Six Series & Herretts grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
After buying 3,4 & 5 inch GP100s my interest has switched to the Security, Service and Speed Sixes. Recently I've discovered Herretts grips fit my hands well and the guns perfectly. I bought them for three so far.
IMG_2623.JPG

You can still find Herrett grips for the Six series revolvers but it's getting harder. J Scott also made grips for the Sixes in both OEM style and over sized. The Herrett "Shooting Star" grips for the Sixes are very nice and hand filling if that is what you need. You can also find, every now and then, Ruger OEM "target" grips (they called them oversized - look for the code RGL).

hittman

Staff member
I recently bought a LOW back 6 inch Security Six I'd been chasing for quite a while. I was delighted to see it came with the Herrets like pictured on your Speed Six above. Think the LOW back Herrets pretty elusive these days too.

Here's another scarce set that fit my hands well …. Maybe you'd like these too if you can find some. Numrich had a pile of the a few years back but are sold out now I think.

Are those the Sile made in Italy you mentioned?
No, the RLG's are normally lighter in color and the parts for the screw are made differently and the screw is a bit larger in diameter.

FYI, the grips that hittman mentioned and showed seem to be in stock at Numrich https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/ruger/revolvers-ruger/security-6 These are very nice comfortable grips also.

Grips, Oversized Square Butt, Goncalo Alves, w/o Grip Screw
Product #: 1176710
Part Key: 23

hittman

Staff member
Good to see Numrich has them back! I bought 2 sets when they were about $40 each. Like them especially with the 6 inch guns.

Before I went to the stag grips on my Speed Six I had Herrett's it that I modified. Smooth Shooting stars; Shortened at the butt so there was only about 1/8" - 3/16" of wood covering the bottom of the grip frame. I rounded the edges then stripped off the old finish and re-finished them. They were right handy but I like the current old stags a lot better so the old Herrett's went down the road. Herrett's makes a darn nice grip for the six series revolvers

How it used to look with the Herretts

SpeedSix003.jpg
SpeedSix002.jpg

Last edited: