Smoking Brisket Today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
8,317
Location
Dallas, TX
Every Spring, as the weather gets nicer, I question myself why I don't have one of those wiz bang heavy duty offset smokers / grills. The kind made here in Texas. I look at them and even go over to the BBQ forum https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/ and read about them and look at the pictures those guys post about their grills. A couple years ago, in the Springtime, I even went out and bought an electric smoker...I know, I know...It didn't stay in my house very long. I took it down to the Salvation Army after a couple poor attempts. What a joke.

And then I go out back to my little Weber Smokey Mountain. Today I'm cooking brisket and turkey.

This thing is a masterpiece. No matter what, it will hold 225 for 8 hours solid. True, it runs on charcoal, but I add wood chips and chunks. I get that thin blue smoke you need for a good cook, mostly using Apple wood. I've figured out both brisket and turkey, I wouldn't say mastered, but I understand them better.

Anyway, I still look at the nice smokers, but don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon. They seem to have gone up in price a lot. I only look at them once or twice a year...

I hope everyone is eating well.

My Smoker:
lPaqGgel.jpg
 
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
8,317
Location
Dallas, TX
Pretty much the standard recipe for brisket down here in Texas is Salt and Pepper.

I did the same for the turkey, it was just a turkey breast and after 3 hours we made some delicious sandwiches for lunch.

Are there are good BBQ joints up in NH?

Oh, and the filter is Photoshop.
 

m657

Buckeye
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
1,417
Location
sunny Orygun territory
I've got a large Weber Performer(?) which is otherwise wonderful, yet I have yet to be able to get a long enough 225 for brisket. My last (of 3) attempts actually made it to the 'almost edible' stage.

Glad to hear of your success!!!
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2003
Messages
5,743
Location
Richmond Texas USA
Kevin,
That is not a smoker unless you are from NYC. :D This is a Texas smoker/pit with gas assist, a griddle and a grilling rack :D :D





Now if you are going to do SMASH burgers you have to have a griddle. This does a great job for all kinds of stuff and has a side burner/deep fryer.





Kevin Just pushing your leg. Keep the smoke a going it's all good :D
 

powder smoke

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
7,408
Location
Milo Maine
Kevin said:
Every Spring, as the weather gets nicer, I question myself why I don't have one of those wiz bang heavy duty offset smokers / grills. The kind made here in Texas. I look at them and even go over to the BBQ forum https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/ and read about them and look at the pictures those guys post about their grills. A couple years ago, in the Springtime, I even went out and bought an electric smoker...I know, I know...It didn't stay in my house very long. I took it down to the Salvation Army after a couple poor attempts. What a joke.

And then I go out back to my little Weber Smokey Mountain. Today I'm cooking brisket and turkey.

This thing is a masterpiece. No matter what, it will hold 225 for 8 hours solid. True, it runs on charcoal, but I add wood chips and chunks. I get that thin blue smoke you need for a good cook, mostly using Apple wood. I've figured out both brisket and turkey, I wouldn't say mastered, but I understand them better.

Anyway, I still look at the nice smokers, but don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon. They seem to have gone up in price a lot. I only look at them once or twice a year...

I hope everyone is eating well.

My Smoker:
lPaqGgel.jpg

Ya baby I can almost smell it. ps
 
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
8,317
Location
Dallas, TX
Jim:
That is an awesome smoker. How much wood do you use to smoke a brisket? Although, I guess you would smoke more than one at a time, but very very nice. We have a Lone Star Grillz fire pit. It's 48 inches across. Man, their stuff is built to last. I drove down to pick it up. They have a pretty nice setup there with some of their grills on display. But the fire pits all come with a removable swig grate for cooking. It's perfect for steaks and cooking just about anything over wood. It swings away, so you can control the heat if I'm using a cast iron skillet. And 48 inches, you can have a couple pans and still have room for steaks etc.

I love cooking outdoors and have done both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners on the fire pit.

Looks like you enjoy cooking outdoors also.

We used it last night to cook some potatoes.
S4HhzWel.jpg
 
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
8,317
Location
Dallas, TX
m657 said:
I've got a large Weber Performer(?) which is otherwise wonderful, yet I have yet to be able to get a long enough 225 for brisket. My last (of 3) attempts actually made it to the 'almost edible' stage.

Glad to hear of your success!!!

M657:
I had a Weber Performer for years. I never tried to use it as a smoker though. There are tricks in using a kettle grill as a smoker, you might look them up online. One thing you might try is getting started with the grill, add some smoke and after a couple hours, pull the brisket or ribs etc, and finish them in the oven. But I don't think a round grill will ever be able to duplicate the smoke quality of a smoker like the one Jim pictured.

Good luck!
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2003
Messages
5,743
Location
Richmond Texas USA
Yes Lone Star Grillz makes some outstanding well built stuff. The owner not only builds it but does great cooking on it.
I know I will not live long enough to wear this pit out. My Son also does great smoking it will go to him.
The last time I used my Lone Star I did 1 brisket, 6 racks of ribs, and 2 pork butts. I probably used a half sack of the big sacks like you get at Kroger for the 10 hours. When the briskets hits the stall I wrap it and finish it in the oven most of the time.


Here is some of my other stuff. I do my cooking in the hangar most of the time and store my equipment inside.

Fish, Mudbug, Turkey fryer, next to the table I made 30 years ago it has a pull out drawer for accesories under the second shelf .
The grill on the left is what I would take with me on out of town assignments. It comes apart in a flash without tools and has a side burner which I use a bunch.


This Napoleon Grill with side and rear burners is 25 years old and still a grillen.


This smoker does a good job for the price



My Shop/outdoor kitchen without a project :D :D


Time to eat some PIG


NAAAAAAAAAAAAA I want the COW


 
Joined
Apr 2, 2014
Messages
2,014
It's 4:15pm and all I've had to eat today is a banana, a bowl of oatmeal,
and one small yogurt.
I'm requesting the moderators BAN pictures like those posted above...
they are just flat wrong!!!!
Dave
 
Joined
May 14, 2010
Messages
1,547
Location
NH: LIVE FREE OR DIE
Kevin said:
Pretty much the standard recipe for brisket down here in Texas is Salt and Pepper.

I did the same for the turkey, it was just a turkey breast and after 3 hours we made some delicious sandwiches for lunch.

Are there are good BBQ joints up in NH?

Oh, and the filter is Photoshop.
There are a couple but nothing to compare to real Texas BBQ...I bought a Pit Boss pellet smoker last year and I have to say that it works really well...simple to operate and holds temperature superbly. I cold smoke, I.e, seafood and hot smoke to of course...haven’t tried brisket yet, but that is next....on the menu plan!!

Thanks
 
Joined
Sep 1, 2003
Messages
5,743
Location
Richmond Texas USA
Dave P. said:
It's 4:15pm and all I've had to eat today is a banana, a bowl of oatmeal,
and one small yogurt.
I'm requesting the moderators BAN pictures like those posted above...
they are just flat wrong!!!!
Dave

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Well tonight at Hayden's Starvation Central is One Rack of Baby Back Ribs smoked to perfection with generous amount of a Honey Rub along with a side of fried Golden Potatoes and Texas 1015 sweet onions fried in Bacon fat until tender, but not to crisp or soggy. The crispy bacon that the fat was extracted from will be showered atop the Potatoes and Onions along with a generous amount of cheddar cheese that will be melted at the absolute time required for a soft covering of gold.
NAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Maybe I will have a "a bowl of oatmeal" instead NOT :wink:
 
Top