Sightron Scopes?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sharp Shooter

Single-Sixer
Has anyone had experience with Sightron brand scopes?
My new rifle, a .308 Norma should be here next week and I'm looking for a scope for it. I'll probably end up with about a 3-9X40 of some kind. I have Leopolds on most of my other rifles, but this time I'm thinking about trying something different.
I see that Midway sells the various grades and models of Sightron scopes for almost the same price as the various grades and models of Leopold scopes. So I guess what I'm kind of asking is; seeing as how they both cost about the same, how do Sightron scopes REALLY compare to Leopold scopes?
Thanks,
Jim (SS)

A

Anonymous

SS I don't have a Sightron but over at the SWAF optics talk discussion page they seem well thought of as well as the Vortex line of scopes. Due to this I have handled several of each recently and have to say I was pretty impressed at the image and the general construction of the scopes. Both seem to have good customer service reputations as well. I can't really say much for long term service but I would be tempted to give them a try especially if I was looking for a cheaper line of scopes for an occasional/ light use rifle. On the other hand like you I have always considered a Leupold the top of the heap so if I was going to spend the same $$ it would be hard for me to pass on a vx-ii or vx-iii. Bye the way I recently bought a new redfield . I liked it quite a bit as far as being a nice scope. I did not keep it as it was too short for the application I had in mind but for a lower priced scope it was really nice and it is backed by Leupolds reputation.

Hammer

Single-Sixer

Have had several Sightron scopes as well as other brands over the years.

The Sightrons I have had are the SII and SIII series -- no SI scopes.

The Sightron's best feature is the ability to sight-in quickly and repeat settings. Their windage and elevation adjustments are good.

My primary use for them has been prairie doggin'.

Have recommended Sightrons to friends in the past and they remained friends after using them.

Sam's Gun Shop in Pocatello sells the Sightrons if you want to handle one.