Single Six Hunter range report - Part 2

Help Support Ruger Forum:

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
This is a duplicate of what I posted on Rimfirecentral, but I figured the Single Six folks might have some interest here as well.

I just returned from the range, where I did further testing of my scoped Ruger Single Six Hunter at 50 yards...once again in 100 degree heat. This test was done as a follow up to the one I did several weeks ago where I tested several types of 22LR ammo and one 22WMR ammo. In that test, I tried Remington Standard Velocity 22LR Target ammo for the first time, and in one group I got a group of 0.749" from 3 consecutive shots. Over on RugerForum.com, one gentleman recommended that I set up 6 targets and shoot "chamber groups", where I fire multiple shots from a single chamber and do that for each chamber on the cylinder. That's what I did today for the 22LR cylinder. I also tested Remington 33gr Accutip-V 22WMR ammo and will discuss those results as well.

First, I fired a cylinder group (i.e., load the whole cylinder and fire it as a 6-shot group) of the Remington 22LR Target ammo. I also fired a cylinder group of Remington 22LR Yellow Jackets, both as a first time tryout of the ammo and as a control group measurement. The Yellow Jackets went all over the place. This will be plinking ammo only unless a subsequent test at only 25 yards returns an acceptable accuracy result for small game hunting. The Remington ammo wasn't great, about 2.3", but it was notably better than the YJ's, so I selected it for the chamber group testing.

Next I fired 3-shots from each individual chamber at 6 different targets. The first and third group were my expected performance from the gun, about 1.5" at 50yds. However, the 2 group measured only 0.735"!!!! This is the 2nd 3/4" group I've gotten at 50yds. The bottom row (groups 4, 5, and 6) are terrible, because Mr. I've Got a Short Barreled AR-15 sat down right next to me and totally threw off my concentration.

2011-06-28_17-14-49_851.jpg

Then I tested the Remington 33gr Accutip-V 22WMR ammo. Also at 50yds. In this test, I benchmarked the Accutips against the performance of the Winchester X22MH 40gr hollow points. These are not the DynaPoints, but a regular JHP which, for whatever, reason is more expensive than the Dynapoints. I forgot to label the top and bottom rows correctly on the target, but the top 3 6-shot cylinder groups are the Winchesters, and the bottom 3 are the Accutips. As you can see in the target, the Winchesters are still good enough to hunt with. A 3" group on a coon, bobcat, coyote, body shot on a rabbit is all going to result in a dead animal. But, given the better performance of the 22LR cylinder, the Winchesters don't exactly dazzle from a target/grouping perspective. The Accutips didn't do much better from a numbers basis, but the first 5 shots on the first target (lower left corner) grouped into 1.7" and felt very consistent. The other two targets are nothing to brag about, and if things don't improve in subsequent tessts, I'll just opt for the much cheaper Winchesters or CCI Maxi-Mags. Now here's the dirty little secret on the Accutips, they were $21.99 at Gander Mtn. I would not have bought them, but I was distracted by my 3 kids, all who are under 5yrs old, and I grabbed them thinking they were $12.99. So basically, I sucker-punched myself in the junk for about 9 bucks on the Accutips. For a one-time deal to try, I'm not going to whine, but I won't be buying them at that price ever again.

2011-06-28_17-14-35_120.jpg

I realize these targets aren't going to sweep the internet and revolutionize what people think of the Single Six, particularly not the more expensive Hunter model. Still, I absolutely love shooting the gun, even if it is so ridiculously heavy that I'd never go for a stroll in the woods with it to enjoy a nice day of popping squirrels. If I were to do that, the scope would come off, and more likely, I would just take the 4 5/8" model I have on the way. I'll keep posting results, and even if they aren't that impressive, hopefully it will help other folks see what the SS is capable of and how some ammo performs.

In Part 3, I will probably test more brands of ammo for grouping at 50yds, most likely some Eley and Maxi-Mags. I'll also try to repeat the 3/4" performance in the one 22LR chamber, and I'll run the Accutips again. By then I'll have the 4 5/8" model, so there may be a target completely peppered all over with a sloppy grin report on how much fun it was shooting.

Finally, if the one chamber on the 22LR cylinder proves consistent, any recommendations on who I should send it to to have the chambers marked or numbered?

Sorry it was so long winded. Hope it was helpful.

Floridaoutdoors

Single-Sixer
I am fairly new to the Forum,such efforts,feedback is really grand.
Am appreciating new insights on the Rugers I have used and enjoyed for up to 35 years.Scrutinizing and cleaning forcing ones I barely paid attention to LOL.

this was a masterful effort pit dog.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Honestly, you need a lot more data. Take a piece of white lable. Cut it into about 1/4" wide strip and wrap it around your cyclinder. Then number the chambers on that strip. Next print off paper 5 targets with 6 targets per page. Then load the gun and shoot each target on the paper with the assigned cylinder. I would recommend you do this so you have six 5 shot groups for each cylinder on a single sheet. Then do it again 4 more times. That will give you five 5 shot groups for each cylinder. And I wouldn't do any of this until you know what ammo your hunter likes. Mine likes CCI SV and Federal Auto Match.

BTW, are you using a scope or open sights?

Good luck!

Three44s

Single-Sixer
If it were my gun, I'd try all available brands to find a good one.

I'd look at getting all the chambers up to snuff if possible.

I'd look at a trigger job if that's an issue.

And I'd get the book on cast bullet maximization from Beartooth Bullets. Yes, these are not cast bullets you are shooting but it's the best work few only a few bucks around on maxing out your weapon with regards to fire lapping etc.

If your gun is like my rimfires, it will have a DEFINITE preference to a particular round .... not just brand but also loading.

I have never found great accuracy with those super speeder WMR's ...... and in my opinion a handgun is working against the wind with them more than a rifle to boot.

Best of luck with your journey!

Three 44s

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
Yes, my current plan is to use the best load so far as the control group against a new brand. Then shoot chamber groups with the better of the two.

Really what I'd like to do is have a pause button on my kids so that I could sneak away for one full day and just test everything all at once, but I suppose the limited personal time is what makes this experiment enjoyable.

americal

Hunter
JMHO--need to spend hours shooting that gun :!: I have shot a 550 box hundreds of times at one sitting, trigger has to be RIGHT. I believe you can get better groups with that gun --yes other shooters are a pain but thats part of concentration and breathing practice a fine post --you are gonna be fine because you want to get as good as your gun and bullets will perform 8) THANKS for posting