Something I never have seen before

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vito

Hunter
I'm not a fanatical bird watcher, but I enjoy watching their activities at or near the several bird feeders that I have. And today I saw something that never before have I witnessed in my 78 years. A female sparrow was standing on the railing of my deck, and a larger male came by and jumped on to the back of the female. After a second or two he hopped off, only to hop back on, and this repeated several times. I had never before seen two birds having sex. After several of these encounters, I guess the deed was done because he hopped off and the female took flight. Just one of those things that made me realize that although I've been around sparrows my entire life, I had never seen this. Sort of like spotting a baby pidgeon.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
Funny thing I just bought my self a field guide for north American Birds.
Already becoming a pro. Never seen the deed done tho. lol!

caryc

Hawkeye
I have water pans for the birds right outside my glass doors. I see this kind of thing all the time with the doves that frequent my water supply. Lots of this action in the last two weeks or so and still going on. At first I thought they were fighting but then I realized what it was. It always involves the smaller females and the larger males.

contender

Ruger Guru
There are all kinds of life's little things we know happen,, yet never witness. Until we actually take the time to study & watch. And even then,, we may never see such things.

Blume,,, baby coons in a wall,, been there,, done that! Sadly,, I don't know enough about SC laws to offer assistance from a legal standpoint. (Meaning,, I don't know if I can legally go to SC & work like that.)
But,, for a critter to get in between walls,, there has to be an opening big enough SOMEWHERE for that to happen.
Top plate, wiring hole, some form of man made orifice, or a critter induced hole.

Depending upon the wall construction,, (sheet rock, paneling, wood, etc,) it may be easy or very hard.
A stethoscope can help pinpoint the location of a critter. Then usually a hole is cut in the wall big enough to pull whatever out. NOT a pretty job.
All of this is based upon limited details,, but from experience of past jobs.

I really question HOW a coon, even a baby coon, can get in between walls. Wiring holes are usually 1" or less,, while top plate holes usually require (by code) sealant to prevent fire drafts.
Most common critters IN walls are usually mice or flying squirrels.

173rdLRRP

Single-Sixer
Our daughter has two male and two female ducks. Duck sex is godawful. Two makes on one female or each other while the poor female head is held underwater

chm270

Single-Sixer
Our daughter has two male and two female ducks. Duck sex is godawful. Two makes on one female or each other while the poor female head is held underwater
I saw 4 male ducks attacking a female by the river a couple of years ago.
They were relentless!!

I watch numerous 'bird' links. Eagles, Peregrine falcon, Osprey, and Great blue heron. Get to see mating regularly. Today I watched five Canada goslings jump from their nest (an abandoned eagle nest) to the ground. Our feathered friends can be interesting.

173rdLRRP

Single-Sixer
I watch numerous 'bird' links. Eagles, Peregrine falcon, Osprey, and Great blue heron. Get to see mating regularly. Today I watched five Canada goslings jump from their nest (an abandoned eagle nest) to the ground. Our feathered friends can be interesting.
Do not annoy Canadian Geese around their nests or goslings and they will not annoy you. If you do not heed this advice, the Cobra Chickens will chastise you.

Goes triple for Swans since they can weigh over 30 pounds.

173rdLRRP

Single-Sixer
Well St George slayed a Dragon, Daenery In Game of Thrones rode a dragon but Donkey in “Shrek” went where do other donkey ever dared go before.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
A hundred years ago my view of a birdwatcher was a knobby kneed old guy in short khakis, pith helmet and binoculars around his neck, and if you'd have called me a birdwatcher, I'd probably have fought you. But then Nita and I got into bird watching and even planned vacations to take us to wildlife management areas. Good 10 x 50 binoculars and decent camera are necessary.

Here a flock f snipe at Reelfoot Lake, TN:

A great egret at Hatchie National Wildlife Management Area, West Tennessee:

Barred owl, Reelfoot Lake NWR, Tennessee:

Green jay, Aransas NWR, Texas:

Bob Wright

173rdLRRP

Single-Sixer
Wife and I have been bird watching for a number of years. We full time RVed for 14 years and it was a great adjustment to our travels (Alaska, Labrador, Newfoundland, to Yucatán 12 times or so, and Guatemala/Honduras once). Elaine got me a good spotting scope when we retired and it traveled with us

We traveled 12 weeks in Guatemala and Honduras by bus on one trip,
and 5 weeks in Costa Rica on another. He real bucket list included Macchu Picchu and the Galapagos. We planned 8 weeks and stayed 12. Managed a week in Amazonia after Galapagos, bused to Peru from Loja, flew to Cuzco, and bused about for a number of weeks. Managed to see Andean Condir and Giant H Ming it’d the same day.

Latest posts