SP 327 vs SP 357 (with 38+P)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

writwing

Single-Sixer
I am convinced that the 327 equals the 38+P ballistics. I am intrigued by so many that love the 327(and 32s) vs those that carry a 38. Which of these two has the lesser recoil? Is the 327 that much louder?

s4s4u

Hunter
Is the 327 that much louder?

It is all relative. I liken it to piano strings, the smaller the string the higher the pitch and the louder it sounds to the ear. I will take a 5 shot 44 special over either of them.

41manor44

Single-Sixer
Nothing wrong with the 38+P but I don't own a 38 and do own a 327. I like my 327 and recoil is more straight back in the hand rather than a muzzle rise. Since it operates are higher pressures than the 357 I would have to say it's between the 38 and the 357 and I have found the 32 to be a very accurate round.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
I have an SP-101 in 327 and I think that full performance 327 ammo recoils a bit more than .38+P. That being said you can also run reduced recoil 327 (85 grain) ammo, 32 H&R Mag, 32 S&W Long, and 32 S&W. The last two are very soft recoiling in the SP-101.

For a new shooter I introduced recently to the SP101 I started with 32 S&W Long, stepped up to 32 H&R, and finished with 85 Grain .327. The shooter liked the 32 H&R round best but found the 327 to be manageable.

You can't beat guns chambered in 327 for versatility! The full power 327 rounds are loud due to the high pressure but I'm not sure why that would be very important as .38 rounds aren't exactly quiet.

Cordite

Nowata

Single-Sixer
Not a 327 shooter...but med. and full house 357's are louder(to my muffed ears) than .44sp. and .44mag. loads. Please wear ear condoms(haha).

ThundarStick

Bearcat
I have all 3 Ruger models, a 632 S&W and 2 inch Taurus in 327 Fed. In the smaller guns the round does indeed have about the same recoil as a standard 38sp, a little less than 38+P, depending on the loading, and this is just my perception. I think the noise is blown out of perportion as well, no where as loud as a 357 or most +P rounds. The most unconfortable (to my ears) is my NA Black Widow 22 mag. It seems like someone is trying to stab an ice pick into my ear, through the plugs!
When I go to the GP100 and Blackhawk the round is so mild it's amost like shooting a 22mag pistol. The sound is still there, but the recoil is just deadened by the weight of the larger revolvers.
The GP is my cary with Mepro Light sights, Eagle secret service grips, 115 gr Gold Dots and 5 star speed loaders. LOVE this gun! :mrgreen: The 632 goes with me when I need to bury the pice a little deeper and the SP101 is the wifes cary pick! :twisted:

writwing

Single-Sixer
ThundarStick said:
I have all 3 Ruger models, a 632 S&W and 2 inch Taurus in 327 Fed. In the smaller guns the round does indeed have about the same recoil as a standard 38sp, a little less than 38+P, depending on the loading, and this is just my perception. I think the noise is blown out of perportion as well, no where as loud as a 357 or most +P rounds. The most unconfortable (to my ears) is my NA Black Widow 22 mag. It seems like someone is trying to stab an ice pick into my ear, through the plugs!
When I go to the GP100 and Blackhawk the round is so mild it's amost like shooting a 22mag pistol. The sound is still there, but the recoil is just deadened by the weight of the larger revolvers.
The GP is my cary with Mepro Light sights, Eagle secret service grips, 115 gr Gold Dots and 5 star speed loaders. LOVE this gun! :mrgreen: The 632 goes with me when I need to bury the pice a little deeper and the SP101 is the wifes cary pick! :twisted:

Thanks a lot for your comments, very helpful. May I ask what state you carry the GP?

dlhredfoxx

Single-Sixer
.32 H&R mag all day long... if you like medium bores that is... carry a 45 colt and call it a day... all the gun you'll ever need. :)

Ps- I love the 32 H&R mag... tack driver and easy on the hand.

dougader

Hunter
I'm a fan of the 32's, and I do carry the 327 Federal mag sometimes, well, nearly every day. And I carry the 32 H&R mag, too, but more as a back-up to a Glock 26 9mm. But the velocity I get out of a SP101 across the chrony is 1315 fps for the Speer 115 gdhp and 1410 for the 100 grain Federal jsp. Even so, those are really good numbers. If you just look at muzzle energy figures, the 327 Fed blows the 38 out of the water... and, according to the American Rifleman article, comes darn close to 357 mag 125 grain jhp ME figures.

Of course, ME figures aren't everything either but I certainly don't feel undergunned with a 327 FM as a personal protection round.

Velocity is nothing without a good bullet, and I find that Speer gdhp an excellent slug.

I would have to sit down and shoot them all side-by-side to be sure, but from my memory I think the 38 Special +P kicks more from a S&W 642 than the 327 Fed from a SP101.

ThundarStick

Bearcat
May I ask what state you carry the GP?

Tennessee!

I know it may be apples and oranges, but my 100gr lead cast load smacks down steel poppers just as hard as any 9mm at the range! I have always loved the 32s and the 327 is the the cream of the bore for self defence. :)

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I'm a big fan of the .32 H&R magnum. In a gun of that size I would take it over a .38 or .357 any day. I'm currently working on a 115 grain load for it.