Shout Out to Any Universal Fans

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I like it. I use it in ,357 and others. It meters nice and leaves the gun clean. I use the Hodgdon data. Since it is mostly what I use I do not have a good basis for comparison with other powders. I like it better than Tite group because is is a little less dense and the loads fill the case better.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

First off, I needed to clean the glasses, since I didn't notice what cartridge is being loaded! Ok, now that I see it's the .357 Mag, I can't offer any hands on experience. In metallic cartridges I've only loaded it with lead so far, in .38 Spl, where it behaves much like Unique, though much cleaner.

I was introduced to Universal for 20 ga shotshell use when it first came out, and the guys shooting autoloaders loved it because of that clean burning quality. For shotshell use it's a great powder. And for most uses, it's gained a lot of converts from Unique, which says something about us die hards who grew up on Unique and still like it for its versatility. Universal's close in that department, too: Hodgdon's website shows 158 gr lead in loadings from warm .38 Spl to full .357 Mag level. They only show the XTP bullet for jacketed,though, so reference to a couple of the books is probably the best advice.

Betcha like it!

Rick C

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I was a Universal fan in 9mm and .38 prior to the great shortage. It was unavailable for a couple years and I tried lots of other powders simply because they were all that I could get.

Well, now Universal is available again. I now load for .357 as well. I tried it again and understand why it was my favorite. I use coated in .38, and plated in 9mm and .357. I get better accuracy with Universal than the old standby HP38. Universal meters well for me. It works well in middle of the data loads. As a plus, it is one of the cheaper powders available at one of my LGSs. Titegroup is a little cheaper per load because it takes so little, but not by a whole lot.

I use dead in the middle loads for both the coated in .38 and the plated in .357. I don't load that much 9mm, so I can't tell you off the top of my head, but I think I use about 3/4 up the data.

I originally switched to Universal when trying to load cast in 9mm. I had been using Titegroup, and thought a slower powder might help with the leading issues. It seemed to help reduce leading, and I liked the wider latitude between start and max afforded by Universal vs Titegroup. It also filled the case a little better, making visual inspection easier.

5of7

Hunter
I first used Universal for 20/28 ga. skeet loads, then later started using it for handgun loads. According to the results I got, it seems to have a burning rate similar to Unique. It does burn cleaner than Unique and equal charges give velocities almost identical to Unique. It seems to be best for a mid-range load, which in the .357 would be shooting the 158 gr. bullet at around 900-1000 fps in a revolver with a 6" bbl.

As has been said, Hodgdon has data on their web site. 8)

mikld

Blackhawk
Been using Universal for quite a while now, couldn't find any Unique during obumma's first term so I got some Universal.I'm using it for all my handgun uses; 9mm, 38 Special, .357 Mag., .44 Special, and .44 Magnum. No real drawbacks that I can see after
a couple thousand rounds using it...

Rclark

Hunter
I use it just like I use Unique in all the cartridges I shoot. Works well. Meters better than Unique at least for me. But have lots of Unique, so don't use Universal much now. Thing is, if one can't find Unique, use Universal, or 20/28 . You have 'options'!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I shoot a lot of Universal in 38 special and 357 magnum as well as some other cartridges and even in 30-30 rifle reduced loads. Some of my favorite loads are what I call the 4, 5, 6 grains of universal with 158gr bullets. That's 4.0gr in the 38 special, 5.0gr for a light load in the 357 magnum and 6.0gr for a normal load in the 357 magnum. Bullets can be cast, plated or jacketed. :D

I just bought a pound of Universal, Jimbo357mag in another thread said if I liked Unique I'd love Universal. So I was at the store just browsing, and they had one pound of Universal left. I haven't tried it yet, but the wide range of calibers it can be used for is appealing.

And a bit off subject the reloading store said they were getting a large shipment of powders and primers the following week. Which is always nice to hear. I just hate to pay haz mat fees for powder and primers.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Hodgdon is also nice enough to have lots of reloading data available for Universal online. They even have Cowboy type loads incorporated into their data.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/