Sight question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan Brennan

Bearcat
Hello all,
I am interested in adding a scope to my new Mark IV stainless steel target pistol. This is something that I would like to do to enhance my shooting experience. I need some information on what to buy. Which would be a better choice, a Picatinny rail or weaver? What sight would be recommended to mount on that rail? Is the mounting of the rail and sight something I can do or should a gunsmith do the installation? Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Regards, Dan Brennan

welcome to the Forum, use the flat Weaver or picatinny rail as there are more options available, such as red /green dots, crosshairs, 'post's whatever, and whatever your eyes find useful, I will tell you to stay away from any "magnification beyond ,say 1 or 1 1/2 power as the average human being cannot hold the gun steady enough to stop the "shaking" quivering of the crosshairs.....there is lots and lots of tuff out there see if you can use ,borrow , or try any of the "extended eye relief" systems that are out there...
good luck, and practice, practice, practice...............

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Use the Picatinny rail as it is more versatile. Any mount or rings that will work on a Weave base will also work on a Picatinny but not necessarily the reverse. There are a few Red Dot sights I know of that will only work on a Picatinny rail. Also the Picatinny gives you more flexibility to position the scope or red dot.

Installing the rail is very simple. Remove the plug screws, degrease (alcohol or acetone will work) the threaded holes and mounting screws, put a drop of Blue Lock-tite on each screw and bolt the mount in place and tighten the screws firmly. Done.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
All excellent advice above.
First decide what you'll be using the gun for. If for hunting,,, then a scope may be the better option,, in a 2X type. There are several out there,, and you can bargain hunt & find a fair deal. As noted,,, above a 2X,, you'll see all your "shakes."
If for general target work,, plonking,,, & occasional critter stuff,,, then I do recommend a dot type optic. You can get compact types,, which look quite nice atop a MK IV and they provide excellent accuracy for aging eyes,,,, OR,,,, if you like to speed shoot,,, very quick shots as they are fast on target. Get a low MOA dot such as 2, or 3 MOA so you can be a bit more precise when adjusting it. Red dots are the most common,,, but green ones are out there. Colors depend upon YOUR eyes & what they like.
As for rails,,, either type will work,, but the edge goes to the Picatinny type as it is a bit more versatile. BUT,,, once mated & mounted,,, you'll likely never change it. If you go with a dot type,,, check & see what they require BEFORE you buy a mount.

Qman2

Bearcat
I'd suggest that you buy your optic first, then buy the mount that fits the optic. If you buy the Weaver mount in advance, you are then forced to pick a Weaver type Optic. Now, there are certainly lots of Weaver options but I'm saying the only purpose of the mount is to hold the sight of your choice.

I recently mounted a Vortex Venom red dot on my Mark IV. The Venom requires a picatinny rail that I purchased from ShopRuger.com after I bought the sight. Ruger's rail is a perfect fit to the predrilled holes on your Mark IV. This is easily a DIY project. Zeroing is next but I have a Cabelas bore sighter that was pretty dang accurate. All that's left then is shooting some ammo for final sight adjustments.

If you just bought a new Mark IV, register it online at Ruger and receive a 20% off first purchase coupon from ShopRuger.

Good Luck!

2017-01-24%2019.40.00_zpsbm63r7y8.jpg