Sights for 77/357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jgr1974

Single-Sixer
Just wondering for those who have them, what sights/scopes you are using on them? Wondering how a red dot would work?

HardBall

Bearcat
I've wondered about this also. My Lyman Deerstalker ML came with Williams fire-sights as did my Ruger compact 10/22. I've thought about adding them to my 77/357 as well- whenever it comes in.

RJ556

Buckeye
I have mine set up with XS ghost ring rear and XS blade front. The rear sight is mounted in the back of the 2 rear scope mount positions. I can remove the aperture and install a pre-set-up and zeroed Weaver 3x scope, all within a few minutes. My 77/44 is set up the same way.
IMG_0725.jpg

jjas

Single-Sixer
HardBall said:
That stainless/Walnut setup is gorgeous!

I agree. I wish Ruger would offer both the 77/44 and the 77/357 that way.

jgr1974

Single-Sixer
I really like ghost rings didnt think to give one of those a try!

RJ556

Buckeye
Two holes must be drilled and one of them tapped to mount the sight. One for a peg on the sight is drilled in the bottom of the scope ring lug cut-out and the other is .500" behind it and that one is tapped with 8-40 threads. You are better off sending it out if you don't have a drill press and the proper drills and tap. That stainless is very tough metal. I love these sights. I shot a hog last year with a 30-30 Marlin with a set of these sights. He was running across a road, about 40 yards from me. there was heavy brush on both sides of the road, so I had a small window of about 15 feet for less than a second to fire. I knew he was going to cross, so I already had the rifle to my shoulder. I got on him and the trigger broke about 2 feet before he was into the brush he was headed for. The bullet took off the top half of his heart. The thing I like best about XS ghost ring sights is that they allow you to SEE your target. I wouldn't have got that hog if I would have had an NECG peep sight on my rifle. Now if you absolutely do not want to drill and tap your receiver, you can make something up that is detachable, like I did for my K77RSI.
IMG_0403.jpg

rino

Bearcat
I installed a NECG peep site on my 77/357. It works great with the front site. I have been trying it mounted after and before the reciever. I hace the NECG peeper on three Rugers.

RJ556

Buckeye
To me they are a good sight for paper punching, but for shooting game, it is like shooting the animal through a peep hole in a wall, therfore hard to get on a moving animal.

rino

Bearcat
Yes, I agree. I dont hunt anything, but if i did I would use a scope just to help ensure a clean kill. Nothing against those that are good enough to get a clean kill with iron sites. For me I enjoy shooting offhand and destroying clay pigieons set out at 50 and 100 yards with iron sites.
Also offhand with a 22 rifle at a steel target at the same distances.
Shooting has so many enjoyable parts to it. There is something for everyone.

RJ556

Buckeye
There sure is something for everyone. Something I like to do when shooting my hi-power rifles at 100 yards, I bring along a 22 rifle to shoot while the barrels on the big ones cool. Some of the more inexpensive 22's have amazed me at the accuracy they are capable of.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Seems like it would be easy enough to "ghost ring" the NECG. I'll have to fiddle with mine when I get home. Bought it years ago cheap and threw in the drawer. Now I have the same, a 7x57 stainless RSI, to pick up this weekend so a project lurks...

jkc

Bearcat
Not that anybody asked, but the NECG makes a pretty good ghost ring if you just leave off the factory aperture inserts...

RJ556

Buckeye
"Not that anybody asked, but the NECG makes a pretty good ghost ring if you just leave off the factory aperture inserts..."

...So then there is nothing to lock the elevation adjustment of the aperture and it is free to drift...

And, with those huge metal walls on either side of the aperture, just as you pull the trigger on that little 8 point, a huge mature heavy beamed 10 pointer steps out of the brush into open sight, several yards to the left of the spindly buck you are shooting. But you did not see the big buck because of the NECG wall of metal on both sides of your "ghost ring" aperture. :x

PJR

Bearcat
I put a Skinner barrel-mounted apeture on my 77/44 and it works well with the factory front sight. I can't say whether it would work as well with the 77/357.

The Skinner fit into the Ruger dovetail easily enough and although it quite doesn't match the barrel contour precisely it still looks pretty good. Having tried a couple of the apeture sights (grooved piece in the picture) I took it out and just use it as a ghost ring.

004.jpg

Latest posts