'sixshots' .41 mag load

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Sixshot killed his cow elk with his prized .41 Bisley and pet load of a 250 gr. WFN over a dose of 9.2 grs. of Unique, sparked by a WLPP. When I left Idaho, sixshot and Callshot were gracious enough to loan me their mold(they own it together). Well, hunting season is over, and I had some time to cast a few bullets, and size and lube them. I loaded mine over a charge of 9.4 grs. of Unique(the closest I could get with the LEE auto disc system). I have a Ruger Bisley Hunter in .41 mag I scoped with a Leupold 4X scope. I was pleasantly surprised when my 11 year old daughter asked if we could go shooting on Mon.(Robert E. Lee's Birthday).

Well, I got the gun dialed in , and shot a group of 5, at 50 yds. Here's what it looked like.

41mag001.jpg

001.jpg

This load ambles along at about 1100 fps. I was proud of the way the gun and load shot. Thanks sixshot and Callshot , you can't argue with results like that !

callshot

Blackhawk
Jeff, it would help if you would tighten up your vise to hold your Bisley better. You would get all the shots in one hole. That is how I do it. :D Glad it is working for you. If you move the target out farther, we won't see any powder burns on them. :D You forgot to mention that Sixshots elk dropped straight down and rolled to the side after one shot with that bullet. A real meat pounder.

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Stonewall, I know that, we just celebrate it on Monday, for a 3 day weekend Holiday! :D

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Nice load and shooting for sure. I recall that one of the chaps on that hunt hit his elk well multiple times before it crashed. Did you all ever figure out what went on? Can you advise the load he used?

Zeus

Blackhawk
Great shooting Jeff!! Maybe if you work the powder a little each way, you can tighten that on up a little more :) :) I REALLY REALLY like the looks of that bullet!! Don't know that there is a better one made for the 41....

Boxhead":3ougeitu said:
Nice load and shooting for sure. I recall that one of the chaps on that hunt hit his elk well multiple times before it crashed. Did you all ever figure out what went on? Can you advise the load he used?

Thanks Boxhead, I haven't been called a chap in quite awhile :) The load that we used was a 250 grain Keith bullet (429421) cast with a soft nose over 21 grains of the old 2400. The sixgun was a standard 5.5" TLA #5. The bullets achieved full penetration and the exit holes were pretty impressive to say the least. One of the shots penetrated about 3.5 feet of elk prior to exiting and busting up the back left leg. The only thing I know is that she was really pumped up and full of adrenaline when I hit her. I've seen whitetails take a beating from 300 Weatherby's and run with lung hits when they are pumped up so I'm not shocked that she was able to move also. She was only on her feet for about 8-10 seconds so it wasn't that long, I just didn't give her any time prior to shooting her again. Learning experience I guess but I've messed up before "knowing" that one was going to fall on over and end up losing that animal to another hunter. I don't assume anything anymore :)

sixshot

Buckeye
Two things that really stand out about Jeff's target.........that is a fine shooting sixgun & a very good shooter behind the sights, a good load is no better than the guy pulling the trigger. Thats just outstanding shooting, many rifles won't do that!

On Zeus's elk I doubt I'll ever witness another one take that many good hits along with great penetration & expansion. I have witnessed one antelope take about the same punishment & run quite a distance, Glenn's elk only covered 60-70 yds but its just one of those things in hunting that is hard to explain.

Dick

Fowler

Single-Sixer
Sixshot you forgot the detail that Hoover does not know the difference between feet and yards! Ha ha ha...

Some elk are more willing to accept their deaths than other elk, Glenn's just wouldn't accept her place in his freezer!

Nice shooting though....

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Boxhead":fz9rwbei said:

Thanks Boxhead, I haven't been called a chap in quite awhile :) The load that we used was a 250 grain Keith bullet (429421) cast with a soft nose over 21 grains of the old 2400. The sixgun was a standard 5.5" TLA #5. The bullets achieved full penetration and the exit holes were pretty impressive to say the least. One of the shots penetrated about 3.5 feet of elk prior to exiting and busting up the back left leg. The only thing I know is that she was really pumped up and full of adrenaline when I hit her. I've seen whitetails take a beating from 300 Weatherby's and run with lung hits when they are pumped up so I'm not shocked that she was able to move also. She was only on her feet for about 8-10 seconds so it wasn't that long, I just didn't give her any time prior to shooting her again. Learning experience I guess but I've messed up before "knowing" that one was going to fall on over and end up losing that animal to another hunter. I don't assume anything anymore :)[/quote]

Well Zeus, I have been working around a pile of Brit's since moving out here. I hope too much doesn't rub off.. I do believe they key words in your story are "really pumped up". The only elk I have had run for quite a ways was shot in full gallop at around 40 yards with a 260 Partition from a 375 H&H. Frankly I though I missed until I heard the crashing in the timber well below me. Both of his lungs were a real mess. Nice shooting.

dougader

Hunter
Elk can take some hard hits and still put some yards between you... they're dead and just don't know it.