Some Winter reading

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FS: used books on various topics: Western and US History, Native American history, various "Outdoor Adventures" from exploration to ranching, and WWII eyewitness histories.

How it works: to order/reserve a book or books, put an "I'll take book(s) #s____" as a reply to this thread. You can't order by PM only; use PMs for questions and comments--I'll try to answer them quickly. I will respond to your order with a reply acknowledging it, mark the books "SPF" in this ad so nobody else will order them by mistake, and then send you a PM with my "legal" (first) name and address for payment.

ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS ZIP CODES!

I accept cash, personal checks made out to me, and all MOs for payment. I DON'T ACCEPT PayPal, credit cards, or any alternate payment system like ApplePay.

Take $1 off the price of any book or books you order after the first one! (I save a little on postage with multiple book orders).

Western/US History titles

1) SPF "The Ohio Frontier: Crucible of the Old Northwest, 1720-1830" by R. Douglas Hunt.

2) SPF "Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West" by Stephen Ambrose.

3) SPF "The Winter at Valley Forge: Survival and Victory" by James E. Knight.

4) SPF " Gray Ghosts and Rebel Raiders: The Daring Exploits of the Confederate Guerrillas" by Virgil Carrington Jones with a Foreword by Bruce Catton.

5) SPF "John Paul Jones: A Sailor's Biography" by Samuel Eliot Morrison.

6) SPF "The Path Between the Seas: the Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914" by David McCullough.

7) "The Frozen Water Trade: A True Story" by Gavin Weightman. Ice is still a commodity, but hardly a luxury. Once it was both. This is the history of an American industry that literally "capitalized" on the bad weather of the North AND the South! The details of "harvesting" and shipping ice to tropical markets by sailing ship. Fortunes were made! HB 270 pp new cond. illus w/b/w photos, drawings of the technology of ice harvesting, and maps. $6

Native American titles

8) SPF "Native American Weapons" by Colin E. Taylor.

9) "Three Native American Women: Pocahontas, Sacajawea, Sarah Winnemucca" by Grace Steele, Woodward, Harold Howard, and Gae Whitney Canfield. Three biographies of native women who were important forces in American history: two are well recognized but not well understood, the third was a respected mediator and tribal leader in the vicious and mainly forgotten "Bannock Wars." HB 730 pp. exc/new cond. illus w/b/w and color photos, maps. $7

10) SPF "The Education of Little Tree" by Forrest Carter.

WWII eyewitness histories

11) SPF "War As I Knew It" by Gen George Patton, Jr.

12) SPF "C/O Post master" by Corp. Thomas R. St. George.

13) SPF "The Road Back to Paris" by A.J. Leibling.

14) SPF"The Jungle is Neutral" by F. Spencer Chapman, DSO.

15) SPF "Sea of Thunder: Four Commanders and the Last Great Naval Campaign, 1941-45" by Evan Thomas.

"Outdoor Adventures"

16) SPF "African Silences" by Peter Matthiesen.

17) SPF "Gray's Sporting Journal: the Big Game Edition Sept/Oct. 2016"

18) "The Perfect Storm: A True Story of Man Against the Sea" by Sebastian Junger. Pulitzer-winning war correspondent's account of the loss of a sword fishing boat in a "perfect " 120-mph tempest off New England in 1991. Civilian and USCG heroism, and tragedy in spite of the best men can do. Basis of the movie by the same name. PB 246 pp. exc/new cond. illus w/b/w photos. $5

19) "The Education of a Wandering Man" by Louis L'Amour.

20) "Winterdance: the Fine Madness of Running the Iditerod" by Gary Paulson. Prize-winning "young adult" writer's very adult book on running the 1180-mile Alaskan dogsled race! Quality PB 260 pp. in exc. cond. illus w/map, color photos. $5

21) SPF "Badluck Way: A Year on the Ragged Edge of the West" by Bryce Andrews.

22) SPF "The Spell of the Tiger: The Man-Eaters of the Sunderbans" by Sy Montgomery.

23) SPF "Bugles and a Tiger" by John Masters.

24) SPF "The Man From the Cave" by Colin Fletcher.

Thanks for reading my (usual) long posting! DON'T FORGET TO TAKE $1 OFF THE PRICE OF ANY BOOK OR BOOKS YOU ORDER AFTER THE FIRST ONE!

Mike Armstrong

Books #s 4, 13, and 24 SPF to Deer Hunter

#s 2, 3, 21 SPF to browning collector

#s 15, 19, and 23 SPF to jdoc

Thanks for buying, guys! PMs to all of you soon.