the smallest dot of any of the tritium sights available. I found it adaquate but not overly bright. There are probably brighter choices.