OM 44 Mag Flattop 7.5"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

twriggen

Single-Sixer
I picked up an OM flattop 7.5" recently and I'm usually quite the purest on my old Rugers and planned to convert it back to original. It had a NM steel XR3-RED grip frame on it when I brought it home and after swapping out the grip frames last night back to the original XR3 it just didn't feel right. I then swapped out that frame and put an OM Brass frame on it and reminded myself how much I dislike the square back trigger guard. Next, I pulled out this NM steel Super Grip frame with a round trigger guard and BAMM. This is how it's going to stay. This grip frame with the wide trigger and Super hammer just feels right.

As a purest myself I should also point out that somewhere along the line someone drilled the top strap and then it was welded closed and reblued. Not a horrible job but not a job you would be happy with if you paid a lot of money to get done. With the collectability virtually gone I feel comfortable with my next plans below.

1710199676875.png

I have in my collection an all blue RSSE. I'm going to send this flat top off to an engraver and have it done up with a similar pattern as the original RSSE to make a "Matching Set". It's hard to tell but the serial numbers are within 16 of each other.

1710199763020.png

well I like it and they would make "quite the pair", yes , any engrasving would be a excellent cover up for any poor welding job,,we did a few over the years but I lost access to the old Hobart we used and all the guys today want to mig or tig and that is too hot, get that small 3/8 inch dark blue "spot annealed" after the bluing, just not right to me Z( I know , you gotta re heat treat,but out of my pay grade)........let us see a picture of the "after", my engraving guys are dropping off and I'm down to my last "friend", Mr. Tony Tuscano, and I am not getting any engraving of anything else these days......thanks for sharing (y) ;)

gunman42782

Hunter
I think it's beautiful! I know a lot of folks love the original XR3 gripframe, but the RED gripframe fits me much better, and a steel gripframe helps with recoil a bunch. The stocks on it are amazing too! The Single SIx is likewise beautiful.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Wondering if a Turnbull CC treatment would hide the plug on the topstrap (and then some nice engraving.... I do like engraving if done well).
J.

Latest posts