Some call 'em junk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
But these two have served me well during one heckuva lot of shooting using both factory and reloads . What more can one ask for :)

Picture342.jpg

bub

Single-Sixer
Nice looking revolvers. Say what you want about Taurus's QC (or lack thereof sometimes), their guns sure do look good.

More years ago than I care to count, as a young Policeman, I needed a backup gun, but had no $$$. I found a stainless Taurus M85CH (Concealed Hammer, which was actually a standard hammer with the spur lopped off from the factory) in a local shop for not much money. CONSIDERABLY less than even a used S&W snubbie. Story was that a local Policeman had bought it a few years before as a backup when he was just starting out and didn't have any cash for a S&W, same situation I was in. When he had money, he supposedly had traded the Taurus in on an S&W at that shop. Looked good, had been shot some but not abused, so I bought it.

The thing shot VERY WELL and I NEVER had any trouble with it, aside from a real gritty trigger. Tore it apart, did a little stoning to the innards and put in a Wolfe spring pack and proceeded to shoot the SNOT out of it for several years.

A few years later, I had cash, so I bought a S&W M649 Bodyguard, which had just come out in .357. Not long after, I was working with another new Policeman who, like me, wanted a backup gun but had no $$$. I sold the Taurus to him on payments and he carried it for several years, again without any trouble at all. Last I spoke to him, he had bought a Mini Glock and sold the Taurus to yet another young Policeman for a backup gun.

While I have never had any experience with Taurus's autos, I have shot several of their revolvers besides my M85 and have read about a lot more. Their revolvers seem good to go, their autos, not so much. Shoot them and enjoy them!

Bub

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
There is a nice looking pair indeed. I too shoot S&W & Taurus.
They are fun to shoot, & both of mine look almost the same with 6" barrels.

Thanks for sharing your passion with us.....

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
I have both first and second hand knowlege of a Taurus Mod 10 Bull Barrel knock off failing to fire at the critical moment. Armed robbery and attempted murder in a bar. This was in 1970/71. I was the clerk that sold the Taurus to the bar owner. I also was involved with extensive testing of the revolver post incident.

I know a lot of water has gone under that dam but I will not, by choice, own or shoot a Taurus handgun.

BearBio

Buckeye
My wife had a Taurus 85CH. Would fail to cycle sometimes-too unreliable to depend on. Traded it off for a S & W when we moved to WA and got CCW.

On the other hand, have a Raging Bull in 454 and have nothing but praise for it.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
bub said:
While I have never had any experience with Taurus's autos, I have shot several of their revolvers besides my M85 and have read about a lot more. Their revolvers seem good to go, their autos, not so much. Shoot them and enjoy them!

Not to be contradictory..... buy my experience has been the exact opposite. I have a Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP and a PT101 .40 S&W. But guns have shot very well out of the box. The PT1911 really impressed me with its accuracy. Have had it 2 years now with no FTFeed or Fire, no jams. The PT101, had a minor issue in the first 50 rounds but polishing the feed ramp fixed that.

On the other hand, had a Taurus 94 .22 LR.... talk about junk! I never could get it to go thru a whole cylinder without some kind of problem. Sent it back to Taurus, got it back and it was only marginally better. I sold it. Don't miss it at all.

gunman42782

Hunter
I am not calling anybody's guns junk. But, I have worked in a gun shop for over two years now. We get back more Taurus guns than any other. Have seen Judges that the cylinder would come off, seen a .22 Mag revolver that the extractor wouldn't extract, and the polymer framed autos come back frequently as well. I think Taurus has let their quality control slip in order to put out more and more guns.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Maybe. I recently handled a new 94 22LR in a store and it wouldn't lock up, with the trigger pulled and hammer down, the cylinder would (very easily) turn with two-finger pressure. The counter guy looked amazed. Then took it and put it back in the display case!

But I have owned a SS 85 that is as tight and right as any M60 ever made by S&W. It has seen lots of practice and has been fired in anger, seen the inside of an evidence locker, and been held up to the jury in a courtroom of my "peers". We still keep it handy and loaded (+P Nyclad 158's if you're counting).

I have a blued 99 auto I bought in 1987 and it still shoots tight. With the frame-mounted safety I prefer it over the Beretta for my paws.

I've had a few other brand T revolvers and cannot recall a problem except for a 6" blued 66 357Magnum that had excessive gap - took about $5 and 15 minutes to correct. It has shot well and hunted for many years.

Faulty is as faulty buys. Just do your diligence before whipping out your cash and you'll do well with Taurus 98% of the time, as with any gun purchase.

Just my experience, of course.

I have probably owned 10 or so Taurus firearms over the years. The first two were the best. A Model 85CH and a Model 66, 357. Both were reliable, accurate, trouble free revolvers. Later I bought a PT1911 45ACP and it was the most accurate 1911 I had owned up to that point. It was very reliable and wished I still had it.

The others on the other hand were JUNK!

So, that being said, only about 30% of the Taurus's I have owned were good........

Draw your own conclusions, I have.........

Dave

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
HELLO FROM A FELLOW JUNK COLLECTOR

Used to carry a 85 for years, and I loved the lil thing. For some reason every time I pulled the trigger the darn gun would fire. Had a wonderful lil Bersa .380 that would do the same thing. Imagine that. :lol:

A.W.