Single Six bore diameter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eyeseeum

Bearcat
Thinking of buying a stainless single six without many shots through it. Made in 2013 in real nice shape. I understand the .224 vs .222 bore difference and I'm fine with it. Wanted to check before buying if it measured .225 or .226 as I have heard is possible so I took it to a machine shop today and a .220 pin was barely able to fit down muzzle. I didn't force it but probably could have gently screwed it in. My question is would that translate to a larger diameter than .224. Don't know if someone on here with knowledge of these things might be able to help. Probably no big deal but I would like to insure that I will be the reason for missing a squirrel. Thanks guys

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
To get a proper bore diameter,, you need to "slug" the bore. That is,,, to drive a pure lead, (read soft) slug through the bore then measure the OD. That would tell you more than the pin gauge.
And I can assure you,,, if you miss,, it'll more likely be you, not the gun's fault. :D :D

eyeseeum

Bearcat
thanks for the response contender. can i use a lead round nose bullet or is that not pure enough lead?

yes, the old bullet would work, they make some stuff called "Cerosafe" to do the job correctly and not harm the bore in any way, you CAN damage the lands, speaking of which, that is what the measurement you are getting ,the "lands", NOT the "grooves....pictures in a book such as cartridges of the world will give you any and ALL the various bore measurements ever been out there 8) :wink:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
eyeseeum said:
thanks for the response contender. can i use a lead round nose bullet or is that not pure enough lead?

A lead .22 long rifle bullet is the PERFECT candidate for slugging a .22 rimfire bore. That's what I use as they're readily available. The trick is..............getting the bullet out of a cartridge case without damage. You, or anyone else who is interested, will find that slugging a .22 rimfire bore will be very informative by showing where "tight and open" spots are in a .22 rimfire bore during the slugging process.

Here's an inertia bullet puller that I made up several years ago, just for pulling .22 rimfire bullets. The whole outfit, comprising all the parts involved was purchased from Menard's here in Rice Lake, WI. Total cost was around $3.50.

SXfptDll.jpg

NOTE: No! None of the cartridges from the 100+ bullets I pulled when using this puller went off! Not ONE. So, if somebody claims that a round will go off, they have never done the process.
If anyone would like a "Bill of Materials" for this puller, there's very little actual machining involved, it's mostly an assembly project ( [email protected] ). The only cutting and shaping involves the oak dowel handle.

eyeseeum

Bearcat
Thank y'all for all the info. I will give that a try. Does it matter if the bullet goes muzzle first or chamber first?

eyeseeum said:
Thank y'all for all the info. I will give that a try. Does it matter if the bullet goes muzzle first or chamber first?

I would think that pulling the bolt and starting/driving it from the chamber end would be easiest (and have less potential for muzzle wear), but I've never actually done it.

Looking forward to hearing how others do it.

Uncle Howie said:
I would think that pulling the bolt and starting/driving it from the chamber end would be easiest (and have less potential for muzzle wear), but I've never actually done it.

When was a 'bolt' installed on a Single Six? :? :?

Fox Mike said:
Uncle Howie said:
When was a 'bolt' installed on a Single Six? :? :?

HOLY COW... I've got MKIIs on my brain, and egg on my face!
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Wow... I certainly failed reading comprehension this morning!

I was picturing it in my mind, as to just how I'd slug that MKII barrel!

Thanks for the catch, Fox Mike!

I'd like to claim that I was on a "different thread" when I posted that, but a "different planet" is more like it... :shock: