Slam fires in Mini-30

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Old Griz

Bearcat
I was putting a red dot scope on my Mini 30, and while trying to sigh it in the gun began slam firing. It was suggested to me that the firing pin may be bent or very dirty. Was also told that the Wolf ammo is rough on firing pins. (Yes, that is what I was using.) Does anyone make a titanium firing pin for the Mini 30? Any other suggestions on what is causing the slam fires?

kwg020

Bearcat
Slam fire? I find it hard to believe you have a real slamfire. A bumpfire yes, slam fire, it's very difficult especially if you are shooting berdan primed ammo. Did you have your trigger "tuned up" ? kwg

kwg020

Bearcat
It sounds like the trigger has been worked on and the trigger is now letting the hammer fall by nothing more than slight pressure on the trigger. This trigger is dangerous and needs some professional help. kwg

Besides that, if the wrong person sees or hears you shooting it, you can end up getting your room and board paid for by the federal prison system for 10 or so years.

But, as with most things with guns.. the first thing to do is clean everything real well. both the trigger group and especially the firing pin chamber. Oddly enough, one of the problems with a mini-30 is just he opposite of what you described... in that the firing pin usually makes light primer strikes. Possibly, if you bought this rifle used someone has already replaced the pin and it is not specked out right?

martyj

Blackhawk
Odds are your shooting it off a bench with bags and has had the trigger tuned.
M1a with national match triggers will do this. Hold onto the forearm or shoot off hand and it disappears. The recoil rebounds the rifle and the finger hits the trigger and you don't even notice it.

Old Griz

Bearcat
blume357 said:
Possibly, if you bought this rifle used someone has already replaced the pin and it is not specked out right?

Actually, I did buy it used. But this is only the second time I have fired it. I bought it because relatives always wanted to go shooting when they came to visit. I wanted something cheap for them to shoot. (They never paid for ammo.) So I found this Mini 30 that looked brand new for only $400. Fired it when I first bought it and was impressed with its accuracy. However, it's been sitting in the safe for several years. Took up coyote hunting and decided to get it out. That's when the fun began. I've not noticed the trigger being exceptionally light. I guess I'll clean the bolt really well and get a new firing pin and see if that makes a difference.

kwg020

Bearcat
It sounds like you need to replace the trigger parts instead. You can start by making sure the trigger mechanism, especially the sear is NOT oiled. But, my guess is it's been "tuned" by someone who went too far with the trigger job. go to perfectunion.com and look for Gundoc at Great Northwestern gun smithing. He can fix it for you. You only need to send him the trigger group. My guess is your firing pin is just fine. kwg

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Blackhawk
It sounds like your trigger pull is just too light, it is possible to get multiple shots off because of this. Rather than sending it back in for another firing pin, replace the action springs with new standard rate ones from Ruger or Wolff Spring Co. That should take care of the problem and it will be much cheaper than sending the gun back. If it still "doubles" after that, it's possible a previous owner modified the hammer surfaces and it would be wise to return it to Ruger at that time.