Shooting Rest

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'll bite--FOR SHOOTING WHAT?
I/we use leather sandbags BUT the short barreled Ruger 22 pistols don't sit well and/or tend to settle into the bag too deep and blow holes in it. Preventing this requires the shooter's hands to sit atop the bags which is less stable. There are tringle or pyramid shaped polymer wedges that might work better but I haven't tried them. Another possibility would be one of the adjustable rest/support devices that use a forked front barrel support and a pad for the shooter's hands/pistol butt. Maybe not as solid as sandbags but also not requiring hand sewing up the holes later.
If you're using a 5.5" or longer barrel, the sandbags work well.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
I second the question, "for shooting what?"

Different requirements can dictate the type of rest.

But, in general, a sandbag of some type allows solid support, yet also "gives" enough under recoil to prevent bad movement. But if the muzzle blast is allowed to happen on the bag, it can & will damage the bag.
There are various "V-type" handgun rests. As long as it has a firm, yet flexible rest for the frame & maybe part of the barrel, it will work. Add to it by having a rear rest for the hands.

This info is for shooting off a bench.

If in the field,, different types of a rest are required. Primos makes a thing called a "Trigger Stick" that's quite good for hunting use.

I think Contender and I concur on a good place to start. If you choose to shoot standing or not from a bench, there are taller 2 or 3 legged (Trigger Stick/BogPod) devices that will extend to give support.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I use sandbags at the range and my backpack in the field.... I wrap Gorilla tape around the top bag to protect from cylinder spray and muzzle blast. Never really thought that I needed anything else IMHO.

J.

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
This is handy for pistol. https://www.boghunt.com/pods/tripods/

1665361300465.png

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
If I can make something I will, instead of buying it. This rest I made a few years ago out of some scrap wood, leather, and channel. Adjustable for height, and arm rest. Cost was zero. It's currently clamped to my back porch rail. Every handgun I own, from .22 to .45, revolvers and pistols, has been sighted in from this rest.

k8dFxp7.jpg

Last edited:

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I used a Caldwell shooting rest today for the first time. I think it's filled with corn Cobb Medea and it's pretty heavy. It worked really well for my purpose.